Just a few positive things to say - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Smile Just a few positive things to say

I just recently returned from a few days of riding in PA.
I thought I would briefly comment on the most noticable things about the trip:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE BIKE. I can't really think of one thing that bothers me, or irritates me about the LT.

Sure, always will be problems of various sizes with anything mechanical, however, I have now put on 30K miles since I've owned it(1.5 years) and have not had 1 problem worth mentioning. (Watch; now I'll have something major happen)

Love the size, weight, high centre of gravity, seat comfort, adjustable windshield, brakes, brakes, brakes, suspension, stereo, ABS, OEM grips, luggage capacity, road presence, power, etc. etc. etc.

Can't think of another bike that I would have wanted to be on for 3 days of riding in cold and blustery and rainy weather.

THere are other bikes that are good, maybe even great. This is my 5th bike and, like my SO said a few weeks ago during one weekend ride: I guess we don't really need to get another bike because this one's just perfect.

PA roads are fantastic, even in the cool ( 42 - 52 degrees) weather. Discovered all sorts of wonderful towns, roads, eateries and of course, Pittsburgh is rejuvenated and always a pleasure to visit.

Not many bikes on the road,especially with the weather but, if more people were riding the LT , there would be more bikes this time of year in the North East.

Cheers All.
JS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 5:04 pm

I agree, the LT is a great bike.

This fall, I purchased a 2002 K1200LT. Since that time I have heard the horror stories about failed clutches and final drives. Since then, I have put about a thousand miles on the bike. At first, I worried about a catastrophic failure and at every stop I checked my rear tire for excess play.

Last Sunday, I got a call from a friend asking me if I wanted to go on a ride. The day was cool and blustery, but I agreed. After a pleasant day, we found ourselves over hundred miles from home and only about an hour of daylight left. My wife did not want to ride through some mountain passes that lay between us and home after dark.

So I kicked "Swoopy" in the butt and rode her "like I stole her." We made it home just as twilight was falling in about an hour and a half. In that time, I learned what a great bike the LT actually is. I doubt that any touring bike handles the curves and mountain roads like this one. There were several others in the group and we told them we were going to hurry to get through the canyon before dark. I passed several of my friends on Goldwings in the twisties like they were standing still.

My wife and I were going to quit riding because we are nearly 70 and did not enjoy long trips any more. I thought my 1986 Harley FXRD would see us through what ever riding we had left. After riding the LT, I wonder why I waited so long to try a Beemer. Can't wait for next spring so we can hit the road for some long trips. I plan to maintain the bike and do all the necessary upkeep, but I have no doubts that she will uphold her end of the deal. I love this bike, despite what flaws it may have.

Walking-dude.
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 5:43 pm

LT Love

I bought mine last June and since then have put on a bit over 6,000 miles on her. Love her death. Not a hint of a problem on my 2000 and I just turned 44k. I have learned her little slow speed tricks and feel very comfortable on her in all situations. On the road she's a dream. I'm 63 and am looking forward to years of joy on this bike.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 6:51 pm

Be ware

I agree with you guys so far. My main ride is an 02 RT which I put over 20K on each year. So far the bike has only needed regular maintenance. My wife didn't like the RT, so she "encouraged" me to get an LT, which I did. I bought Emil, with 48K on his clock, from a long time BMW rider in Newark and rode it home after only a 20 minute test ride. Since April, Emil, my wife, and I have logged over 10K miles. Yes, he gets regular oil changes, and will soon have his engine coolant changed and get a good once over, but he has performed exemplarily...just as expected. With 58K on him, I'm leaving Saturday for a 10 day trip including an excursion into Minnesota, down to Memphis, and then back home to Knoxville. I have no reservations, whatsoever, about taking him. The cruise control, heated seats, and marginally better wind protection are the reason he's going over the RT. He may go kerblooey tomorrow. My Dodge truck pooed it's transmission after only 44K. I still drive it. My wife's van pooed it transmission after 135K miles. She still takes it to work everyday. Things mechanical break. Expect it. One day my RT and LT will let me down; no doubt about it. But I'll repair it and ride it again until it's next poo hemorrage.

I just want to tell you guys to beware. Saying good things about your Beemers on this Beemer site and not complaining about every little thing will get you black balled quicker than anything. Humor those who value the thrill of telling us ad nauseum that the sky is falling. Go, ride the wheels off your LT and enjoy the hound out of them! Just don't tell others what a great time your having. It drives them crazy.
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 8:16 pm

It is threads like this that will help to temper the negative threads on the site. It's good to hear about the great attributes of the K1200LT, isn't it?

Don't be too hard on those who post threads with complaints or questions. That's one of the real values of this site -- lots of experience to draw on.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Nothing wrong with the negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
It is threads like this that will help to temper the negative threads on the site. It's good to hear about the great attributes of the K1200LT, isn't it?

Don't be too hard on those who post threads with complaints or questions. That's one of the real values of this site -- lots of experience to draw on.
Howard:
It's not that the negative is bad; it is what it is.
Airing the dirty laundry of the LT is part of the process of getting to know it better and either learning to love it or .... leave it.

I just had to express my pleasure of the ride and knew that others out there were feeling the same way, but, often don't get around to expressing it.

JS
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starky
Howard:
It's not that the negative is bad; it is what it is.
Airing the dirty laundry of the LT is part of the process of getting to know it better and either learning to love it or .... leave it.

I just had to express my pleasure of the ride and knew that others out there were feeling the same way, but, often don't get around to expressing it.

JS
I think something was lost in translation -- that's exactly what I was trying to say. I was expressing pleasure over reading positive threads like this, and trying to provide a diplomatic counter to the complaint about those who complain.

In other words: I agree with you, and thanks for taking the time to make it public!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2007, 9:43 pm

Love my LT

Reading all the bad press made me not ride then I just started riding it and having a ball . Love this bike .

Dan Jones 2004 K1200LT and 1993 ZX11C
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 3:13 am

Gotta agree with the love showered down on the LT in this thread. The bike is by far the best and most fun full tourer out there. I've loved mine to death for 6 years. At 6'4" and 210lbs this bike doesn't feel as big or heavy as it is (until I park next to something else). It's a great combo of comfort and sport. My wife and I have made many great road memories touring the west.

For me the problem is that I have had a few major issues. No biggie that's what moving parts do...right!? Not exactly...BMW sells the bike and for all intents and purposes ignores you when you have a problem. That is where my irritation begins.

GREAT BIKE...lousy company.

Did I mention the bike kicks butt in every way?

post #10 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 7:44 am

As you said, anything that is machanical can and will one day go wrong - that is just normal.
I love this bike so much, I will always forgive its mechanical normalities.
The feeling you get when you ride it, is unmatchable by any other bike.
The distence you can get out of her in one day, without feeling exhausted, is unrivalled. Sure you can customise other bikes for that feeling, but this one is that good right out of the box!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #11 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 7:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

A good read.

I've had my share of issues this year such that I haven't had much time on the bike (clutch, fuel gauge, battery, FD) and have lost confidence in it's long range wellness.
It's threads like this that make me really want the bike back from the shop so I can ride it again and feel the pleasure of all the good/working parts have to offer over any other ride. When it's been well it's really been fun. I do understand that mechanical things don't last forever. I hope to get her back today and put this last summer behind me.
Thanks for all the positive aspects I've read above about this great machine. I sometimes loose sight of them when the wallet is being drained.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 8:31 am

This is a very refreshing thread and I thank all who contributed. I've been an LT owner for a year now. Initially I was going to buy an RT but once my wife sat on the LT at the dealer the decision was made. I had concerns about the weight and size but I have to say that I really don't find it intimidating. I just have great respect for the LT and love riding it. My wife has had some health issues and hasn't been able to ride with me like we planned, but we will get back on track soon. My dream is to be able to ride through some of the western parts of the U. S. I have noticed recently that for the first time I really feel as one with my LT. She performs flawlessly and I am able to relax and let all the stress go when we ride. I'm 63 and I really appreciate all the comforts of this bike, ie heated everything, cruise, wind protection, etc. Once again, my wife steered me in the right direction with this purchase.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2007, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

I knew we were on the same page

In other words: I agree with you, and thanks for taking the time to make it public![/QUOTE]

So nice to see that we agree.

I know you're enjoying your LT as I see your map is being covered by colours.
Keep it up!
JS
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 7:53 am

I feel the same way about my LT. I'm taking it today on a business trip, about 250 mi. I've put 7,000 on since June. Its a blast. No problems. It is running better now than when I bought it. Figured out the best shock/ride setting, best speaker setting, have tire pressures up, just little stuff, but it has improved the experience.
I do check for oil leaks and play in the rear wheel, and no problems so far. (knock on wood.)
I can't think of a bike I would rather own. (I can only have one, I certainly can think of bikes I would add)
Good thread, nice to see a "positive" one.
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #15 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 9:42 am

i ride every morning before work

It's like a love affair with my LT. Can't wait to ride Roxie every morning. Some are short rides if I over sleep, some are an hour or longer. Today as I turned on to a nice road with no traffic I opened her up a bit just to hear that humm she makes at higher rpms and to feel myself pushed back against the seat rest as I easily got to 90 in third with lots of rpms left. Then I backed her down. Still worry about deer out here on the less travelled roads. But just that little exhilerating burst left me feeling so great about this bike and I cruised on in to work happy as a...biker.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #16 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 9:54 pm

I've had my 2006 LT for one year now. Best decision I could have made. This machine is truly a pleasure to drive. Drove the RT, but when my wife tested the back seat we were sold. Have taken several long weekend trips with pure enjoyment. I read some of the naysayers comments, but this has not been my experience. Good to hear others speak up. It is like many things in life...people tend to harp on the negatives but fail to take time to comment on the good.
post #17 of 17 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Couldn't agree more

[ It is like many things in life...people tend to harp on the negatives but fail to take time to comment on the good.[/QUOTE]

You know they say that a customer with a problem makes all the noise and gets all of the attention. The ones that are happy,with the product, and maybe in general, are sometimes, unfortunately content to just say nothing.

Whether the glass is half full or half empty, I still like to drink when I'm thirsty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in