Transmission Not Shifting to 3rd Gear - Up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Transmission Not Shifting to 3rd Gear - Up

When I got off work this morning, the outside temperature was about 45F. I got on my scooter, and took off. I could not change from 2nd to 3rd. I just left in 2nd for about 1 mile, then attempted to change gears and it did. This afternoon (temperature about 75F) I was returning to work, and it did the same thing it just didn't take as long before I was able to continue shifting. Any ideas from any of you guys will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 11:58 pm

I had the same problem going from 1st to 2nd when cold, turned out the transmission was a little over full. Pulled the fill plug on center stand and let all the excess drain out. No more problems.

Last edited by Morley; Oct 28th, 2007 at 2:59 am.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 1:27 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodDreamer
When I got off work this morning, the outside temperature was about 45F. I got on my scooter, and took off. I could not change from 2nd to 3rd. I just left in 2nd for about 1 mile, then attempted to change gears and it did. This afternoon (temperature about 75F) I was returning to work, and it did the same thing it just didn't take as long before I was able to continue shifting. Any ideas from any of you guys will be appreciated.
Make sure that you completely release the shift lever between up shifts. I made that mistake when I bought my first BMW...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 1:31 am

Cool Check Shifter Linkage

Check for loose or dry ball joints on the linkage for your shifter. It is an indicator when it becomes hard to shift that it is jamming up. These balls can loosen up, and when they do they can back out which will cause hard shifts before they finally just break off and leave you with a limp shifter!

Inspect, tighten if necessary, and lube.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 8:04 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Check for loose or dry ball joints on the linkage for your shifter. It is an indicator when it becomes hard to shift that it is jamming up. These balls can loosen up, and when they do they can back out which will cause hard shifts before they finally just break off and leave you with a limp shifter!

Inspect, tighten if necessary, and lube.

John
I agree with John I had the same problem with mine just before the ball broke And left me in a jam. Thankfully I was able to "ZIPTIE" the linkage back together and ride the 45 miles bach home . There is an upgrade replacement linkage availabe . If you do a search for "Philjohn" you will find it

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:26 am

When did you last change the transmission oil?

Might change it, refill with synthetic and look closely at the drain plug, see if there is any metal sticking to the magnet.

If any large metal chunks, fix it before it comes all the way apart. Synthetic oil made mine shift a lot smoother.

B D R
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 2:02 am Thread Starter

Transmission

My gosh! Just took some of the tupperware off to check the transmission. What a royal pain! I didn't think I'd ever figure out how they made that stuff stick! Anyway, I found that the transmission was more full than what the manual claims as SOC, so I let it drain out. Then I decided since I had it apart, I may as well change that fluid over to synthetic...another pain in the anus! Normal people don't keep allen wrenches that big! I do not know at this point if the shifting has improved. I will have to buy another allen wrench before I change the fluid. Why do they put a brake caliper on a cover that has to come off??? I have a hellacious learning curve to overcome!

Fred
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:07 am

Fred, make sure you check your shift linkage while you got her striped down. In January of this year I lost fifth gear. It just was not there. At the tech session the linkage got taken out and cleaned and then relubed. Good to go.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 3:50 pm

Shift Linkage Adjustment

My shift linkage broke. After we replaced in on the road it would not shift above third. Readjusted linkage and it was OK.

Tip= check all five gears before putting all the tupperware back on........
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 3:17 am Thread Starter

Transmission is now shifting!

It's working again! I changed the transmission fluid, and no go. I looked at the linkage, and got a little worried about getting it back together after tearing it apart, and opted to try cleaning in place. I opted to use something that would not attract dirt and grime...unlike lube, and settled using WD40....I know....WD40 dries out...but that's what I want at this point when it's clean. If any of you can convince me otherwise, please do so with logical reasoning. After cleaning I used my hand to go through the gears, and it worked just fine. I can see myself either changing out or cleaning again in the future. Since I had it apart, I changed the transmission fluid (a real pain), spark plugs, and FD Fluid. Tupperware back on and a short spin proved the succes of my operation. I cussed the design of these plastic parts while taking it apart, but after putting everything back, I realize it's really a better engineering fete than that of the GW. These connectors don't come apart in high winds. I will rate these parts very high..
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:07 am

It really is not that difficult once you have done it. Here is an excellent thread on the shift linkage including several with links, not the least of which is one I posted with a link to an excellent article and pictures submitted by one of our own great Guru's Mark Neblet! Everything you wanted to know about the shift linkage.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...nkage+assembly

Good Luck!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #12 of 13 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 9:06 am

Alright Freddy, way to go.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Update!

The rascal did it again! In my troubleshooting this time I was looking at more than just the linkage. I noticed that the shift lever had alot of play side-to side, and also that the shift lever was topping out on the plate when attempting to shift into 2nd through 5th gears. I also noticed that the first ball from the lever had about 1/2 shoulder to apply a 13mm wrench (btw...that's not what I would call exceptional engineering). I backed the ball out, lengthened the turnbuckle, and tightened the shift lever. NOW I THINK IT'S FIXED! I read other posts about people shearing the shift lever bolt, and I believe this happens because it becomes loose and sloppy. I believe it's something we should all check periodically as a preventive measure. I also found that it's not necessary to remove all the plastic on the left front. I removed the 3 bolts from the shifter plate, and 3 screws from the plastic, and had enought room to remove the plate. My learning curve is getting smaller, but still have room for more light. Just thought this might be of importance to others. Many thanks to you all for your shared experiences.

Fred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in