Handle Bar Replacement Question? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Question Handle Bar Replacement Question?

My handle bars on 2002 LT were bent during a collision with a SUV. The insurance company for the SUV driver has agreed that the SUV was at fault and will pay for all repairs to my LT. Dealer tells me handle bar replacement is about 4.5 labor hours. Tells me that the gas tank will need to be removed in order to replace bars. I have a couple of questions.

1. Does the tank really need to be removed?
2. Should I insist that the clutch and front brake be bleed and have new fluids?
3. Can the clutch and brake reservoirs be removed and replaced on the new handle bars with no impact to fluids?

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovero
I have a couple of questions.
Actually you have 3 questions (a pair and a half! ).

Quote:
I don't see why the tank has to be removed, unless it is required because of the throttle cables...
Quote:
2. Should I insist that the clutch and front brake be bleed and have new fluids?
With the bike on its side there is the possibility that air got into the system, especially if someone pulled either lever while righting up the bike. Test the brakes and clutch for "spongeness". If you fell that your safety is at stake then your request is reasonable
Quote:
3. Can the clutch and brake reservoirs be removed and replaced on the new handle bars with no impact to fluids?
A careful mechanic should be able to handle this...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 7:31 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I would think since it is not your dime you would go with whatever your dealer says. Hopefully you have a good one and you trust him.

If I had to break lines and I suspect they do then I would go with a full flush, new fluids. I also think I would want all lines to the bars replaced as if they are tweaked, your lines and cables could be also.

I don't see how you could re route the cables with the tank on. Also would be worried about the other end that attach, if they got pulled, stressed, bent in any way.

Don't know for sure but just looking at the FM I would want it all checked and replaced if there is even a small doubt. Also you can get upgraded lines for it at the same time and that would be nice.

Quote:
My handle bars on 2002 LT were bent during a collision with a SUV. The insurance company for the SUV driver has agreed that the SUV was at fault and will pay for all repairs to my LT. Dealer tells me handle bar replacement is about 4.5 labor hours. Tells me that the gas tank will need to be removed in order to replace bars. I have a couple of questions.

Thanks
Joe

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 9:11 am

Quote:

Thanks
Joe
Tank does not have to be removed, tank cover (stingray) does.

Sonny
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 9:22 am

While throttle cables aren't an earthshaking safety item, it can be downright unpleasant for them to break in the middle of BFE, or the exit of a corner. You crashed. In that crash there were stressors. I know when I went down, I replaced mine, then again I bent the throttle side of the handle under. To replace the throttle cables the tank comes off.

The front brake is an essential safety item. I bought a used set of handlebars with all the gear on them and the mechanic absolutely refused to use an unknown brake master cylinder for safety purposes. He did use the clutch master.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in