Update: EBC still sucks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Update: EBC still sucks

I received this e-mail from EBC today. You will notice that my original e-mail to EBC was 4 months ago. I am done trying to bring a sense of urgency to this issue, and I am done with EBC. For those who have the EBC rotor and do NOT think you have a problem I would suggest removing the wheel and checking for marks on it.

Subject: FW: Contact EBC Brakes
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:40:11 +0100
From: "Jon EBC Brakes" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: [email protected]

Just to let you know we have not overlooked you we have now found our original BMW disc and are in the process of checking all dimensions to find what we may have got wrong, as soon as I find anymore info from our machine shop I will contact you again as your in my follow e-mail folder, Thanks Jon. Thanks Jon.

Sent: 17 September 2007 12:18
To: 'dave finley'
Subject: RE: Contact EBC Brakes

Thanks for sending on these 3 links, I have forwarded them on to our production unit and we will investigate more, Thanks Jon.

Sent: 16 September 2007 00:53
To: Jon EBC Brakes

Here are just a few:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthr...highlight=rotor

Jon EBC Brakes <[email protected]> wrote:
Have looked for any info on disc problem over about 8 pages but cannot find the info you told us about please either forward the article or give us the guys name and the date it was posted, Thanks Jon.

Sent: 29 August 2007 07:50
To: 'dave finley'

O.K Noted will see what we can find out , Thanks Jon.

Sent: 27 August 2007 01:31

So what's the latest. By the way more and more guys are having issues (see bmwlt.net) with these rotors. You can do a search and one member has posted some very good pics.

Jon EBC Brakes <[email protected]> wrote:
Noted as I said we will re check all dimensions on the o/e BMW disc to ours to see whats wrong, Thanks Jon.

Sent: 14 June 2007 03:29

Jon:

I posted this on bmwlt.net site and had this response from another member:
I also have rear ebc rotor. so I removed the wheel and I also have the rub marks on the wheel spokes. but no tire rub. I removed the rotor and layed it on the wheel with the spacer like it was install on the bike.an saw that the wheel was hitting the rotor before it touched the shim (the shim was loose) so placed the oem rotor and it layed on the shim. I beleave the rotor is no machined correctly and wheel will not tighten correctly.I looks like if I put another shim (two shims) it would be ok. what do you guys think (any wheel tracking problem)

So I am not the only one.

Dave.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 11:33 pm

Dave, I know you're frustrated - but I'm not seeing any avoidance or hedging let alone evidence of a conspiracy. Yes - it's taken them awhile to respond, but they are looking and evaluating. Sounds like they're even taking a real look at it, not just a cursory glancing brush off.

Sound like it's more than BMW has done with FDs!

Special considering the numbers, I'm curious to know how many of these have been installed and then the number of folks that have had problems. Maybe time for a poll, eh? See if this is an anomaly or a production issue.

EDIT:
Did a quick search and count - nothing in depth, so take it for what it's worth. Counted 13 total installs (other than ones in the past couple weeks or so), and of those 3 said they had issues with fit. Totally not scientific - would love to have better numbers. But it's a look.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zotter; Oct 26th, 2007 at 11:55 pm.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 3:48 am

What parts are we talking about here? Something to do with the brakes?

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 6:08 am

ebc rotor replacement, for those who have done it to get rid of the "cow bell" noise, there have been some of members who have had problems with the fit of the replacement ebc md 615 rotor. Some members had no problem at all replacing, while some continue to have issues with the fit, it has been the consensus to use 2 spacers on the back wheel instead of just one, and that has useally helped some.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 10:27 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Just got done

putting on the rotor and pads.

After doing the job I am confused what can be hitting or whatever

Can someone splain to me?

From my perspective this becomes one with your wheel.

All bolts wire brushed, brake kleen, Red on ABS ring screws, Blue on the rotor to FD, nothing but dry clean lug bolts, 37 ft lbs center/outer lug nuts, 77 ft lbs center/outer lug nuts, this becomes a "solid" piece.

I used some anti-seiz on my brake pad pins, a lite coat on the back of the pads in the contact area of the pucks, a lite coat on the back of the spacer to hold it on, and a light coat on the wheel hub that fits into the rotor (not sure that coat was necessary as I am not sure it is a contact point) everything clean and shiny.

Pads and rotor got a final controlled spray with clean rag to clean pads and rotor of any contaminates.

On center stand, at high idle (cold), spinning wheel with just high idle all looks well, couple pulls on the clutch, rear brake to stop the wheel to make sure pads actuate.

So what do I look for when the Monsoon clears this afternoon and I can ride it again after 5 days of rain?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 7:23 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well I went about 60 or so miles and all seems well. I was pretty gentle on them and only used them a little hard when I could run to cool them off.

First off no squeal. Also no noise from back there at all, rattle not there.

Only thing I noticed was like a swoosh noise when I am applying them. I also noticed some clumps of dust, verses the normal dusting,

Seems like I gained some pedal travel and not sure why it seems and feels that way. Rear fluid is about 1/3 between min and max and has not moved from when I checked it last.

I stopped after 30 or so and both sides of the rotor were pretty black. Looking at them after the next 30 the rotor is pretty clean, and the wheel has the noted dust spots.

Will get another 100 or so tomorrow so might be able to get on them a bit after that.

Still wondering how I gained pedal travel or so it seems, maybe after properly bedded it will become a little more sticky?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 11:36 pm

Lee, it's possible you may have introduced a touch of air when you pushed the caliper pistons back during the pad change. I've seen it happen on occasion on other disc systems. Never seen it on an LT - but hey, I've not yet had hands on all that many LTs <g>..

Try a wheel circuit bleed - no need to flush. Just get out whatever air may be in there.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 11:57 pm

I just changed my cow bell for ebs too. No noise or rattle back there. Used only the one spacer that was on the wheel already. Only minor problem I've noticed is slight pulsing when applying brakes gently, which seems to lessen the more I ride. Have about 300 miles on the bike since the change. Where am I supposed to see the rubbing?? Pix would help.

Tommy

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 7:36 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Lee, it's possible you may have introduced a touch of air when you pushed the caliper pistons back during the pad change. I've seen it happen on occasion on other disc systems. Never seen it on an LT - but hey, I've not yet had hands on all that many LTs <g>..

Try a wheel circuit bleed - no need to flush. Just get out whatever air may be in there.
Thank you for the reply as always. I will go out in a bit and see if I can nurse some air out of them.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 7:38 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertz
I just changed my cow bell for ebs too. No noise or rattle back there. Used only the one spacer that was on the wheel already. Only minor problem I've noticed is slight pulsing when applying brakes gently, which seems to lessen the more I ride. Have about 300 miles on the bike since the change. Where am I supposed to see the rubbing?? Pix would help.

Tommy
I am with you a pic would be great or a link if they exist already.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 28th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Just finished the EBC rear rotor installation this AM. Took it out for a ride to seat in the new pads, everything is fine here. No rattles, no interference, good braking. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in