EBC Rotor part number - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 9:48 am Thread Starter

EBC Rotor part number

Need to replace the clanging cowbell with an EBC rotor. The mechanic at the shop said that the EBC was a non floating rotor. Is that correct? what is the part number? I have not read any problems from the EBC and it sure is less expensive.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Thumbs down Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
Need to replace the clanging cowbell with an EBC rotor. The mechanic at the shop said that the EBC was a non floating rotor. Is that correct? what is the part number? I have not read any problems from the EBC and it sure is less expensive.
Two things: "The mechanic" doesn't know what he's talking about and do a search.
Many of us here have had fitment issues with the EBC. I contacted EBC about the issues we are having and so far (3+ months) no response. I will never do business with EBC ever again.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 1:35 pm

EBC's web site has a PDF file of their application catalog

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/2007usamc.pdf

See page 31, near the bottom - it shows:
Code:
                                                            FRONT                     |        REAR
                                                     pads  HH-pads  L rotor  R rotor  | pads  HH-pads rotor
K 1200 LT (Integral ABS & STD ABS Models) 97-10/00  FA246* FA246HH* MD652LS  MD652RS  | FA304 FA304HH MD615
K 1200 LT (Evo-Integral ABS) 11/00-07                      FA294HH* MD616LS  MD616RS  | FA304 FA304HH MD615

* symbol after part# = 2 pieces reqd.
And your mechanic is obviously 'not yet informed' on this rotor. It most certainly is a floating design.

FWIW - the words on fitment issues started showing up good bit after I installed mine. I've no issues. Maybe they changed it since I got mine?

EZ, I assume you tried talking to EBC after you worked with the outfit that sold you your rotor (retailer) was unable to get things right, eh?

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 2:21 pm

Thumbs down EBC no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
EBC's web site has a PDF file of their application catalog

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/2007usamc.pdf

See page 31, near the bottom - it shows:
Code:
                                                            FRONT                     |        REAR
                                                     pads  HH-pads  L rotor  R rotor  | pads  HH-pads rotor
K 1200 LT (Integral ABS & STD ABS Models) 97-10/00  FA246* FA246HH* MD652LS  MD652RS  | FA304 FA304HH MD615
K 1200 LT (Evo-Integral ABS) 11/00-07                      FA294HH* MD616LS  MD616RS  | FA304 FA304HH MD615

* symbol after part# = 2 pieces reqd.
And your mechanic is obviously 'not yet informed' on this rotor. It most certainly is a floating design.

FWIW - the words on fitment issues started showing up good bit after I installed mine. I've no issues. Maybe they changed it since I got mine?

EZ, I assume you tried talking to EBC after you worked with the outfit that sold you your rotor (retailer) was unable to get things right, eh?
Retailer referred me to EBC. "Worked with" - I did all the leg work for them and still no response. Have you removed and checked your wheel?

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_rdr55
Two things: "The mechanic" doesn't know what he's talking about and do a search.
Many of us here have had fitment issues with the EBC. I contacted EBC about the issues we are having and so far (3+ months) no response. I will never do business with EBC ever again.
I am also having issues with the rotor I purchased. Having to use two spacers just to get the wheel to turn properly is not what should be happening.

I have considered trying to go back and see if I can do something with the OEM rotor so see if I can stop the clang - like taking it to a welding shop and see if it can be tacked in some way to keep it quiet. I do not like the idea of using silicone. Anyone tried fixing the OEM rotor?

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 6:01 pm

I have approx. 15k no clanking or squeaking miles on my EBC rotor and pads. Installed both with no fitment problems. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 6:28 pm

md 615 is the rotor I used on the rear, no problems at all, lucky I guess. I even got another spacer just in case I would need it but everything fit perfectly.
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 7:04 pm

EBC rotor

Installed #MD615 rotor and FA304HH pads on the rear of my 03 aprox 10,000 miles ago. Had no fitment problems at all. the whole project took aprox 1 HR. rear brakes are quite. i ordered them from www.cyclebrakes.com total price with shipping $176.10.
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 2:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
I have one that they sent me after I warrantied the first too for improper milling on the rotor itself. The one I have currently has issues with the hub hitting the rim. I do not have the extra spacer to test if the rotor will work correctly. If you want to consider buying mine which has issues, send me a PM. I won't hold my breath though. Down with EBC

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in