Recommendations wanted for Cee Bailey windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Recommendations wanted for Cee Bailey windshield

I have a 2005 with the tall OEM screen. The Beemer screen tends to fog up and I'm tired of messing with waxes, alcohol, etc. to eliminate it so I'm looking into maybe putting a Cee Bailey windshield on my holiday wishlist.

I like the OEM screen as far as being able to feel some air (at the lowest setting) 'cause it's hot here in Dallas in the summer and in the top position it cuts out considerable air for winter riding but I don't like the lack of clarity seeing through it. What can some of you Cee Bailey customers recommend as far as the type of screen and size? I am 6'4" tall.

Thanks!

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:13 pm

I'm 6'3" and own the CB #2 - 2. That's a version 2 that's lowered 2 off CB's standard #2 shield. I love the shield, as it does everything I want it to. Gives me plenty of air all the way down, maximum protection all the way up, and really takes away the buffeting in almost any position. The only thing you may want to consider is having even more airflow than I have all the way down...since you live in Dallas, and I in Cleveland, Ohio. You might want to go with a -3 or -4 even. I wouldn't recommend the wings for you.

HTH
post #3 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
... I wouldn't recommend the wings for you.
Hi Joe,

Windshield replacement is an important topic for me, too.
I have the BMW tall windshield, also.

My goal is to get more wind off my passenger (and eventually me, when it gets colder this winter). I'm 6' 1", live in central Ohio.

Can I ask why you don't recommend the Cee Bailey with wings?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:47 pm

I didn't recommend the wings to Jacques, as he lives in Dallas. When it comes time to replace my shield, I would order the exact one again. For me, the wings would probably be a little over-kill. I'd be afraid that on those 85 to 95 degree days (and up), the wings would just provide too much wind protection. I do realize there comes a point when you want more air protection as the temps soar into the 100s. That may be a consideration for Jacques, as well.

It's a tough call to make, we are all so different. You may want more protection than I do. Heck, I don't even put on my heated gear until it gets well below 45 . . . . sometimes below 40. Depends how long the trek is.

Confused yet?
post #5 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 1:04 pm

I think the #2 - 2 like Joe has would probably work good for you
as well. I'm 5'10" and have the #2 -4 with wings. It was unusually hot
here in northern Ohio this summer and I got plenty of air when I wanted it.
When it's up for protection you forget it's there in a short while. Very
good clarity.

As far as the wings go, They pretty much mirror the fixed wings on
the LT. So your pretty much like OEM when the shield is down, and gain
the benefit as you raise the shield.

Larry Rusnak
Wadsworth, Ohio
2002 K1200LTC Pacific Blue
post #6 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 1:10 pm

I'm 6'2 and have a 32 inseam. I use the 2-2 and it works great for me. Most of my long trips involve crossing the desert, upwards of 125 at times and the sheild works very well. Excellent clarity, materials and customer service.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #7 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 1:27 pm

I have a CeeBailey that was given to me as gift and was not in package. I was told it is a standard...it is the same size and shape as the BMW tall shield. Mine has a very slight tint to it. Looking thru the w/s there is very little distortion...less than the original stock. I like the size as I'm 6'4".

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #8 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 1:37 pm

I'm 6' 2", I have the seat in the top position, and I have the #2 standard.

I still get wind in the face at the lowest position, I raise it about 1/3 the way for normal riding, and all the way up to make it comfortable for my wife which keeps the edge quite a bit above my eyeline which is nice.

I initially went standard because I knew it would be easy to cut it down if needed; but I like it this way after all.
post #9 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:43 pm

I have a CB 2-3 with wings and the wings keep the turbulence off of the shoulders. In really hot weather it keeps the heat off of you as well. I know some on the board have said the wings might make it too hot, but I found that by keeping the heat off I feel better. I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam and ride with the seat in the upper position. I wish I purchased a CB 2-2 with wings as I never have the -3 in a fully lowered position.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #10 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:00 pm

Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I didn't recommend the wings to Jacques, as he lives in Dallas. When it comes time to replace my shield, I would order the exact one again. For me, the wings would probably be a little over-kill. I'd be afraid that on those 85 to 95 degree days (and up), the wings would just provide too much wind protection. I do realize there comes a point when you want more air protection as the temps soar into the 100s. That may be a consideration for Jacques, as well.

It's a tough call to make, we are all so different. You may want more protection than I do. Heck, I don't even put on my heated gear until it gets well below 45 . . . . sometimes below 40. Depends how long the trek is.

Confused yet?
All makes sense -- thanks.

I'm looking for tons more protection than my tall BMW windshield offers, and I've been looking at the Cee Bailey w/wings; wish there was someplace to see one of these things (dealer, fellow LT owner nearby, MC show... anything). I'll work with their web site to figure out what works best for me. The calculations seem a little complicated; probably make more sense once I get into it.

My take is: one windshield for summer (stock or tall BMW) and one with more protectionfor winter.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 32 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:54 pm

Even though Joe is " an unknown quantity" , I too have a #2 -2 and think it's just right at 6' 1...without the wings.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #12 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 1:49 am

I have the #2-1, and it seems to "fill the bill". I can see over the windshield in the full down position, if the rear shock is set midway (solo) or max (with passenger). I'm 6'3" with a 33" inseam and weigh 260#, and my wife is 5'10". In the full up position, she doesn't get blown off the seat.

I hope that helps!

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #13 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 8:20 am

Here's my recommendation:
Cee Bailey #2, with Wings, -4. At your height you will be able to see over the top in LOW position with NO wind to your face. In HIGH position you will have some windshield between you and your face. I DON'T RIDE TWO UP SO CAN'T COMMENT ON EFFECT ON PASSENGER.

BTW, the -4 is supposed to be same height as the stock '05 low/Eurocut.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #14 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 8:38 am

Anybody out there with a CB who is 5'7" and rides with a 5'4" passenger, and if so, which one do they have ?.
post #15 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:00 am Thread Starter

A tad confused

Thanks all for your input however I'm a little confused on the -2, -1, -4 thing. It's my understanding that the -# is the number of inches that is cut OFF of the stock size but some of you say that I would be better of with more cut off (ex: -4) than less. My logic says that since I'm tall there would be less reduction of size to the sheild. What am I not understanding here?

Keep in mind that I'm in Dallas (hot in summer) and I have the tall OEM shield currently.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
post #16 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:11 am

Thumbs up

The "-" is supposedly the inches less then a stock BMW windscreen; however in reality, the #2-2" is equal to a stock windscreen and the -4" is equal to the stock "Eurocut" BMW windscreen.

In my case, a #2 -2" would have been perfect for me riding solo; however with my wife being a regular passenger on my bike and her being 5'10" tall, the -1" or CeeBailey stock height was the best choice. As I mentioned before, I opted for the -1", and she's quite happy with that selection.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #17 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:22 am

Here is my take on it. I was somewhat confused myself going through
this process.

The #2 windshield has a little curvature at the top that pushes the
airflow up more than the standard w/sheild.. So this is where you have
to be careful. So a #2 -2 seems to act "effectively" the same as a
stock 24" windshield.

I'm 5'10' 32 inseam. I could see over the top of a stock windshield,
but 200 feet out. I didn't like to have to look through the windshield to
see an object 50 feet in front of me. Plus my 02 shield had the distortion and fogging problems as well.

So for me the -4 (20")works well, I can see over the top, and when I need it
there's plenty of protection when up. I looked at a Euro takeoff and it was too
short for my likeing 17"

NOTE - The more you take off, you lose some of the flip.

I ride mostly solo, so advice from 2 up riders should also be considered

My .02 worth

Larry Rusnak
Wadsworth, Ohio
2002 K1200LTC Pacific Blue
post #18 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:46 am

Windshield

I have just bought the Cee-Bailey +2 Touring. I am 6' 4". Most of the people seem to buy shorter windshields from Cee-Bailey, but I like the option to raise it up enough so that in the high position I can see the road about 100 feet ahead by looking over the top. With the shorter heights I can't do that. I bought the touring model, because it gives more protection for my SO when we ride two up. I found the service and product top notch. Ron
post #19 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Cb - 2

I am running a CB -2 with wings on a 2005. I am 6' on the nose with a 34" inseam. I run a corbin seat (which tends to be at least as tall in as the high position on a stock seat). I find I could have used a -3. In the fully down position I am looking right at the edge unless I sit really straight upright. The CB is a great windsheild. it will make you want to give the stock one the old heave ho! I might have a -2 for sale.
post #20 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 9:59 pm

I am also 6'4", but only 30" inseam.

I tried the #2 that many people like. I didn't.

I now have the #1 with wings and it's 1.5" taller than stock. It works really well. The wings make a huge difference in wind noise. I don't have to raise the screen much to get effective results. It's low enough in the down position to work mountain roads just fine- way below line of sight. I can raise it high in rain storms, but daily riding is up about 10-15% max.

I took the stock screen and put cardboard on the top with tape- about 6" higher than stock. I then started cutting this down till I had it where I wanted it, and had CB make that height. Works very well.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #21 of 32 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:14 pm

I was very skeptical of the #2 -2 version, so I ordered the #2, -1. Although it works fine for me, I would get the -2 or even -3 if I had the chance to do it over. I'm 6'2 and with the -2 in the down position, I'm still looking over the top of the shield a little more than I'd like. Full up...is way up!

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #22 of 32 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 1:15 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Anybody out there with a CB who is 5'7" and rides with a 5'4" passenger, and if so, which one do they have ?.
I'd say go with the #2 -4.
I am 5'11" and installed a lowered seat. My passenger is 5'9". I bought the #2 -2 before installing the low seat and it was just about OK, although i could have used a #2 -3. With the low seat a #2 -4 would be perfect. I like to see over the shield until I get to high speeds where I bring the shield up a little. Actually I need to bring the shield up before reaching 75-80 MPH (uncorrected speedo); past that speed the wind resistance is too great for the windshield motor. I guess it is a proof of better protection...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #23 of 32 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor
I tried the #2 that many people like. I didn't.
Why didn't you like it?

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
post #24 of 32 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 11:20 am

Jacques,

Is that you from the snowy "Edelweiss High Alpine Adventure" in early October? Denise and I were on one of the RTs.

I replaced the stock standard height screen on my 01 with the CBaileys of the same physical height dimesion. I'd have to check the website to remember if it is the std or the -2 version. In any case, for me at 6'0" I'm pleased with the reduction in helmet noise on the Schuberth but disappointed with the lack of airflow with the screen all the way down. Now, regardless of speed, temperature or other conditions I ride with the CBaileys all the way down. No windnoise but no airflow and no ability to get your head in the airstream to clear rain from your faceshield.. Get one at least 2" shorter than you are now riding.

See ya in Georgia!

Stan Moore
post #25 of 32 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Jacques,

Is that you from the snowy "Edelweiss High Alpine Adventure" in early October? Denise and I were on one of the RTs.
Hi Stan,

Yup, it's me! How are you and Denise doing?

Santa brought me an early Christmas present - a Cee Bailey #2 -2" for my trip to Big Bend next Monday! I've installed it but haven't taken it out yet. I'm keeping the stock BMW tall shield in the event that the CB screen doesn't provide enough air flow for the hot Texas summers.

Have a very Merry Christmas and I'll see you guys in GA for CCR.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
post #26 of 32 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 5:57 pm

Larry is right. The wings will make no difference in hot or cold weather when you have the windshield down for more air. They come at an almost even height with the factory side wings. Where they do make a difference is when you have a passenger and you raise the windshield. My wife tells me that the windshield (CB#2 -3 w/wings) is perfect when all the way up. No wind at all beating her helmet around.

So, I would reccomend the #2 with wings a -2 or-3 will work fine.

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #27 of 32 Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 6:01 pm

I am 5'8 and the wife is 5'4. I have the CB #2 -3 with wings..... perfect.

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #28 of 32 Old May 4th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Question Re: Recommendations wanted for Cee Bailey windshield

I am 5'10". not that short of an inseam, but I still can't see over my windshield if I had too. I bought an cee baily #2 -4. with the seat in the lowest position, shield all the way down, still nothing. I like the lower seat position for comfort. I am thinking of replacing(for summer only) my -4, with an sport sheild by CB. Then swap out when the leaves fall, back to the ol barn door.
Does anybody have one of these sport shields, have been wondering how they are. Does CB custom cut their shields for you?
post #29 of 32 Old Jul 1st, 2008, 7:33 pm

Re: Recommendations wanted for Cee Bailey windshield

After lots of reading through all the post on windshields I decided on the a Cee Bailey #2 -4, euro, with wings. I'm 5' 10" with 30" inseam. I like to look over the windshield. The windshield height is perfect; the wind just goes over my head with the windshield all the way down. I still need to try high speed to see if the motor can overcome the wind strain and still need to ride two up.

Full Arc
post #30 of 32 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:59 pm

Smile Re: Recommendations wanted for Cee Bailey windshield

BJwe43, I am 5'10" and I bought a CB #1 Light Gray Euro Cut -2in. and I'm able to see nicely over the top. With the shield all the way down I can feel the wind through my top helmet vent and bugs just hit the top of my helmet just above the shield. I can raise the window a bit to stop any bug residue but all the way down is great when the insect population permits.

'05K1200LT Ocean Blue
post #31 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:52 am

Re: Gotcha

I have the CB -2 on my LT w/o wings and like it. Your welcome to take it for a spin to see if you like it. I can take the cold but the heat kills me. I imagine you would melt in the summer with the wings. The nice thing with the CB is that when you raise the screen you do get a good dose of air from the sides. With a mesh jacket on its welcome relief.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #32 of 32 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Re: Recommendations wanted for Cee Bailey windshield

I am 5'9" tall and I just mounted my Cee Bailey #2, -4 with wings today. A short 10 mile ride, and I like it infinitely better than the stock windshield that came on my 09 LT. I can see over the top of the shield better in the full down position, and when I turn a corner, I no longer get that dangerous distortion I was getting with the stock shield.

I think I will keep it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in