Anybody have a failed FD to give away ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Anybody have a failed FD to give away ?

Serious. I'd like to have an older style and a newer style. I want to try a few R&D ideas.
Maybe an aux oil cooler with a monitored fluid level. Plus I'd like to shop them around to a few of my space program buddies for ideas to bullet proof them. ( they are engineers, and LOVE to scrutinize, AND design).

If BMW wont do it, I figure I can at least give it the old college try !

One of the great things about living on the Space Coast of Florida is that I'm virtually surrounded by rocket scientists...quite a few of them ride, but very few do their own services ( that's where I come in)...LOL.

I can help with shipping, no need to pay for a unit to go away once it has caused so much agony.

Any Ideas would mucho be appreciated.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:53 pm

Fine idea if you have some ball bearing, buddy engineers in the space program. Just get a replacement 19 ball bearing for $150. Show them the thin sheet metal retainer, and they will suggest a bronze machined retainer with a more positive rivet scheme, that will cost you a few bucks more, that will last much longer. David S. did not get a chance to install the one he procured a few years back.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
Serious. I'd like to have an older style and a newer style. I want to try a few R&D ideas.
Maybe an aux oil cooler with a monitored fluid level. Plus I'd like to shop them around to a few of my space program buddies for ideas to bullet proof them. ( they are engineers, and LOVE to scrutinize, AND design).

One of the great things about living on the Space Coast of Florida is that I'm virtually surrounded by rocket scientists...quite a few of them ride, but very few do their own services ( that's where I come in)...LOL.

I can help with shipping, no need to pay for a unit to go away once it has caused so much agony.

I just sent a PM to someone I know with a failed FD and I included a link to this thread. Maybe some good can come of this.

Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 6:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

What do you need from the FD?

Quote:

Let me know what parts you're looking for. I'll be replacing the entire FD. I saw it in pieces yesterday and will try to recover what you want this afternoon.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 8:37 am

Wink

Quote:

You can have the stock plastic QDs from my 05 that I proactively replaced with brass units. They are not broken or defective in any way, so I don't know if this will help you.
Just let me know!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks on the QD offer, but I think the issue with them has been solved.

Any parts scavenged from the final drive, especially the failed parts would be helpful. The housing with failed bearing etc is what I'll be looking for.

A good friend who is working on the Constellation project mentioned that if it is a bearing failure without fluid loss, that there would be torsional and side loading issues, coupled with lube related failures due to heat. He states that the easiest way to detect an oncoming failure would be a temperature monitor on the final drive itself. He suggests more lubricant capacity, and possibly a cooler if the temps stay on the high side of the normal operating parameters. He also wants to look at the bearings, and do some metalurgy tests ( on his own time, of course ). Mentiong something about the bearing races themselves are steel, and the seating surfaces of said races are aluminum, the could be a conflict in heat expansion/contraction...

Might take some time, but I'm getting into this.

Thanks folks.....

2000 K1200LT
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Thanks on the QD offer, but I think the issue with them has been solved.

Any parts scavenged from the final drive, especially the failed parts would be helpful. The housing with failed bearing etc is what I'll be looking for.

A good friend who is working on the Constellation project mentioned that if it is a bearing failure without fluid loss, that there would be torsional and side loading issues, coupled with lube related failures due to heat. He states that the easiest way to detect an oncoming failure would be a temperature monitor on the final drive itself. He suggests more lubricant capacity, and possibly a cooler if the temps stay on the high side of the normal operating parameters. He also wants to look at the bearings, and do some metalurgy tests ( on his own time, of course ). Mentiong something about the bearing races themselves are steel, and the seating surfaces of said races are aluminum, the could be a conflict in heat expansion/contraction...

Might take some time, but I'm getting into this.

Thanks folks.....
Already been done by David Shealey (an Engineer) a loonnnnnng time ago. Had them inspected by an independent lab/Engineer as well. I doubt if you would find anything new but hey, go fot it!

The best "splantion" so far is that it may have to do with poor assembly.

My first FD went 104K without even a whimper and was still going strong when I sold it. (2001 model which supposedly have a high rate of failures.) Currently at 36K with my second '01 and holding my breath.

But, for only $750.00 for a new OEM replacement that bolts right in with a 2 year warranty its not a big deal to me if it goes.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 2:28 pm

"But, for only $750.00 for a new OEM replacement that bolts right in with a 2 year warranty its not a big deal to me if it goes."

Just for my information, where does one find a complete OEM replacement with a two year warranty for $750.00?

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 4:36 pm

Have you tried any dealers?
I'm sure they have a few.

Hello 07 R1200S
Bye2006 LT
1982 R65
Buy More Warranty!
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by info
Have you tried any dealers?
I'm sure they have a few.
The only Dealer close to me that I will go to is in Daytona, and it's over an hour to get there. By the time I get there on a Saturday, they are closed. ( I work Saturdays also). The next choice would be Orlando, but the only thing that gets me to travel there is the airport, that city is a total MESS when it comes to traffic.

2000 K1200LT
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
"But, for only $750.00 for a new OEM replacement that bolts right in with a 2 year warranty its not a big deal to me if it goes."

Just for my information, where does one find a complete OEM replacement with a two year warranty for $750.00?
Chicago BMW sells parts at 20% off list, and the BMW warranty on all parts is 2 years.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Chicago BMW sells parts at 20% off list, and the BMW warranty on all parts is 2 years.

Chicago BMW part number 33112333164 $796.80 + shipping + Core + Core Shipping. I am guessing the in- hand cost to be close to $950.00. Does this sound about right?

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in