Clutch shot - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Clutch shot

2005 LT with about 30K miles. Just go the word that the clutch is completely worn down. No slave cylnder leak nor any other leak. A lot of my riding is 2 up fully loaded. But I do like to ride it alone also and when I do I ride it like a sport bike. people are surprised how I can throw the beast around. I am wondering which wore my clutch out. On the twistis I like 2nd gear and use engine braking alot. Could that wear a clutch out. I have been riding most of my life and never wore a clutch out before. I do not think I slipt the cluch except some on takeoff. Looks like I need clutch plate pressure plate, flywheel??( would that nee to be replaced) . have not gotten complete estimate but looking around $1700. Crap!
Also found oil on the top of the engine, thinks it is from a breather tube??

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 7:04 pm

Question

That doesn't sound right. In the SOCAL twisties I too run a lot in 2nd gear, sometimes in first gear in hairpins. That will not take a clutch out. These puppies will last a lot more than 30 miles on the LT unless you ride very poorly constantly slipping the clutch.
I wonder is there was something that kept your clutch slipping. I remember my dad telling me stories of riders burning a clutch way too fast because the bikes were fitted with soft hand warmers that would sometimes get caught and not allow the clutch lever to fully go back to its resting position.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 7:04 pm

I am not a pro by any means but if you are engine braking with a fully engaged clutch there is no possible way to wear it out that way. Hi RPM take offs on the other hand will chew threw a clutch like there is no tomorow. Not that I have ever had experience with that . Since this bike has a dry clutch it doesn't hold up as well to Higher RPM take offs , than what wet clutches can handle. Good luck in your repair.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 7:15 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I am very sorry to hear of your bad luck.

1700.00 is a very bitter pill to swallow. I could not, and would have to turn the wrenches myself. This is another one of those moments when I say WTF have I done buying this expensive and very intoxicating machine.

While I have been on it for only a few months, I do ride it, and it seems to enjoy being ridden.

I don't engine brake a lot, but do use it in certain situations I am a firm believer in the brakes, and use the front with great joy, and sometimes surprising stopping power and yea I use the rears too. Pads sound real cheap compared to a clutch

Take off, well seems to be another one of the LT's endearing traits and it continuer's to boggle my mind, sometimes I can at times take off like nothing, and others I seem to be slipping the clutch, but can not find what I or the bike is doing different between the good, bad, and ugly take offs

Now is a good time for EVERYONE to start bragging about their clutch life

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 9:54 pm

Take Offs

When the engine is cool, it seems to take off OK, considering the low torque on the bottom end. It gets worse when the engine is hot. It just has nothing on the bottom.....................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:28 pm
cws

Garage
clutch gone

Wore mine out at 26,300km back in March. No oil leaks. Thankfully my dealer did it under warranty, and drilled the weep hole for me at the same time. Mainly 1-up riding, occassional 2-up trips. A lot of commuting to/from work in traffic. I did give it a hammering on a ride/track day, which probably didn't help.
As a result I've stopped using 5th gear except on freeways etc above 80kph. And I make sure its fully engaged in 1st before opening the throttle nowadays. Hoping this one lasts a lot longer.
Try hassling your dealer with the "no way should it wear out this soon" guilt trip.... you just never know?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 14 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:56 pm

Just had my second clutch job at 35,500 miles. First replaced at 33,000 due to seal leak. 2,000 later it started to slip a little. They found no leaks & no wear, no reason for it to slip. Replaced the clutch assembly again.
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 11:34 am

I too wore out my clutch. I have a 2004 LT and had 15000 miles on it at the time. No amount of complaining would get BMW to help with the cost of repair. I paid about $1350 to get the clutch replaced. They said it was my riding style that burned it up, but no one actually told me what I was doing wrong. Some related threads have referred to the dry clutch being easier to wear out than the wet clutches on all the other bikes I have owned.
I know many of you have millions of miles on your LT and no problems, but occasionally a clutch goes while the bike is under warranty and the owner has to pay because it is a "riding style" wear issue.
I only ride one up. I have tried to change the way I take off from a stop, and don't engine brake in the twisties any more. If they offer any advice on how to change your style, let us know. Good luck.

Steve
2004 LT
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 1:07 am

Mine was replaced due to leaking seal, had no visible wear. I don't use high revs to take off, I engine brake all the time, & I never use the clutch to shift up.
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Huh

You never use the clutch to shift up. Why not? What is the reasoning behind this?

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
2005 LT with about 30K miles. Just go the word that the clutch is completely worn down. No slave cylnder leak nor any other leak. A lot of my riding is 2 up fully loaded. But I do like to ride it alone also and when I do I ride it like a sport bike. people are surprised how I can throw the beast around. I am wondering which wore my clutch out. On the twistis I like 2nd gear and use engine braking alot. Could that wear a clutch out. I have been riding most of my life and never wore a clutch out before. I do not think I slipt the cluch except some on takeoff. Looks like I need clutch plate pressure plate, flywheel??( would that nee to be replaced) . have not gotten complete estimate but looking around $1700. Crap!
Also found oil on the top of the engine, thinks it is from a breather tube??
How did you "get the word" that it's simply worn down? Do they have the bike apart already? I would want to see the "worn" clutch - and also inspect the inside of the intermediate housing & seal areas. Normally, the inside of the housing should be dry & dusty - if it's dry & squeaky clean, they've done some additional "cleaning" for "free" that should be explained.

The breather hose is prone to embrittlement and subsequent leaking. Once you've got the frame raised to pull the clutch off, it takes maybe ten minutes to replace the breather hose assembly (you need 4 new hose clamps where it connects to the throttle bodies - they're non-reusable and most commonly-available screw-type hose clamps are too big here). You can do it with the frame lowered also, as long as you've got the tank/air box/injector rail/throttle cage removed.

Do you trust the dealer? Can you part with $1700? If so, this will also be a good time to have him replace a bunch of fairly cheap parts - seals, rusty hardware, etc. If you're like me & LAF, it's time to break out your own wrenches and tackle this job. It's time consuming (a couple full weekends, not including waiting for parts on order) and very involved, but not difficult at all (aside from the need for a couple specialty tools).

Good luck to ya.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Bike apart

They have the bike apart and I went to see it. The owner is a friend. The clutch was shot and the pressure plate was grooved. The clutch was not down to the rivets so not sure how it was grooved. The housing was FULL of dry clutch dust.

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
You never use the clutch to shift up. Why not? What is the reasoning behind this?
No official reason, it's easy, works good, & smooth.
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:37 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
No official reason, it's easy, works good, & smooth.
...and it has been done for decades by a lot of beemer riders among others. My dad explained that technique to me when I was a teen just learning to ride.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in