Should I be worried? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Question Should I be worried?

Greetings All,

Tonight, while cleaning the rear wheel of my LT, I noticed a build up of oil/road grime around the FD drain plug. I do not rawhide my LT, but I do ride the Seirra Nevada whenever I get the chance. No visible oil on the wheel or rim. The slightest film around the fill plug. No oil of any kind on the tire. I gripped the rear tire at 12:00 & 6:00 and checked for play, but did not feel any. Tried the same at 9:00 and 3:00 an got the slightest bit of movement. No abnormal indications yesterday on a two-up ride through King's Canyon. I cleaned everything up REALLY well and will keep an eye on this area. Anything else I should be checking? Thanks.

p.s. I've got a little over 14k on the clock and all maintenance, including a 12K service, was done by my dealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

A little seepage around the drain and fill is normal. The crush washers don't always get a perfect seal, especially if they have been re-used.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:07 pm

Drain and refill if worried.
See what it looks like.

Hello 07 R1200S
Bye2006 LT
1982 R65
Buy More Warranty!

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks All,

Kind of what I figured. Not REAL worried, but thought I should consult the oracle of all LT Knowledge for peace of mind. I'll just keep an eye on it for now. Cheers!

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #5 of 6 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:37 pm

Sound normal. Most of the drive shaft bikes I have rode will do that.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #6 of 6 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 3:34 pm

Check the level of the gear oil by removing the fill plug and checking to make sure that fluid is at the base of the threads.

The crush washer is designed to hold the fluid in. The threads of the drain plug are aluminum and hence rather soft. If they have been tighted way beyond what they should be, it could crush the washer beyond its capacity to hold the fluid and potentially damage the threads on the FD for the drain plug.

If a dealer has done all the service, they should have replaced the crush washer when the fluid was changed. If not, that is not following standard BMW maintenance procedure. My first inclination would be to check with the dealer to see if there is a record of whether the crush washer was replaced or reused.

If you replace the crush washer and refill the FD oil, it may resolve the weeping. If so, you are home free. If not, the responsibility should be on the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in