LT vs SUV Accident. Damage Guess who??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Wink LT vs SUV Accident. Damage Guess who???

Out for a ride today and was thinking, ridden 60K and no accidents. Going about speed limit of 45mph and see SUV parked on right side of road (gutter) about 500 feet ahead. As I approach out comes the SUV starting to make a u-turn right in front of me. Grabbed full brake front and rear and swerved right trying to avoid contact. Well the brakes worked great but not enough distance to stop before making contact with the SUV right rear just before the bumper. Bike goes down on right side and comes to a quick stop. I got right up off of the road, since that is where I ended up after the crash. Had full gear on and only injury was a sore right thumb. LT mirror popped off and some damage to tip over wing cover, and side case chrome. Also moto light broke off. A couple of guys stopped and help me pick the bike up and roll it off the road. Exchanged insurance info with Gal driving the SUV. SUV had good size dent where the LT tire made contact. Wasn't sure about drive ability after crash so went for a quick ride. Bike was stable but handle bars tweaked to the right. Not sure if handle bars bent or just went out of adjustment. Can handle bars be adjusted left or right or just up and down? Will take the bike to BMW dealer for complete evaluation to be sure front end has no damage and to inspect the tip over wing to make sure no frame damage. All in all LT handled crash and its rider very well. Going over the entire accident in my head and thought the only way it could have been avoided is to have done a panic stop when I saw the parked SUV. Of course if it was indeed parked with no driver then the panic stop would have been for nothing, and if every time I saw a parked car and panic stopped well you can guess the rest.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 9:05 pm

Really glad you're ok. SUVs can do some damage DAMHIK. My recommendation is to get the bike to your dealer to have it thoroughly checked out - striking with the front wheel could have seriously bent something, not just cocked the bars.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 9:49 pm

Don't forget to have the front rim looked at too. These things are the softest rims I have seen. they can bend very easily and ever so slightly that it looks fine until you get a little closer. Oh and glad your ok.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:05 pm

Having been there and done that, and some close friends in the same boat past six months, I am relieved to hear that you are doing well and no major injuries. That is the most important part. If you don't believe me, ask those closest to you.

As for the bike, it sounds like she did a good job of protecting you, now it's your turn to make sure she's ok. Take her to a qualified dealer and let them give her a thorough exam.

Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:17 pm

Thank goodness you're OK. Ditto on what everyone else said.

My question: Did she say anything when she got out? "I didn't see you?""I'm sorry.""Don't worry, I'll take care of it?"

Any LE people respond?

Just curious. A friend took someone's door off when she opened it in traffic. She appologized profusely and said not to worry, she'd take care of it.

Next day she got a lawyer and tried to make it out his fault!

Take precautions.

Good luck.

mike
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:22 pm

Let me Guess

The gal driving the SUV didn't see you even with the Moto lights?? Or, she just didn't look? What did she say? man I would have been very pissed off. Glad you're okay.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #7 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:16 pm
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about this, but glad you're OK. Be sure to have the dealer check the frame tab where the tipover wing support bar mounts. Those are notorious for breaking off in a hard tipover, and will total the bike in most cases since it requires a full frame replacement to repair.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

She immediately asked if I was okay and said she was sorry. She then proceeded to get her insurance information in order and gave me the insurance info. She did not what to show me her drivers license. I did make note of her maker number and gave it to my insurance company along with all the other info about the accident. The Gal did say her visibility was not good as she pulled out and she did not see me. I was really pissed off, but calmed down instantly when she said she was sorry and admitted and that she pulled out in front of me.

Joe
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 4:39 am

Garage
Question Police report?

I see no mention of one (admittedly, I was skimming a tad) but I bet you have more than $500 worth of damage. It is a BMW we're talking about.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 8:07 am

Sorry for your crash. Almost identical to the one that totaled my Vstrom. Except I hit a Honda Accord and broke my wrist and separated my pelvis a bit. Hope you and the bike end up okay and it all works out for you.

Randy
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:17 pm

Glad you are ok.

Any accident you can walk away from is a "good" one.

Ride safe

Martin
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 3:14 pm

She didn't want to show her license? Did she even have one? As soon as she hesitated with that bit of info, I would have been summoning a cop to get her info, and file an accident report.

Glad you came away relatively unscathed. I would be very surprised if the bike didn't suffer more damage than you think. Definitely have it inspected by a qualified BMW shop.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 3:20 pm

Joe-

I am glad you are OK. Having experienced an accident back in 2002 when I got rear-ended by a tow truck I can sympathize with you.

The bottom line is that the motorcycle is just metal that can be replaced by one way or another.

Good to have you back in one piece. Just know that it was NOT your fault and get on the horse again with confidence....respect it but not be scared of it ....

Ride on buddy!

Spiros
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 3:46 pm

So glad you are o.k., could have been worse, thankfully at least for you it was not. Some excellent points made concerning your LT and getting it thoroughly checked out at the dealer.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #15 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 4:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I also find is suspicious that she wouldn't show you her license. Call her
insurance contact as soon as possible to verify she does have insurance on
the SUV. They'll have her license on file. Be sure they know she was involved
in an accident and was at fault. Did you get her SUV's license number as well?

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

post #16 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 7:31 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Happy you are OK

and you survived which is the important thing.

After all the accidents I have been around, or in, my advice is always call a cop, period.

First off someone has to be charged then. Unless on private property, and even then a cop is needed, like in a shopping Mall or such your "no fault" kicks in, each to their own damage, BUT either Insurance Company can go after the other, so a Police report is needed as proving the others fault might save you Insurance premium.

Let the Police do their job and they will, and then you have documentation.

Best thing is, you can walk away and even think about such things

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 17 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovero
Out for a ride today and was thinking, ridden 60K and no accidents. Going about speed limit of 45mph and see SUV parked on right side of road (gutter) about 500 feet ahead. As I approach out comes the SUV starting to make a u-turn right in front of me. Grabbed full brake front and rear and swerved right trying to avoid contact. Well the brakes worked great but not enough distance to stop before making contact with the SUV right rear just before the bumper. Bike goes down on right side and comes to a quick stop. I got right up off of the road, since that is where I ended up after the crash. Had full gear on and only injury was a sore right thumb. LT mirror popped off and some damage to tip over wing cover, and side case chrome. Also moto light broke off. A couple of guys stopped and help me pick the bike up and roll it off the road. Exchanged insurance info with Gal driving the SUV. SUV had good size dent where the LT tire made contact. Wasn't sure about drive ability after crash so went for a quick ride. Bike was stable but handle bars tweaked to the right. Not sure if handle bars bent or just went out of adjustment. Can handle bars be adjusted left or right or just up and down? Will take the bike to BMW dealer for complete evaluation to be sure front end has no damage and to inspect the tip over wing to make sure no frame damage. All in all LT handled crash and its rider very well. Going over the entire accident in my head and thought the only way it could have been avoided is to have done a panic stop when I saw the parked SUV. Of course if it was indeed parked with no driver then the panic stop would have been for nothing, and if every time I saw a parked car and panic stopped well you can guess the rest.

Joe
Glad you are OK, handle bars are one piece, yours are bent, new ones are not cheap.

Sonny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in