Winter tires question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Wink Winter tires question

I asked this question several years ago, but there are lots of new options for the KLT so I thought I'd ask again.

As we approach winter riding season, which of the current tires rated for the LT would give the best grip in the snow?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Oct 22nd, 2007 at 8:12 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:41 pm

Garage
In the snow? I think that would be the moment to leave the bike in the garage.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:45 pm

I would have to agree with Win

David

2003 K1200 LTC Anthracite

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:47 pm

I would say the Avons. I think they are the 55/56 series.

Otherwise I use Metzlers with pressures lowered to the owners manual specs.

I'm guessing the kind of riding you're talking about is those chances of getting caught in a flurry or such. If so, you want a tire that can build some heat. The Avons are about the softest compound rated for the LT, and that is what it takes to build that heat for decent grip.

Rock, you have any input?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:55 pm

Thumbs up Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I asked this question several years ago, but there are lots of new options for the KLT so I thought I'd ask again.

As we approach winter riding season, which of the current tires rated for the LT would give the best grip in the snow?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
I pull over and stop.......get out the cell phone and call for a 4 wheeler to come get me. When the snow melts, I'll go get it!

I don't heal very fast, so I ain't taken any more chances to the risk of riding a cycle.

Encountered two idiots today. One in a parking lot and one at an intersection where the idiot didn't stop. Sure glad I saw him coming to the intersection so I could MISS him.

Damn, it's FUN riding this LT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 6:58 pm
Cat Herder

There are no winter tires for any of the bikes, not even for the dual sport type bikes.

BUT there are snowchains available for SOME tire dimensions. I am not sure if the LT has one of the dimensions the chains are available for. Having said that, and having spent MULTIPLE winters on two wheels, I seriously doubt the LT is a very capable winter/snow/ice motorcycle. Quite frankly I would be even doubtful with a GS(A) just because of the weight. Something like a F650 would be a MUCH better choice for winter riding.

Having done it I can tell you: It is a hoot! The air is clear and crisp, and once you get used to the cold (dress appropriately) it is absuletely wonderful.

EDIT: I just looked it up. For the F650 there ARE winter tires available. Nothing for any of newer and bigger dual sports that I have seen though.

EDIT: EDIT: clicky

Last edited by andy; Oct 22nd, 2007 at 7:19 pm.
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:12 pm

I saw some posts on here a while ago about some Honda riders using car tires on their bikes. Never saw any that fit on the LT. But maybe a studded winter car tire car help. I agree with above that this machine is way too heavy for me to try and hold up in the snow.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #8 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:01 pm

Charlie:
Saw an old video some time back, they were racing motorcycles on ice. They had studded tires. Looks like they ran roofing nails from the inside and ran a tube with a liner to hold the nails.
If it snows or ices here, I believe I'll stay off of it for a while.

B D R
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Charlie:
Saw an old video some time back, they were racing motorcycles on ice. They had studded tires. Looks like they ran roofing nails from the inside and ran a tube with a liner to hold the nails.
If it snows or ices here, I believe I'll stay off of it for a while.
I used to do that, in the USA a special ice screw that looks similar to a hex headed sheetmetal screw is used. 2 of the hexes are taller and sharper to give more bite. You just run them in a knobby with a drill. Pick your pattern.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Wink Chains

Thanks again for the suggestions and concerns.

Well, placing studs is a little hard on the tires so I think I'm gonna go with chains again this year. Pics attached.

Forecast is for rain tomorrow and I am already feeling the winter doldrums, hence a somewhat mischievous post.

Hope you all take it in the spirit it is intended.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Tire Chains 1.bmp (689.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: bmp Tire Chains 2.bmp (631.3 KB, 85 views)
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:57 pm

Dost thou joke
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 9:28 pm

I have used chains like that. Boy are they noisy. And no not on a motorcycle.
And not at todays highway speeds.

Manny

Need to stay awake

post #13 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 8:18 am

Do the show shoes make it harder to shift???? : ) Do you have a special "BMW Alps" shifter?

Now if you could weld spikes to the chains.....best of both worlds? Watch the lean angles and you;ll do fine. Disconnect the steering stabilizer so you can whip the bars around quicker when you "back it in" to the big power slides.....

Randy
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 9:21 am

Last year I got caught in a nice little snow storm riding the Blue Ridge Parkway at the beginning of November. With a coating on the road, my Metzlers performed surprisingly well.
post #15 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:34 pm

Back in 1978 I went to Newfoundland in May. Got on the overnight ferry and when I woke up as we arrived in the morning 6 inches of snow had fallen. I rode for about 30 miles to my cousin,s house and stayed there a few days. Had to ride on the shoulder in the deep snow, the bike managed to stay up more so than on the beat down stuff where the rest of the traffic went. Not on of my best rides.

Manny

Need to stay awake

post #16 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Well ,

Maybe some TKC80's . I run then on my GS , & there rated M & S (;-»)

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #17 of 18 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:51 pm

Winter riding

MY 2005 Lt has a black ice warning light. The trouble is that it is voice activated, just at you hit the ice and make a loud exclaimation it comes on and flashes.

Try drilling the tire and putting in spikes, and join the Michigan ice racers.

If you do ride in the snow, please take a video so we can watch the exciment. A true test for the ABS.
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Well, placing studs is a little hard on the tires so I think I'm gonna go with chains again this year. Pics attached.
Don't the snow shoes get caught under the shifter?

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in