Oil Leaking from Rear Wheel Drive Clamping Strap - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Oil Leaking from Rear Wheel Drive Clamping Strap

Just bought a 2001 LT-Icon with just under 42K miles, and have noticed a small oil leak from the rear wheel drive clamping strap. Picture shows oil that accumulated in a day of 250 mile riding - not much but significant. Need a bit of guidance re its repair.

First question, the obvious, would I be able to tighten the clamping strap screw enough to stop the leak?

Second, since I plan to inspect the rear brakes (taking off the caliper) soon, I though it would be a good time to remove the rear wheel drive to get at the oil leak. Does that make sense? Should I plan to remove the flexible gaiter and re-coat with a sealant (Staburags NBU 30 PTM according to the LT Repair Manual pg 33-21)?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Dan

PS - I have tried to insert two pictures in this, hope they come thru. If not will try again.

[IMG]Pictures showing source of oil leak[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear end leak 002.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	14901   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear end leak 004 edited.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	14902  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:23 pm

That is a not uncommon leaking pinion seal in the final drive. It is not something that is an indicator of a probable failure, and can be pretty much ignored except for the external oil on your bike and garage floor. If you want it stopped, the dealer can replace that seal. Proably 3-4 hours labor. Part is not expensive.

Tightening the boot clamp will not do anything, and it is better to have the oil leak out than build up in the boot and get beat around by the universal joint in there.

If you ever see the crown gear seal leaking though (right behind the wheel), that is reason to stop riding right then and there and get the final drive repaired/replaced.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 6:03 pm

Lightbulb one of two seal leaking, I suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully2028
Just bought a 2001 LT-Icon with just under 42K miles, and have noticed a small oil leak from the rear wheel drive clamping strap. Picture shows oil that accumulated in a day of 250 mile riding - not much but significant. Need a bit of guidance re its repair.

First question, the obvious, would I be able to tighten the clamping strap screw enough to stop the leak?

Second, since I plan to inspect the rear brakes (taking off the caliper) soon, I though it would be a good time to remove the rear wheel drive to get at the oil leak. Does that make sense? Should I plan to remove the flexible gaiter and re-coat with a sealant (Staburags NBU 30 PTM according to the LT Repair Manual pg 33-21)?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Dan

PS - I have tried to insert two pictures in this, hope they come thru. If not will try again.

[IMG]Pictures showing source of oil leak[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Dan,

Not seriuos right now.

Don't tighten the strap. That isn't your problem. There should be no oil in there.

You either have a rear seal in your tranny leaking or the forward one in your FD unit. Not serious enough to stop riding, but at your next service( dealer) have them investigate to see which seal is leaking.

My .02 worth. Some expert may have another opinion!

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in