headlight "surge" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

headlight "surge"

I have an issue that I believe has been going on since I've owned my LT,(purchased 03 with 30,000, now has 52,000).
I normally don't do alot of night riding, on my last trip I had the ocassion to do quite a bit. I notice that the headlights surge brighter somewhat randomly, its almost as though I can hear a relay is clicking when this occurs. I would estimate the increase in brightness to be about 20% when this occurs. As I said, I believe it has done this since I've owned, with standard bulbs and most recently an HID low beam bulb. It's hard to distinguish whether both hi and lo are doing it, or just the low beam. It is much easier to see when they "click" higher but don't know which is right, it is also kind of hard to tell how much it fluctuates back and forth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanforn
I have an issue that I believe has been going on since I've owned my LT,(purchased 03 with 30,000, now has 52,000).
I normally don't do alot of night riding, on my last trip I had the ocassion to do quite a bit. I notice that the headlights surge brighter somewhat randomly, its almost as though I can hear a relay is clicking when this occurs. I would estimate the increase in brightness to be about 20% when this occurs. As I said, I believe it has done this since I've owned, with standard bulbs and most recently an HID low beam bulb. It's hard to distinguish whether both hi and lo are doing it, or just the low beam. It is much easier to see when they "click" higher but don't know which is right, it is also kind of hard to tell how much it fluctuates back and forth.
Sounds like possibly a loose connection at the light socket or at the battery posts or a bad voltage regulator. But most likley it is an old tired battery. Try the connections first and if you can not remember when the battery was changed I would suggest a new one.

Gene
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:06 pm

Check the battery.

Many years ago had a motorcycle that used a generator to charge the battery. Knew that battery was low on water but it started and ran so I just rode it. One evening after consuming a quart or two of beer was riding it a little hard and got the rpms a little higher than usual, the generator got right with it, not enough battery to absorb the generator output, blew every bulb on the machine that was on at the time, all except low beam and the stop light.

B D R

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 8:21 am

Could be a weakening ground that is responding to the alternator clicking off and on as it cycles? Or could just be the alternator cycling. Like Gene said, could be battery related, especially if you;re still on the OEM battery ( I am).

randy
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Perhaps the grounding would be a good place to start, the battery is an Odyssey which was replaced about a year and a half ago. I'll try to pay more attention, but I'm pretty sure I can hear a clicking noise when this occurs. Is there a headlight relay that could be to blame? Everything else ,(electrically), seems to be working fine on the bike.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 6:50 am

It would seem to me that if the it were a headlight relay that it would be on or off, not changing brightness. Relays are either open or closed, I think (?). Check that ground first and go from there. I've read many stories here about grounding gremlins.

Good luck.
Randy
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 11:12 am

...unless you are hearing some other relay opening/closing that is causing a drain on the system.. Do you have any other electronics (consumer-added) that might be turning on/off at odd times?

Just a guess....

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy
...unless you are hearing some other relay opening/closing that is causing a drain on the system.. Do you have any other electronics (consumer-added) that might be turning on/off at odd times?

Just a guess....
Good point, as I think aloud... Gerbings thermostat- usually off, Piaa with on/switch utilizing signal button, Soundgate(mounts between CD changer and stock harness to facilitate audio out functions).
I usually run without the topbox, so connectors for rear speakers,etc are unhooked. I need to think this thru.....Thanks to all
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Surging lights?

I also have an 03 and had the same problem. I cleaned every ground I could find and have not had any additional problems.

Mike Riley
'03 Graphite Met
AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in