No response from Starter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

No response from Starter

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2003 Lt. Battery was low and while out on a run, stopped briefly and found bike wouldn't start. Replaced battery with a new Odyssey and it still won't start! I've push started the bike and engaged the reverser - works fine - so I'm assuming the starter button and starter motor is OK. I've read about the low voltage circuitry in the post 2002 bikes which I assume is stopping the starter relay working. Does it need resetting? I have a feeling the relay has died but I thought I'd ask before stripping it down.

Any info would be great!

Best Wishes,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

more info

Just thought I'd mention - checked battery wiring, side stand switch - fuel pump makes noise so kill switch OK - no load voltage is about 12.7 volts, ignition on is about 12.5v. Its on charge at the moment. - thanks
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:24 pm

Just checking, bid you by any chance leave the bike in reverse?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

reverse

Hi - no I've checked the reverse switch - switched it back and forth a few times - I don't use it very often anyway - but I'll check it again - thanks
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave003
Hi - no I've checked the reverse switch - switched it back and forth a few times - I don't use it very often anyway - but I'll check it again - thanks
Ole Toad is a '99 model, so we don't have an alarm - butt if you have one, could that thang figger into the problem?? Wouldn't think so, if you can push start it - butt dunno.
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:19 pm

May be time to dig out the volt meter and start checking to see if power is getting to the relay and the starter.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #7 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:53 pm

What Manny said...starter relay!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

thanks everyone - looks like its off with the plastic
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile make shure

You put ALL the wires back on the new battery . If you miss one , it might not work ...I can't remember just what it was . But I have had to scraich my head , and try to find out what I did wrong . I miss one of the ground wires , and what ever it was , it no workie ...patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #10 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:32 am

Hi Dave,

I have the same problem but only from time to time. For no reason, the bike just would not start. I had placed a post in here some time ago and the suggestions were the same: check the starter relay, battery, circuit and so on.
I checked them and everything seems fine. I haven't found the cause but I've found the solution: roll the bike forward just a couple of inches while on first gear. Put it back in neutral and try the starter button. I starts every time for me this way. Worth giving it a try before undressing her

Regards,

Zuchero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in