Where I bought my replacement speakers... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Where I bought my replacement speakers...

When I swapped my LT's speakers this summer, I got slightly upgraded ones for the rear, Alpine SPS-13C2 5.25" 350 watt 2-way, aim-able tweeters, poly cones (not affected by water, but don't soak 'em). I chose them after researching crutchfield--4.5 out of 5 stars, and their tech guy said they would be a good fit--and a couple stereo websites)

Bought them off of EBAY, do a search on ebay for:

west coast electronix

their posted email is:
[email protected]

they've had the speakers on "buy it now" for $39 a pair, and about $26 for shipping all summer...if someone beats you to the one listed, drop them a line, they always have them in stock.

ANY of the EBay sellers that have them for under $45 and under $25 for shipping as a "buy it now" will do you good...you don't have to mess with bidding, etc.

(PS...Best Buy has them "on sale" this week for $95.99 a pair, crutchfield for $89.99, add tax and shipping to that...)

I have had mine since July, am still very impressed. If you want to spend more, help yourself, you can also buy an additional cross-over amp, jack your system up to about 6,000 watts, and put in the latest from Snoop Doggy Dogg, and initiate forward momentum without even starting your engine.

(in other words, this is just ONE option for upgrading your speakers, those with more money are welcome to look into pricier options, you can feel absolutely FREE to post your solutions to the "OEM speakers don't really cut it" issue here, but it won't be necessary to rip me for my choice...I bought four really decent speakers for under $120 with shipping and it made me happy so )

If you take a look at my post from a while ago, I threw up a snapshot from the service manual showing how to replace the front speakers, and talked about how I, um, "modified" the tabs to make it fit. Haven't had any vibration problems or any others in the front, and the rears fit perfectly--if you look at the files section of the forum, I posted a document with step by step and lots of pictures, too.

Good luck, and enjoy the better sound.

Pete "Pimp my LT" Van Dyke

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 1:04 am

I hate those sellers on E bay that charge out the wazoo for shipping.
Check here for the same speakers http://techronics.com/index.cfm?fuse...FQGnPAod_gINgA
http://www.zigiboom.com/show_product...e_SPS-13C2-NIB
This item on E bay has free shipping and BIN $54.75 120173783400
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:57 am Thread Starter

yup...

if the vendor/seller on EBay has more than 200 sales, at least 98% positive feedback, and offers Buy It Now, and you can get the speakers for $39 a pair or less, then find your best shipping deal.

But I'll tell ya, once you swap two of your four, you're gonna' wish you did all four, so you might want to look into whether they offer a shipping discount if you buy two sets and save the shipping cost.

Keep in mind that the two speakers weigh about 5 pounds because of the magnets...mine came shipped to me in the box, over-wrapped in bubble wrap and in another heavy cardboard shipper, shipped fed ex two day. Was that worth $24 in shipping? Nah, but that's EBay.

Happy hunting, all.

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:46 am

Not putting down tha choice at all, but my local audio store, run by an old acquaintence swears that Memphis Audio makes a great set of 2 way 5.25"s. I haven't tried them yet, but they were relatively inexpensive, maybe not as good a deal as these, but another option nevertheless. A nd they have a tweeter cone that is positionable, if that matters on a bike.

Just a thought if you;re going to have to pay too much in shipping. Try a local sound store.

Randy
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

go for it!

(the Alpines have tweeters that you can aim, as well)

also, look at warranty specs, I think the ones I got had 24 months, not sure. But for $39 a pair, who cares?

post #6 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 8:13 am

Yeah the Memphis Audios would have to be on sale to match that price.

It would be great to find them for that price locally. Either set.

Randy
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2009, 1:10 am

Re: Where I bought my replacement speakers...

are the front the same as the rear?
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2009, 1:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

According to the parts list for BMW the speakers are the same front and rear.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:26 pm

I just finished installing two pairs of Polk MM5251's (5-1/4 woofer and 1" tweeter) on the LT this weekend. They were on sale at Crutchfield, buy one get the second at 1/2 price. I have always loved the Polk sound.

It was a B!TC$&%$*%## of an installation though. The rears weren't terrible, the tweeters needed dremel surgery to remove the plastic surround to expose the 1" tweeter, and I drilled an access hole into the trunk to mount the crossovers. The fronts were another story. Had to keep the BMW tweeters - no amount of surgery would get them in - and the woofers required quite a bit of plastic removal to fit as well. Would I do it again? In a minute!

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in