Parking Light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 7:37 pm Thread Starter
Human Behaviour Analyst

Question Parking Light

Could someone please help me understand what the use of the 12V 5W parking light is in the bottom of the headlight housing on my LT ?

It must be burned out on mine so I've never seen it on .... not sure when/why it would be.

This may be a question better directed to the "useless trivia" section of the site ........ [I]although I may find it does something important and that I'm incredibly lucky to have survived this long without it [/I] ??

Thanks,
Keir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 8:10 pm

On my 05 it comes on when I turn the key all the way counter clockwise. From on, turn the key off, then when the front tire is turned to the side turn back one more to lock it. After that there is still one more turn. Then the park lights come on. 2 small ones on the front and just the center bulb in the rear.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #3 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Manny,

They should be on as running lights as well, unless Canada thinks diffrently.

But now to answer the original question... what is the use of the 12V5W bulb?

On the off chance you would park at the side of a dark road you can switch on the parking lights, the little one up front and the center bulb in rear, to be visible and run your battery down at the same time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:16 am

In Germany, and I assume some other countries, parking lights are required to be on when parked at night in some places.

Anywhere though they are nice to have if you have to leave the bike beside the road at night for any reason such as a breakdown or running out of gas. the two bulbs that are on will not run the battery down so fast that you cannot leave it for a couple hours at least.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Anywhere though they are nice to have if you have to leave the bike beside the road at night for any reason such as a breakdown or running out of gas. the two bulbs that are on will not run the battery down so fast that you cannot leave it for a couple hours at least.
I can attest that they will run for at least 10 hours and the bike will still start. I always lock my forks because of the area where I have to park at work and on at least two occasions I have turned the switch one notch to far when locking the forks. I was concerned when I came out and saw the lights on but she started right up. Now it is dark in the morning so I will notice the light if I do it again.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 9:38 am

When your rear drive fails, you can leave it parked in the middle of the interstate, with the lights on without leaving the key in it.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 1:48 pm

Parking light

On the first models the turn signals were not running lights .So the little bulb was the front parking light. i have replaced mine with the LED version and have my HID light on the autoswitch so as not to have it cycle on / off when starting. On occasion I will forget to turn on the headlight(SHAME ON ME, Must be something about aging.............)
The led then becomes my headlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
Could someone please help me understand what the use of the 12V 5W parking light is in the bottom of the headlight housing on my LT ?

It must be burned out on mine so I've never seen it on .... not sure when/why it would be.

This may be a question better directed to the "useless trivia" section of the site ........ [I]although I may find it does something important and that I'm incredibly lucky to have survived this long without it [/I] ??

Thanks,
Keir

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #8 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:29 pm

My 1978 Honda 750 four K had it but only on the tail light. No front light for parking. That is why you should always park on your side of the road.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in