Front brake fluid and Will Be Selling the bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Front brake fluid and Will Be Selling the bike

Mystery
by Jeremy Brown

One cold fall night as I was cruising home from work, it was an average night at 2 in the morning. The cops in the college town paid me no attention as they were focused on getting the underage drinkers and drunk drivers. They have seen my bike leave the school at 2 for months now, as if it were a normal occasion.

OK I will stop the story or rather begin it, I was driving home from work the other day and went to apply the front brakes and what do you know I have a ton of air in the lines and I am not stopping very fast. I naively thought that maybe the front brakes had worn so far that the fluid level got to low and sucked in air. I added fluid and bled the system, all was well for a week or so. Today I jumped on the bike looked at the fluid level, it was in the bubble where I had left it and went down the block. by the end of the block the fluid was gone, even at full tilt to the left and rocked over a little bit. Anyway the fluid has the front of the engine covered and the right side plastic has noticeable trails behind the radiator. Needless to say I will not be taking my bike to work. Any ideas. I have searched and returned nothing.

The bad news. I want to fix the bike, but times are tight here for my wife and I as we bought a new to us home. I don't think we are going to be able to keep this bike. I might be able to scrounge the money around in a year or 2 but I think this one has to go. I love this bike and it saddens me deeply that I have agreed to this but it is the LT and the "Luxury" part is unfortunately a luxury I can't keep.

Please let me know of any Knowledge to the brake fluid leak and also let me know if anyone is interested in a 99' K1200LT Champaign, 73K miles new front and rear tire (Metzler 880's) new brake pads rear and everything else is pretty stock. The bike will not be for sale until leak is figured out and fixed unless the buyer wants to fix it.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 6:01 pm
Gold Supporter

I would check the break lines first. There have been several to break in the recent past. Mostly at the joint areas where the fittings meet the rubber hose. Most of these hoses are not overly expensive and it is usually a easy repair on the early LT without the linked breaks.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 7:34 pm

I agree, this is probably a relatively inexpensive fix. Since the fluid is on the front area of the bike it is not in the expensive area, the ABS system.

Nothing in front but brake lines and fittings. No expensive parts there other than the master cylinder at the brake lever, but if you see no fluid at that area check all the lines and fittings. I assume the front calipers are dry?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

brake lever area was dry, and the right caliper was wet but that was due to extensive drips from everywhere. Lines were wet plastic was wet fender was wet. There is no way that the caliper leaking could have caused lines that are straight up from it to get wet so I assumed that the lines were the cause. I did not know if this was a regular problem or not. I used some simple green to clean up the area rinsed it off and found that when I squeezed the brake lever it leaked out underneath the engine, running down the plastic and engine. Need to get the plastic off of it to get a better look.

Side note, I am not selling it because of the brake problem. My wife and I need the money to put fix misc. items in the house.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 9:20 pm

It's the flex lines that are just above the calipers.. Just go to a Hose shop.

Or one of the flex lines above those...There's a couple of them up there.

They can make you some out of Braided steel hose for about 20 bucks each.
That's what I did on my rear line behind the master cylinder and it about doubled the stopping power.
It's an easy and relatively inxpensive ( As far as the LT goes.) fix.

Hell, don't sell her just because of this. Wait till something really expensive fails.

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JPSpen; Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:31 pm.
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

Hell, don't sell her just because of this. Wait till something really expensive fails.

Good Luck

John
Something expensive did break in the house, gotta come up with money for the furnace and AC and all the installation fees. I don't have the money laying around right now because of the purchase of the house and now I need heat before it gets colder, and it will get much colder here

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 1:34 am

I'd rather have heat during the winter where you live than a motorcycle in the winter where you live.
Bob 00LT
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:02 am

Well are you goinbg to put a price on it?

Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #9 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I agree, this is probably a relatively inexpensive fix. Since the fluid is on the front area of the bike it is not in the expensive area, the ABS system.

Nothing in front but brake lines and fittings. No expensive parts there other than the master cylinder at the brake lever, but if you see no fluid at that area check all the lines and fittings. I assume the front calipers are dry?
Come on, David... this is the second bike in a week with your name on it

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:31 am

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
Come on, David... this is the second bike in a week with your name on it
Now all I have to do is find a full wallet somewhere with my name on it!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Its in the classifieds for $6000 OBO. I will admit I am flexible on it, because of my need for the money. I thought for sure this would catch dshealey. I have seen you guys make comments on him before. You would think the LT "god" would have his own bike, well here it is.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 2:07 pm

brake failure

here's a link with a picture showing where my front brake line ruptured. it ruptured on the front right above where the line T's over to the left front

http://www.bmwlt.com/gallery/browsei...s&searchid=441

here's a link where another LT experienced the failure also
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24883

Joe and Robin
2001 K1200LTC 60K miles
space coast of Florida

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in