For electronics enthusiasts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

For electronics enthusiasts

This rear fog light business...

There is an unused 21W filament in the back light assembly, but I haven't found an easy way to wire it. So I have given some thought to a way to use it without running cables. I came up with an idea about using a small control module. The signals available in the tail light are indicators, brake and tail, so how to make use of them?

It needs some combination that would not generally be used on the road that will latch the fog light on. So how about hazards running, tail light on and flick the brake light on? That could be sensed by a 4 input AND gate and fed to a thyristor relay driver. To turn it off again, switch off the tail light (that is supplying the rail voltage to the module. )

Very low cost. CMOS 4082, little thyristor, cheap relay and some wire.

Comments?

Just pussin' through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 3:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
This rear fog light business...

There is an unused 21W filament in the back light assembly, but I haven't found an easy way to wire it. So I have given some thought to a way to use it without running cables. I came up with an idea about using a small control module. The signals available in the tail light are indicators, brake and tail, so how to make use of them?

It needs some combination that would not generally be used on the road that will latch the fog light on. So how about hazards running, tail light on and flick the brake light on? That could be sensed by a 4 input AND gate and fed to a thyristor relay driver. To turn it off again, switch off the tail light (that is supplying the rail voltage to the module. )

Very low cost. CMOS 4082, little thyristor, cheap relay and some wire.

Comments?

Sorry, I'm not that much of an electrician... I simply pulled one extra wire via one of my extra switches and I use it as rear fog light.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Sorry, I'm not that much of an electrician... I simply pulled one extra wire via one of my extra switches and I use it as rear fog light.

Regards
That was my original intention, but can't work out the loom route from the tail light housing. How did you get the cable to the front?

Just pussin' through.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 2:37 pm

Quote:
That was my original intention, but can't work out the loom route from the tail light housing. How did you get the cable to the front?
Remove the trunk and the lower plastic cover. Push the wire through the grommet or drill a separate hole for the wire. Run the wire under the gas tank. I suggest that if you want to do it properly, run a set of cables under the gas tank at the same time. Then you don't need to do it the hard way every time.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #5 of 6 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Remove the trunk and the lower plastic cover. Push the wire through the grommet or drill a separate hole for the wire.

I pushed it through the grommet, but the problem is, I can't see where it appears the other side to thread it further.

Just pussin' through.
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 5:38 am

Quote:
I pushed it through the grommet, but the problem is, I can't see where it appears the other side to thread it further.
Then you'd better open the rear panel as well. You know...take out the licence plate holder, and open all the torx screws plus the two with large washers under the trunk and pull it out enough to see where the wire hides.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in