My LT is not a "stealth" model.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:51 am Thread Starter

My LT is not a "stealth" model..

Got hit for a 70 in a 55 yesterday near Hardin, IL, on the river road..
I was hoping my LT might be one of the "stealth" models I had read about here in this forum.. My friendly sheriff said he did not lock me in at first (at 72) but let me see the radar gun showing 70..
This means my speedometer had to be reading over 80..
Has anyone else had this problem; when moving from a cruiser to the LT, it seems like you aren't moving?? Its sooooooo smooth.. I have not had a speeding ticket for many years.. Shoot I'm 53, I should be past all this crazy driving.
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:19 am

Speeding tickets

I'm 59 and I still feel the need for speed on the LT. I've come close a lot of times. My speedo seems to be 5mph fast. I came from a cruiser (Yamaha Midnight Venture) and this bike likes to run. I really have to watch myself.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:37 pm

I am new to the BMW motorcycles...been riding Harleys all my life and I am also 59. But...I am going to get some tickets with this thing!! Where I was taking corners at 50-60 mph. on the Harley, I can now run them corners a lot faster than that. And on normal 2 lane highways I find myself going 80 all the time. I am going to start using the cruise more before I rack up a few tickets!!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 1:27 pm

Went 90 all the way from southern Ohio to New Philadelphia on 77. Then had a hard time keeping it at 62 in the 55. Lets just say it didn't take very long to cover that distance. Had to hit the breaks once. V1 went off on instant radar, passed it then hit resume.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 1:34 pm

Hire a liar, I mean lawyer to get you out of it. Else insurance will make you pay and pay and pay.

Yes hard to keep these things within the posted speed limits. Been lucky and have not gotten caught, close a time or two but haven't had a chat with the folks with the blue lights in a good while. Rode to Michigan and back this sumer, most of the time just a little over posted and never a problem.

B D R
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 6:02 pm

Mine is not stealth either. I got caught doing 75 coming around a corner on a 55 MPH highway. The LEO wrote it at 64, which in AZ is a simple "waste of a finite resource." I believe that's a leftover from the nationwide 55 MPH. The fine is only about $26, there are no points, and the State cannot inform your Insurance Co. I was gratefull for that. The officers parting shot was, "You can do one of two things: Slow this thing down, or buy a Harley and you won't be able to do that."

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 7:00 pm

Ya need more TINFOIL !

It wards off aliens, and those guys that look like they are shootin a lazer gun atcha.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 7:27 pm

Yeah That'll Happen

I had a fairly uninteresting driving career for the past 7 or so years, no tickets and anything close was an easy discussion.

Now I got my LT and 2 tickets (Feb and October). First ticket was 76 in a 55, was able to do the "LIAR" thing and have him pleed me down.

Now pinched closer to home (60 in 45) and Tomorrow AM I'm going to defensive driving class. I really hope I'm not late and can actually drive within limits.

Now I'm all about keeping society (well at least most of society) safe, but, Dang, in both cases road conditions wouls easilly allow the speeds I carried.

Anyway, I wish there was an "annual fee" that gave me a free pass (within some speed tolerance) to avoid these PITA events.

Wish me luck, who said Old DOgs couldn't be trained??

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 8:14 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

New to BMW and as I said in another post, it has made me VERY conscious about gear. Now that Fall is finally getting here, I am in my Leather jacket more then my Olympia Mesh, and I miss the Olimpia, but then I digress....

The LT takes me everywhere faster then anything I have owned in the last ten years. Just because those ten years were Harley's got nothing to do with it

Seriously, the more I ride it the more amazed at the power and speed in all but, absolute silence this machine delivers. I really think that is part of it, the silence and smoothness fools you, but not the radar gun

I am also now a high RPM convert. Third gear and about 6-7 grand is way cool. This, and my love of going over a ton when every I have a chance, has made me way more susceptible to speeding tickets

I think I need to get one of those Valentine 1 I see mentioned. Here we got 65 after congested areas, and everyone groups up, and does 70-75. So I was always taught you go faster then traffic, or slower then traffic, to stay out of trouble.

Guess which one it is

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 9:09 pm

Picked up my new LT from the dealer Saturday. Wow! I was amazed at how comfortable it was at .9 mph (x10)... think that will confuse the long arms? Seriously, how do you guys keep from getting tickets? I've got to get a grip, the world just moves so slow when I'm on this bike. Is this common? Will it eventually go away? (I sure hope not)

>Kevin

2006 BMW K1200LT Magnesium Black Graphite
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio4design
Picked up my new LT from the dealer Saturday. Wow! I was amazed at how comfortable it was at .9 mph (x10)... think that will confuse the long arms? Seriously, how do you guys keep from getting tickets? I've got to get a grip, the world just moves so slow when I'm on this bike. Is this common? Will it eventually go away? (I sure hope not)
Welcome to the forum. Might want to change the .9 x10 thats 9 mph. Unless you really mean it.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 9:31 pm

Well,

If you guys are risking tickets on the LT, do NOT get a GT for sure! I seemed to ride very slow on the LT, but it is simply a challenge to NOT use the GT's power.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:06 pm

Ya, .9 (X100) Never was good at math...ha!

>Kevin

2006 BMW K1200LT Magnesium Black Graphite
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

I can't imagine the GT. I am going to really have to watch it with the LT.
I agree with the previous post about the quiet ride. I was just listening to the M.U. vs. TX Tech football game when I got my prize.
I might try more cruise control, but have not used it on the 2 lane very often..

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #15 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:10 pm

Cool

Funny, I haven't been on the forum in quite a while and the first thread I find is one near and dear to me. Unfortunately I have double BMW trouble, my LT and a 540I, can't keep either of 'em near the speed limit. The state troopers and I are on a first name basis and I have a lawyer in five different counties. The trick is to try and space the tickets out as much as possible.
Have fun.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in