New here and could use some help. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:36 am Thread Starter

New here and could use some help.

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and I hate that my first post is a request for help.
I have been reading the forum for awhile and have found it very useful for research.
Now for the help,
I have decided to buy a LT for touring, mostly for a trip to Alaska next summer. I have found a 2003 LTE in Vaccacille Ca. on ebay but am nervous about buying site unseen and then worrying about getting it shipped.

Would there happen to be someone that knows of the bike and owner? Our if he could be a member of this site?

To me it looks like a pretty good deal but I have never had any experience with a BMW.

Any help you pros could give me would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:45 am

Welcome,

First of all, I would never pick an LT to ride in Alaska unless I was being very particular as to where I was going to be riding. There are many, many hazardous roads out there that the LT was NOT designed to use.

Second of all, I would never buy a bike unseen.. I personally would require a copy of all the service records, and personally interview the dealership (if there is one) responsible for maintaining the bike. If there is no dealership on a long distance purchase, I wouldn't buy the bike (period.....)..

Also, big warning, If the bike has been sitting without use for an extended period of time or shows very low mileage for an aged model year (for example '01 with 5K miles or '03 with 4K miles) I would steer clear all together !!!!!

If the bike has any warranty at all, I would immediately begin to investigate an extended warranty for that bike since there are too many unknowns with buying that particular bike. If you can't find one, don't buy it.

If any of the above didn't jive, forget it !!!! Winter is almost here and there will be plenty of bikes available for purchase at very agressive pricing....

My first choice would be to buy a bike from someone in the know that rides alot.

Be patient and find a great deal...

Good Luck
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:03 am

LT on E-Bay

The bike looks good and has an extended warranty that goes to 2010.I looks pretty much stock. If you can get it cheap enough, it might be a good deal. I bought an '03 off Ebay just like it except mine is black. I've had it a year now. Clutch went out shortly after I got it. Extended warranty would have been nice but I didn't purchase it. I don't think I'd do Alaska on an LT though.................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:11 am

Check out the roads you want to ride - if they are paved, the LT is fine. It's tons better on rough (paved) roads than my V-Rod or Valkyrie.

For me, if the roads are not paved, I don't ride anything on two wheels. Just my $0.02.

If you are serious about the bike in question, take the trip, and take it to a dealer yourself. Arrange shipping with the dealer. Yes, that adds to the cost, but you will be in control, and minimize the surprises..
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Thanks all
The roads we are looking at are paved except for construction. I plan on making it to Skagway Alaska, mostly riding around Canada. For the riding I thought the LT would be a good choice. I did try a GT but I felt like I was on a kiddy ride.
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 2:29 pm

Why not a GS? I bought an LT because I was going two up. Otherwise, no question, I would have bought a GS.

Although the GS is much more my style, I'm really falling in love with the LT - after 1,500 miles in a couple weeks, I've found it's much more fun to drive than it looks - and it looks pretty - lots of compliments EVERYWHERE we stopped.

mike
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:51 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input,
I thought about a GS but in my opinion they are the ugliest excuse for a motorcycle I have ever seen.

I know they are very good at what they are made for but I can't see me riding one.
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 9:01 am

There should be bikes for sale locally. May be a bit late in the game for the Alaska trip. But patience can pay off big if you can buy it more locally. I think a guy sopmewhere in IL is thinking of selling his '99 if he can fiix the brake leak. I can't see buying a bike sight unseen. Maybe someone here can look it over for you? I just would not buy a bike I couldn't check out or have checked for me.

Someone on here found my bike in a local paper 2 hrs away. The bike was 3 hrs away, but a good deal, better than anything I had seen on ebay.

Good luck.
Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in