low beam - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:14 am Thread Starter

low beam

Hello all!!
Well, I just got back from an amazing 2 1/2 week trip . While on my trip, I lost my low beam on my headlight but still have my high beam. I tried replacing the bulb with an H3 although the manual says an H7, but it is definitely an H3 bulb but with the same problem still.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ernie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerrider
I lost my low beam on my headlight but still have my high beam. I tried replacing the bulb with an H3 although the manual says an H7, but it is definitely an H3 bulb but with the same problem still.
You need to replace the dipped beam bulb. You have replaced main beam, which as you say in an H3. Try an H7 Osram Silverstar if you can get them there.

Just pussin' through.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:11 am Thread Starter

what do you mean by the dipped bulb? there is only 2 bulbs in the headlight, the one for de-fogging the lamp and the main bulb.

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:19 am

Quote:
what do you mean by the dipped bulb? there is only 2 bulbs in the headlight, the one for de-fogging the lamp and the main bulb.
I'm sorry, I don't understand your response?

There are 3 bulbs...

1) H7 dipped beam

2) H3 Main beam

and

3) Pilot / parking light.

If you look into the front of the headlight, you can see 2 and 3 but dipped beam is hidden behind the reflector for main beam.

Pull off the cover and look almost dead centre of the space. You will see a two pin push on connector. Take that off, release the spring clips and the H7 bulb will drop out.

Just pussin' through.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:37 am

Greetings to a fellow Canadian. The low beam bulb is definitely an H7, and the high beam is an H3. If you have put in a new bulb and still no fix use the "Search" feature of the forum for threads with info on "headlight ground" or variations of this. There is a known problem with corrosion/arcing/burning of the ground wiring in and around the headlight unit.

Steve Collier
'05 KLT
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:41 am Thread Starter

ok....I did not realize that, hhhmmmm....manual s a little deceiving then. All I could see was the H3. I will try what you say and let you know. Thanks for the advice.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 3:48 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
ok....I did not realize that, hhhmmmm....manual s a little deceiving then. All I could see was the H3. I will try what you say and let you know. Thanks for the advice.
You will find the H7 (low beam) above the H3 (high beam). It is a little more difficult to reach, but with experience you will be able to get it by feel while sitting in front of the bike, looking straight at the headlight assembly.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 6:10 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Post Low Beam Replacement

Quote:
Assuming yours is the same as mine, I just did both my low beam (H7 12v 55W) and my High Beam (H3 12V 55W). Got both at Cdn Tire (got the white light HID look-alike type)

What I ended up doing may work for you. Will be easy if you too have daughters because you will have a good supply of hand mirrors around. Armed with one of said mirrors, and a flashlight, pop the back cover off the headlight housing and then aim it so you can see the reflection of the back end of the housing.

You'll see the H3 bulb in the hole closest to the ground and then the one you're after in the one just above it. Once you remove the two-prong plug connecting to the backside of the headlight bulb, frig with the clips and soon you'll find that you are able to to drop the bulb out of there very easily.

I'm sure you know already but to avoid touching the new bulb glass (a no no) place it back in the hole right away and re-frig with the clips to get them to hold it in place. Then connect the plug back up and put the cover back on .... after you test to make sure everything's working.

BTW ...... I unnecessarily relpaced my high beam bulb when I thought it had quit (coincidentally when the low-beam had croaked .. should have known that would be unlikely). The problem was that I had not flipped the copper ground back in place onto the back of the H3 bulb holding piece. Sorry about using all these technical names of things .....

Also -- I found step by step instructions on doing this job in the Service and Maintenance manual. If you can imagine they were exactly correct too if you followed each step in order

Best wishes.
Keir
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Mission accomplished!!! It was the H7 bulb and with a flashlight was much easier to see. It was easy to remove but to put it back in was a little more aggravating but i finally got it.
Thanks for all your advice. I have noe learned something new about my beloved LT.
Ernie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in