Bmw Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 2:29 am Thread Starter

Bmw Service

I have a 2002 BMW k1200lt, I bought it three years ago with 8000 miles. This bike has been all over the place. Some issues, but nothing major. I sent it in to receive a 36,000 mile service. last Feb. for about $800.00 plus some this is what I got. They dropped off the bike, and I hopped on. The kick stand was stiff, the bike wasn't starting (loose battery cable). when we finally got it going, the bike ran but valves sounded loud, I called BWM and said it doesn't sound like you adjusted the valves, they assured they did. After it ran for 20 minutes, we (delivery guy for BMW and me)found a puddle of oil on the ground. BMW took the bike back, i told them to make sure they do it right please, and refill the oil. So i got the bike back and they had pinched the valve cover seal and fixed it. I got the bike back but had to add the missing oil back, as they did not. I rode the bike though the spring, and as june came on in New Hampshire, and Laconia kicked in, I went for a ride. I got stuck in the traffic and too my shock the bike temp went through the roof. lights came on flashing, and temp gage got as hot as it could go, I could stop in the street so i had to move slowly with traffic for a bit. 2 miles. I thought I was going to blow my engine, but it seemed to cool off once i got through traffic. I brought it to BMW. They did not charge me for the repair, as they think they left the fans unplugged on accident from the last repair. Since then, the bike runs close to the hot line on 70-80 degree days. I feel it runs hot. I asked BMW about damage that may have been caused. They assured me that none had been caused, I don't believe them. also, the valve cover leaks still, not as much. they also said the oil near the rear boot is normal on the drive shaft, just to wipe it off. Do i have to worry about this stuff or is it normal?? I don't believe it is. I now have 52000 miles on it and I seem to have weird sensations the the ass end wants to kick out when tacking off, and the clutch seems to once in a blue moon slips. Any thoughts?? thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 4:21 am

Sounds like you may have a couple of issues:

1) Oil on the boot?? What?? That sounds like you may have a transmission output shaft seal leak, or something from the final drive.. If you see drops of oil near the center stand when the bike sits overnite, it sounds like what happened to me. That is not normal !!!

I suggest to start with, you put the bike on the center stand and check for up and down or side to side play at the rear wheel. Also, check underneath the bike for leaks where you see the output shaft up from the boot. If it looks shiney, that is where the oil is coming from.

2) The clutch slippage is definately not normal. But with 50K+, It could be anything from a worn clutch to gear oil that has saturated the clutch through a seal leak in various places like rear main seal, or potentially slave cylinder or seal.. Each could make the clutch come into contact with gear oil and contaminate the plates to where they would slip. BAD NEWS !!!!

For this, I would check where the engine meets the transmission and see if there is and wetness between the two. If so, that is your rear main seal leaking. That accumulation of leaking overtime would cause the problem and clutch will eventually slip worse and worse. Needs to be repaired.

Unfortunately, those are known problems with the K engine. My experience is that if the bike has been sitting without use prior to you owning it for a long period of time, that could further exascerbate the problem.

Doubt #2 is related to #1 though, because the value gasket leak is no where near the transmission and gear oil isn't engine oil whch is what must have been leaking from the valve cover gasket.

Sounds like you had one bad experience with a dealer. But it doesn't sound like the problems are related to the service they performed.

Regardless, you need to get this evaluated and repaired as soon as possible.

Good luck.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

thanks

i have looked at the back of the tranny, it seems to be leaking. Now i have to figure out what to do next. I assume thats a big job to replace that. the rear end seems not to move or wiggle, so Maybe that is good. I moved from NH to Tenn. Either the road is a slippery surface or there is still another problem i have to figure out.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 4:20 pm

When you say the back of the tranny, are you saying where the tranny and the output shaft come together?? Or, do you mean where the engine and the tranny meet?
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

output to the driveshaft

output to drive shaft, there rest of the engine is very dry until you get near the valve cover, which was just replace by bmw in feb.
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 9:00 pm

That sounds like it isn't too bad then. Our local dealer did mine under warranty the other day. It was both the output and input shafts. Doesn't seem related to the clutch I don't believe.

The gasket on the inside of the transmission case. Unlike the rear main seal, you don't need to take the entire bike apart to resolve.

A dealer may charge 5-600 for that work and not into the 5 figures.

I would get it done as soon as possible and have the clutch examined as well.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:54 am Thread Starter

thanks you
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:51 am

Kick out sensation

That rear end kick out sensation may be caused by the Final Drive pivot needle bearings being worn out and letting the Final Drive twist slightly while under power which will let the rear tire induce a little rear end steering. Just a thought, it happened to me and I switched to the bushing type of pivot bearings 10,000 miles ago and no rear end steering problems since. If you are a BMWMOA member check out the last months issue there is a very good article on this subject.

--Thats OK I don't care--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in