FD oil? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

FD oil?

So, I go to my local dealer and ask for final drive gear oil and gearbox oil and the sell me BMW "super synthetic" 75W/140 GL5. The manual calls for SAE 90. The service tech said the 75 would be fine. I used it but I thought I'd ask...

Is it OK?

Also, the manual calls for .24 US quarts for oil changes. I got about .5 quarts in. I did give the wheel a spin as I filled it to get the air bubbles out. Did I fill it too much?

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmas
So, I go to my local dealer and ask for final drive gear oil and gearbox oil and the sell me BMW "super synthetic" 75W/140 GL5. The manual calls for SAE 90. The service tech said the 75 would be fine. I used it but I thought I'd ask...

Is it OK?

Also, the manual calls for .24 US quarts for oil changes. I got about .5 quarts in. I did give the wheel a spin as I filled it to get the air bubbles out. Did I fill it too much?
75/140 is actually better, as it is multi range for temp variations. Like multi grade oils, 75 means that it has the viscosity of 75 straight grade oil at low temp, 140 grade at high temp. Straight 90 will have a higher viscosity at low temp, lower at high temp.

You should not have been able to put .5 quart in! It should only have 260 ml, which is around .25 quart. It should only be filled to about the bottom of the threads for the fill plug. Too much can cause foaming and oil coming out of the vent on top of the drive. I would remove some.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks David. I go pull the fill plug and let it drain for a while to see what comes out.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

I pulled the fill plug to see if it was over filled and nothing came out, so it can't be overfilled...right?

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
75/140 is actually better, as it is multi range for temp variations. Like multi grade oils, 75 means that it has the viscosity of 75 straight grade oil at low temp, 140 grade at high temp. Straight 90 will have a higher viscosity at low temp, lower at high temp.

You should not have been able to put .5 quart in! It should only have 260 ml, which is around .25 quart. It should only be filled to about the bottom of the threads for the fill plug. Too much can cause foaming and oil coming out of the vent on top of the drive. I would remove some.
Multigrade isn't necessarily better. If BMW designed the FD to have 90 weight viscosity, then using 75W140 is not necessarily better. I don't have my owner's manual handy, but I was thinking it specified 80W90. I believe that the 75W140 is a synthetic lube and may well work fine, and I believe BMW sells that in addition to the conventional 80W90, however, there is at least one very experienced BMW mechanic on the internet riders list who is quite adamant that he's seen a lot more failed FDs that were using synthetic lube than with standard Castrol gear oil.

It doesn't make sense to me, but he's seen a lot more FDs than I'll ever see.

Matt

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Multigrade isn't necessarily better. If BMW designed the FD to have 90 weight viscosity, then using 75W140 is not necessarily better. I don't have my owner's manual handy, but I was thinking it specified 80W90. I believe that the 75W140 is a synthetic lube and may well work fine, and I believe BMW sells that in addition to the conventional 80W90, however, there is at least one very experienced BMW mechanic on the internet riders list who is quite adamant that he's seen a lot more failed FDs that were using synthetic lube than with standard Castrol gear oil.

It doesn't make sense to me, but he's seen a lot more FDs than I'll ever see.

Matt
The Service/Technical Booklet specifies SAE 80 W 90 "alternatively" to:
Above 41 degrees, outside = SAE 90
Below 41 degrees, outside = SAE 80

Nothing said about synth - just Brand-name hypoid gear oil, API class GL 5. Least that's how the '99 booklet reads.
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

I probably should have been more specific... The service manual (pre '05?) specifies 90W. The maintenance manual the came with the bike ('05) specifies "Castrol SAF XO" which means nothing to a rookie like me.

Still can't figure out why it took .5 Qt.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 7:17 pm

Over fill

Quote:
.....Still can't figure out why it took .5 Qt.

You said you spun the wheel to get the bubbles out? Spinning the drive while filling oil will cause the oil to be carried up on moving parts because of viscosity. Let the drive sit and remove the filler plug. All the extra oil you put in will come back out. Then remove a little more so the the oil level is even with the bottom of the threads of the filler hole.
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Quote:
I probably should have been more specific... The service manual (pre '05?) specifies 90W. The maintenance manual the came with the bike ('05) specifies "Castrol SAF XO" which means nothing to a rookie like me.

Still can't figure out why it took .5 Qt.
Did a quick search on Castrol SAF XO. It is 75W90 gear oil. Seems to be BMW specific. Look here for more info.

ďRes ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?Ē

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 7:33 pm

The most recent BMW Service Manual CDROM ( for 2004+ bikes) specifies 75w140 Castrol "MTX" which is a synthetic GL5 oil.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 9:22 pm

I don't get too hung up in the details.. I use amsoil severe gear 75w90.

Works for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in