Trunk relocators? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:41 am Thread Starter

Trunk relocators?

Does anyone here know about trunk relocators? I purchased a set about 4 years ago off the internet and installed them on my 99 LT, moved the trunk back about an inch and also they stuck out the rear under the edge of the trunk and had a tab that stuck down so you could attach your helmet when parking the bike. I believe they were aluminum and they came powder coated black and included the hardware. I have searched pretty thoroughly and the only thing I have come up with is the information on the old site about how to make some from steel bar. I would like to find the vendor that I purchased the first set from and get another set so if anyone knows anything about it please share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunique
Does anyone here know about trunk relocators? I purchased a set about 4 years ago off the internet and installed them on my 99 LT, moved the trunk back about an inch and also they stuck out the rear under the edge of the trunk and had a tab that stuck down so you could attach your helmet when parking the bike. I believe they were aluminum and they came powder coated black and included the hardware. I have searched pretty thoroughly and the only thing I have come up with is the information on the old site about how to make some from steel bar. I would like to find the vendor that I purchased the first set from and get another set so if anyone knows anything about it please share.
Don't know what year your bike is, but I assume that you know that you can move the top case back about one inch by using the alternate mounting bolt pattern that is part of the OEM mounting configuration. It is easy to do with no additional parts required. I have a '2007.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Trunk

Yes, I do know about the alternate location but thanks for the suggestion!!

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:00 pm

I've seen 'em mentioned here long back when (well, for me - not the site). See if I can 'draw the picture'...

Two flat bars that bolt down into the sub-frame where the tail trunk mounts. Above the plastic tray(?) Built in to 'em are threaded bolt holes for moving the trunk even further back than the stock holes allow. Several more inches. Am I remembering that one even included a 'jumper' to extend the wire harness into the tail trunk??

When you use the stock holes, you can get a slight overhang of the tail trunk over the tail light. Think an inch or so. With these kind of extenders, you can dang near put centerline of the trunk over the tail light.

I'm almost remembering seeing a picture of a home brewed set that put the front of the tail trunk aft of the tail light. Moved things WAY back. Sort of like having a Ft Worth rack AND a tail trunk at the same time. I think that one also had some kind of angle re-enforcement to keep from bending the bars. Dang near would haffta. Down to a trailer hitch maybe??

I haven't heard anyone mention such things 'round here in quite awhile.

If it was me, I'd likely go down to the local Home Despot and buy some aluminum bars, drill and tap to fit.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #5 of 6 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

trunk

Well I would not want to put it back that far, when you move the trunk to the alternate set of holes it has an overhang maybe as much as an inch and the set I had before moved it back another inch or so. The extra room makes things more comfortable for the missus and that set had the tab on the bottom to lock your helmet to.
However you may be right I may have to head to Lowes or Home Depot for some bar stock and make my own set if I can't find the vendor who sold me the other set.
Thanks!!
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:26 pm

Here you go bro. This should help:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...ts&Main=244215

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in