Cleaning Stock Windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Cleaning Stock Windshield

I have the BMW stock windshield. I use Plexus to clean it, but it fogs up just about every time I take it out. And, it shows fingerprints and smudges badly. What should I use to clean the windshield?

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 9:20 pm

Good results with Plexo

A pilot friend gave me a can of PLEXO, made by Castle. The can advertises "anit-static/anti-fogging". Fogging is still a mild problem but not as much as previous products I've tried.
post #3 of 43 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 9:32 pm

The best thing for the stock windshield is just a wet towel to soften the dirt then dry it. Use denatured alcohol to remove the Plexus and the fogging should stop. You can get denatured alcohol at any paint store or Home Depot. It's happened to all of us.

My son gets Technician's Choice window cleaner from his job and it does great job with no fogging or damage to the windshield. I believe it's only available to the trade though. Good luck.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

post #4 of 43 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:56 pm

+1 on the Dnatured alcohol. Keep the Plexus away... even the mist. When using Dnatured... make sure the cloth is absolutly clean. any dirt/grease clings to the shield like skeeters to the prom queen.
post #5 of 43 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 6:01 am

I just use a HOT wet rag, it loosens bugs and other stuff in a heartbeat.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #6 of 43 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 6:47 am

Dish soap

I have use dish soap for years for the whole bike. Never had any problem. I wash the windshield first, lights and then mirrors. Then finish with the bike. Not the best, I know, but it is quick, easy, and fast.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #7 of 43 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 9:59 am

I use a hot rag to loosen and clean the bugs then Honda spray cleaner and polish. It works great on the entire bike and never fogs the windshield. It is the most used tool I carry.
post #8 of 43 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 9:20 pm

cleaning windshield

I also use a plastic cleaner for airplanes. You can usually pick it up at a small airport, light aircraft use plastic windshields, this stuff works great.
post #9 of 43 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Stock Windshield Cleaner

To all you guys who pitched in with advice for me: Thanks, from the heart of my bottom. I'll give one/all a try. Anything will be better than what I live with now.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #10 of 43 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:46 pm

Re: Cleaning Stock Windshield

They get commision!
bd
NO ur not going for a ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holy moly.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	21585  
post #11 of 43 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:32 am

I've tried the hot towels--never seems to get the bugs off.

One time I had the shield off while working on my LT. It was time to stop, take a shower and do other things.

So. I figured maybe a nice hot steamy shower might loosen up some of the bugs. It was strange taking a shower with my windshield. But, it worked getting rid of more of the bugs.

I dried it off, placed it in my hallway leading to the garage and promptly forgot about it. Late that nite, I went down the hallway to the laundry room, and tripped over it. Guess I got it to clean to see in the semi dark end of the hallway?

Best from cool Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 43 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 6:42 am

At the end of the day or a ride, I lay an old sheet that has been cut to fit, with the contour cup at the top, on the windshield and wet it down. After about 10 minutes I wipe it down with a microfiber towel. That is all..... It has fogged a little some mornings when the humidity is just right, but it happens so rarely that it is not a problem.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 43 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I've tried the hot towels--never seems to get the bugs off.

One time I had the shield off while working on my LT. It was time to stop, take a shower and do other things.

So. I figured maybe a nice hot steamy shower might loosen up some of the bugs. It was strange taking a shower with my windshield. But, it worked getting rid of more of the bugs.

I dried it off, placed it in my hallway leading to the garage and promptly forgot about it. Late that nite, I went down the hallway to the laundry room, and tripped over it. Guess I got it to clean to see in the semi dark end of the hallway?

Best from cool Tucson
Bob
At least you didn't have to tell it any lies and promise to call it the next day.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 43 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 10:23 am

+1 on the warm water and towel. Once in a while i use a product sold by CeeBailey.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #15 of 43 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I carry a spray bottle with just plain ol' water in it. At the end of the riding day, I spray the windshield down, let it set a couple minutes, then wipe the mess off with a soft towel. Has worked great for years. I've also used the Honda cleaner, which works great.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #16 of 43 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Sounds like you are usin a wheat diaper Dano?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #17 of 43 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. It will clean off all the bugs and the windshield will be sparkling clean. It will also clean and polish the bike. Best thing Honda came up with.

It's the journey, not the destination.

2002 K1200LT-E "StratoLounger"
2000 Road King Classic "StratoKruzer"
post #18 of 43 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 9:08 pm
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_King
Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. It will clean off all the bugs and the windshield will be sparkling clean. It will also clean and polish the bike. Best thing Honda came up with.
I went over to Grapevine Honda to buy some of the Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. Asked the parts guy (Trey) if it was ok for windshields, and he said "It used to be". According to him (and he has been there for a while), Honda decided to stop making the stuff a couple years ago. They sold the formula to Amrep, who sell it as Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish.

Here's where it gets interesting. Honda then decided to get back into the cleaners business, but they had sold their formula. The stuff you buy now has more wax in it, hence the complaints from some of you about hazing. I wonder if all the folks who have had bad results bought it recently. I now have a can of the Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish, and am going to give it a try.
post #19 of 43 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 4:23 am

+1 on the Honda Cleaner........that is great stuff. I also use Sprayway glass cleaner because it contains no ammonia. I use it on my computers, too. Most of the time I just use warm water and the little white towels I get at the Dollar Store. They're handy and they come in a 12 pack..............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #20 of 43 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddallison
I have the BMW stock windshield. I use Plexus to clean it, but it fogs up just about every time I take it out. And, it shows fingerprints and smudges badly. What should I use to clean the windshield?
I use ammonia free window cleaner followed by a nice coat of wax on the windscreen, front and back.
On the road cleaning is done with Meguiars Detail Mist, use on the entire bike!

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #21 of 43 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 5:13 pm

http://www.roadcarvin.com/gifts/pro-...cleaner-polish
http://www.originalbikespirits.com/
http://www.originalbikespirits.com/dealerlocator.aspx
http://www.google.com/products?q=ori...+oz&hl=en&aq=f

Also noticed that a local shop sells it for about the same price as the net and the 5oz and 14oz size are about the same price as well....

http://www.shawneecycleplaza.com/pro...idaa2575zz~r=~

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #22 of 43 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 7:53 pm

BMW says water and a soft cloth...something that does not cost $100. Unbelievable!!!
post #23 of 43 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:18 pm
SEG

Black Lab makes a cleaner that pilots use. I started using it and never looked through anything but a clear windshield. No fogging, ever.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #24 of 43 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 10:05 pm

One thing I haven't heard on here. I have been using Lemon Pledge on my plastic windshields for years. I wash the bike, dry it, and then spray it down with pledge and then wipe with a dry cloth and it shines like new. I keep a can in my bike at all times and it cleans the windshield very well.

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
post #25 of 43 Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:58 am

+1 on the pledge, I do use the denatured alcohol to clean the moisture out of the windshield every now and then, and I use a large bottle of glasses cleaner I get at Walmart to clean the windshield and other parts that get bugguts on it, but the pledge is great for general cleaning with a touch of wax....

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #26 of 43 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Quote:
I just had my windshield (09 LT) replaced under warranty due to delaminating of the thin film that covers the windshield. I used CeeBailey plexiglas polish and other polishes, and found out that the best way to clean it is with wet towel. I still use Lemon Pledge on the rest of the bike and it works best for protection and fills in the scratches.
post #27 of 43 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
Ditto on the original bike spirits. It loosens bugs easily and is great on the whole bike. I also use Cee Bailey aircraft windshield polish if there are ever any tiny scratches and it does a great job on those.

2008 Honda Goldwing ABS - full race tech suspension
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Testastretta Tricolore - #83/400
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
post #28 of 43 Old Jun 19th, 2010, 11:36 am

Quote:

i also use prexus but with great results and I wont use anything else as ive already tried em all. the issue your having with prexus is it is NOT a single application product. You apply it with a towel (NOT paper towels) let it dry and then you must buff it off or you will get finger prints. It has a cleaner AND wax in it so if you dont buff it it will look terrible and smudge badly. If buffed off it looks great and keeps clean for quite some time (also helps reduce static dust cling).

As to cleaning the bugs off a towel covering the sheild then wet it down and let it sit 10 minutes (in the shade) and the bugs come right off with ease...then treat with prexus, buff and done with a wonderful finish...no fogging or smudges/prints anywhere

Last edited by Drumbum; Jun 19th, 2010 at 11:43 am.
post #29 of 43 Old Jun 19th, 2010, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbum
i also use prexus but with great results and I wont use anything else as ive already tried em all. the issue your having with prexus is it is NOT a single application product. You apply it with a towel (NOT paper towels) let it dry and then you must buff it off or you will get finger prints. It has a cleaner AND wax in it so if you dont buff it it will look terrible and smudge badly. If buffed off it looks great and keeps clean for quite some time (also helps reduce static dust cling).

As to cleaning the bugs off a towel covering the sheild then wet it down and let it sit 10 minutes (in the shade) and the bugs come right off with ease...then treat with prexus, buff and done with a wonderful finish...no fogging or smudges/prints anywhere

Not encouraging you to change from what you're happy with, butt wondering if you've tried Brillianize by Kleenmaster, and what you thought of it if you used it?
post #30 of 43 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 8:55 am

Smile Re: Cleaning Stock Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctraylor
One thing I haven't heard on here. I have been using Lemon Pledge on my plastic windshields for years. I wash the bike, dry it, and then spray it down with pledge and then wipe with a dry cloth and it shines like new. I keep a can in my bike at all times and it cleans the windshield very well.
+1 on the Pledge. Been using it for many years.
Easy to take on trips, cleans everything including the windshield, and even smells great in the wind. Cleans the bugs off great with a minimum of effort.
But a glass cleaner works better for the mirrors.
I don't leave home without it.
(You can get it at any Walmart also)

Wolf

71 Triumph 650 - 30,000 miles
76 Suzuki GT750 - 40,000 miles
85 1200cc Suzuki Madura - 107,000 miles
86 1200cc Yamaha Venture - 60,000 miles
99 BMW K1200LT - 158,000 (Sold)
09 BMW K1200LT -41,399 miles (and counting)
post #31 of 43 Old Jun 20th, 2010, 4:49 pm

water and a soft cloth....got bugs use more water...let it soak. I love chemicals and pretty cans of fancy glass cleaning stuff but not on my windshield.
post #32 of 43 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 9:12 am

Tried Plexus myself with the same resulted, tried denatured alcohol as suggested and it made no difference....still fogged up. So since the wife promised to 'surprise' me with a new Cee Bailey windshield after I take her to Disney again next month.....I decided that whatever I did to the old windshield wouldn't matter, so I would just experiment some more.
So I did the 'Big No No'........I cleaned the windshield with hot water and dried it really good and left it set for a while.........and then I covered it with Rain-X.....on both sides. On my first ride after doing that on a super muggy (90% humidity) morning, I still got some fog.......so I did it again....only this time as I rubbed it in, I used a hair dryer on low about 18 inches away. Then I rubbed it with clear clean water....again with a little use from the hair dryer......and for the past couple days in really high humidity, I've got the fogging reduced about 85-90%....a HUGE improvement over what it was.
I KNOW all this was the exact WRONG thing to do....and I wouldn't recommend it as a cure-all for anybody else......but it DID work well enough for me to be happy until I get a new windshield.
The forecast is calling for rain and storms on my 45 mile commute home tonight, if it fogs up or does anything out of the ordinary in the rain, I will post and let everyone know.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #33 of 43 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuster
water and a soft cloth....got bugs use more water...let it soak. I love chemicals and pretty cans of fancy glass cleaning stuff but not on my windshield.
My stock windshield has 45,000 + miles and is about 6-7 years old and all that I use is water. Even in the Florida heat and humidity, it does not fog up. Never touch it with anything but water.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #34 of 43 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 11:34 am

My Stock BMW windshield on my R1100RT-P (Ex-CHiPs bike) with 50,000+ miles looked like it needed to be replaced. The fogging after cleaning with soap and water looked like it was inside the shield, but when examined I found it could be felt with the fingertips.

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I stopped at an AutoZone and asked them if they had any polish for plastic windshields like motorcycles and aircraft. The guy walked me down the cleaner aisle and handed me a bottle of PlastX.

When I got home, I took the windshield off and followed the directions. It took a lot of elbow grease, and a few clean soft rags, but when I was done about 1/2 hour later, the windshield looked like new.

For less than $9 I have enough PlastX to get me through the next couple of years without a new windshield. If your windshield is in bad shape, give it a try...

I wish I had taken before and after photos, but didn't think of it at the time.... sorry.
post #35 of 43 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 12:01 pm

Thumbs up Re: Cleaning Stock Windshield

I still have the original windshield on my '03 LT. I carry a spray bottle full of water with a dozen drops of Shaklee Basic H in it. The Basic H makes water wetter. I use it on the whole bike. Works rather quick if you do it right after a ride. Squit it on and wipe it off with a soft clean cloth.
Although my shield has a ding or two, it doesn't fog up.

Just my two cents worth.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #36 of 43 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 12:40 pm

Hi, to all the Guy's with this kind of Problem. Don't laugh about this now.
Use just furniture polish. You should have this in the states Jonsons Dust and Clean. Once a Year and you never have trouble again.
Put it on and polish with a very soft cloth gently without any pressure until all the smoke and the polish is gone.

Manfred
post #37 of 43 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 7:50 pm

+4 on the Pledge. Used it for many yrs. Best used at end of ride for easiest bug removal.
Works great to keep paint work clean as a whistle with minimal effort.

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #38 of 43 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 11:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I carry McGuires detail spray and a cotton towel on trips. You can do the windshield and entire bike with one product. It seems to work on every type of bug I've tried so far.

post #39 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 1:11 am
Gold Supporter

I have my wife clean the windshield, works great
post #40 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 8:16 am

Towel
Sink
Hot water
Place towel on windshield for five min
Dry
Presto

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #41 of 43 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 9:49 am

When back from a run I place a chamois which has been soaked in hot water on the screen and leave for a few minutes. A quick wipe and all the sticky flies are gone.
Than a quick polish with Mr Sheen (similar to pledge) and screen is nice and clean.
post #42 of 43 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Garage

I have used Plexus in the blue and white aerosol can a couple times and did get some early morning fogging in the mountains of NC, and TN last year. Since then I have used plain water and keep a shop towel and a microfiber towel in my bike.
Don't leave home without it.

Dick I have only tried those 2 things and it worked for me
ride safe
post #43 of 43 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Mix up some Joy dish soap to clean off the stuff that is causing the hazing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in