Wax recommendation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Question Wax recommendation

Anybody have a wax recommendation for one that isn't extremely hard to use relative to the buffing process? I was hoping for something that's clear rather than white or blue so that if you don't get it out of a difficult detail it doesn't look so bad. I can always get out the toothbrush if needed but thought there might be a good wax available that someone's come across in the past. Thanks.

2007 BMW R1200RT - Silver
Safari-pegs, Bakup Backrest, Zumo 550, Ztechnik windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 6:30 pm

"Ice" by Turtle Wax which is available most anywhere will do the job with your parameters. Best and easiest to apply wax I have ever used.

Monte
Kerrville, TX
post #3 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 6:53 pm

+1 What he said.....I dread waxing my F-350 crew cab pickup but Ice made it go so much easier! Looks great too!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

post #4 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:44 pm

Check Wizard products. Not cheap but easy to use and can't beat the finish.
post #5 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:59 pm

Add another vote for ICE you can get it on anything and it won't leave a white residue.

The beatings will continue untill morale improves.
post #6 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:03 pm

Eagle 1

Eagle 1 Nano Wax is pretty easy to use. No white powder residue.

Brian Hubbard

2005 RT Dark Grey

Carpe Diem
post #7 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:14 pm

Rejex.

Made for airplanes. Easy on, easy off, and when you're done, a VERY slippery coating that bugs and sap won't stick to.

Found out about it over at the ZX-12R.org site - those guys need the extra slipstream Rejex provides.

And I use Zaino on my car. Hard to put on, hard to take off, lasts over a year.

I won't take that time on a motorcycle. Too intricate to get it right.

Rejex is fast and easy. Try www.skygeek.com for the best price.

mike
post #8 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Windshield treatment

This is all excellent information (thanks). Does anyone use Rain-X on their windshield? Was wondering if it was a bad idea to use it on plexiglass since it was designed to be used on glass. Don't want to shorten the life of the WS.

post #9 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 9:51 pm

I've used the liquid NuFinish on all of my vehicles for years including the LT and love it. I wouldn't use Rain-X on the windshield, don't know if it will damage the coating on the stock shield.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #10 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:05 pm

Don't use RainX

BMWBUYER,

I was told by both of the Seattle areas dealers that RainX will wreck your windshield. I am too chicken to try using it. In case you haven't heard it does rain a lot here and it would be nice to find something that wisks the rain away. I am still looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 K1200LT - found a new owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 R1200GS for sale

2008 R1200GS-Adventure - fun with 8.7 gallons of gas
post #11 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:08 pm

Wax

I've been using Zymol. It's a German product; non-toxic. It supposedly nourishes the paint. It's highly rated and gives a warm finish, but I don't think it lasts as long as Nu-Finish. It is semi-water compatible till it dries, so it washes off seats and rubber if you wipe it off soon. It leaves less white residue in chips than Nu-Finish, but still seems to leave some.
post #12 of 23 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:19 pm

Wax on Wax off

Protect-All!!! Goes on like spray pledge furniture polish.
It's a carnauba based wax works on everything. I don't use it on
the windshield though.
I swear by the stuff. It will clean off all sorts of unidentifiable
goo and crud. (WAX ON WAX OFF-DONE)

Richard Consolazio
01-BMW K1200 LTC
(Champagne)
"My Big Beige Broad"
post #13 of 23 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 5:46 am

I have been using S100 wax. It goes on clear so if you get some on places you shouldn't....it comes off easy with no white residue. They also make a bike wash that is really good.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #14 of 23 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 8:41 am

Wax

I have been an old fashioned "Carnuba" guy for as long as I can remember but fast and easy it aint! a while back a friend introduced me to the "REJEX" mentioned in an earlier post, he rides Goldwings and he was using it on everything on the bike so I finally gave it a try, GREAT STUFF, clean the bike well use soft clean applicaors and a soft clean cloth to buff and it provides a beautiful shine and as suggested earlier a surface that these wonderful love bugs in Florida dont adhere to very well. I especially use it on the windshield and it has not caused any problems yet give it a try you will like it.
post #15 of 23 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
I've used the liquid NuFinish on all of my vehicles for years including the LT and love it.
+1 here. I have been using that pretty orange bottle for a whilt on the bike and both cars. Easy on and easy off. You cna apply it in the sun and even on a hot car. Works well.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 23 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
I've used the liquid NuFinish on all of my vehicles for years including the LT and love it. I wouldn't use Rain-X on the windshield, don't know if it will damage the coating on the stock shield.

DO NOT use Rain-X. When I bought my LT, the previous owner used it and ruined the windshield. He ordered a replacement so that he could sell the bike. I paid 1/2 price for the new Parabellum in the box.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #17 of 23 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 9:45 am Thread Starter

Ice

Just wanted to follow up with the results of my waxing experience for the LT. I decided to try "Ice" by Turtle Wax since there were several good recommendations for it. Excellent results and I'm inspired to wax both of my cars now too. It went on easier than any wax that I've ever used and the best part is that it also is formulated to be used on all the plastic as well as the paint. I basically put it on every surface on the bike and when I wiped it off (which was very easy to do) the bike looked fantastic. I'm sure that the other products mentioned in this post are good too but I can attest to Ice being exactly what I was looking for when I created the post.

I can't say yet how durable the wax is since I only put it on this weekend but even if it doesn't last that long it's relatively easy to use so I won't hesitate to put on another coat. I wash the bike after every ride so I'll have plenty of opportunities for monitoring the durability of the wax. One of the other nice things about this wax is that it didn't leave any little pockets of wax in the little nooks and crannies where it's hard to remove the wax. The dry color is clear so unless you get a really big chunk of it in a detail you don't see it. I did get out the toothbrush to clean it out of the recesses of a few places such as the torx fastener heads but that was about it.

The only negative about the wax is the cost. I've never paid $18 for a can of wax before but I will easily do it again when this can is empty.

I'll have to confess that as I've grown older and a little more affluent, I've treated myself to the luxury of paying to have my cars detailed for many years. I used to wax my cars all the time but I just don't have the time for that kind of weekend experience any more. However, I'm inspired to detail both of my cars with this wax and get back into the challenge of seeing just how clean I can get those vehicles. Really helps you keep an eye on the condition of your vehicles too when you do your own detailing.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass on a big thumbs up for the Turtle Wax Ice product. Thanks to everyone for another excellent response from many members of this forum regarding my question on something as basic as buying wax.

Tim

post #18 of 23 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:32 pm

Pledge. Dollar General. Fills in the swirls. Spray on. Wipe off. Dry off with a soft cloth. Works great on all surfaces. Save your money. Try it on bugs. Spray it on. Let it sit. Wipe it off. I used to do the traditional wax until I lived in Laughlin Nevada. I had a custom paint job done by a popular Las Vegas painter. He saw me getting the wax out and he told me I was crazy for using that crap. He brought out a can of Lemon Pledge. I tried it and it worked great! I have used it on every bike I have had. All of my buddies have made the switch also.
Chuck
post #19 of 23 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:24 pm

I like Crystal-Glo.....just google crystal-glo and you will get more info from a variety of sources....it's acrylic, not wax.

Andy
tet68vet
'05 Lt Ocean Blue Metallic
'02 Nightrain Black "of course"
"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know." - POW-MIA
post #20 of 23 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 8:05 am

I've used the quickie spray on waxes for just that, quickie results. They don't seem to last. I've always been a fan of Zymol especially on dark colors(they make 2,1 for light,1 for dark).. Also I've been using Griot's garage Best of Show carnuba wax and have been really happy with the results. Check out their web site they have a ton of cleaning and detailing products for cars and bikes(not affiliated in any way)
post #21 of 23 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 9:57 am

zaino and rain-x

zaino has a new clear spray on wax that is similar to ICE in application and appearance. I use that on the LT and it is great stuff. Nice shine, good and slippery and no residue. I have used it on the windscreen as well.

I have also used Rain-X on my windscreen and haven't noticed any problems. Time will tell.

Tom
Central Florida
2007 K1200LT Black
2006 Nissan 350Z Roadster - Black
2002 BMW 540i Sport with Dinan Stage 2 package
post #22 of 23 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 7:01 am

Since I have been using Plexus, I have not had to use any other products on any part of the bike. Leaves it clean and a good coating.

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #23 of 23 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfthelaw
zaino has a new clear spray on wax that is similar to ICE in application and appearance. I use that on the LT and it is great stuff. Nice shine, good and slippery and no residue. I have used it on the windscreen as well.
I've used Zaino on my Boxster since I bought it (new in 2004). The regular Zaino is AMAZING, but it's a long process to put on and take off. Actually, it's easy to do, but it takes a long time. You mix up about 2 ounces and put on 4-5 ultra thin coats from that. You put on one coat, wait at least a 1/2 hour, then wipe it off. Then do another coat. When I Zaino the car, it takes almost 12 hours. I was busy last year and didn't get to do it. Next week will be two years and it's still protecting the car - you should see how water beads when it rains - a thing of beauty.

On a bike, this should take half the time.

Now they have some spray on/wipe off stuff, I'll try it on the LT.

I love anything Zaino makes - due to experience.

I found out about it because it's what the show car guys use.

I use Rejex on the bike because that's what all the ZX-12R guys recommend. Easy on, easy off, and it leaves a really slick coating that prevents bugs, sap, tar, etc. from sticking to it. And it lasts about 6 months. Miracle stuff. It's made for airplanes where a slick surface increases mileage.

My $.02

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in