Who has done this to their LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Who has done this to their LT?

Hi all,

Bought a used 2005 Ocean Blue in mid-July.

The electrical options put on by the dealer were a mess. Crappy connections, no labeling, things didn't work right.

So I stripped it down to rewire, and cleaned and treated every surface, wire and bolt using cleaner/wax and rubber rejuvinator (and about a half-dozen detail brushes). I had to, the bike lived in the desert and everything was dirty and drying out.

So here it is clean and ready to be put back together. The electricals are done by this time and the instruments and speakers are back on (switched to Alpine speakers). The plastic on the instrument panel is because I got a new cover for them ($130) - the last owner wasn't careful when cleaning and it was hazed with swirl marks.

You couldn't walk around in my apartment because of all the parts spread out everywhere - living room, dining room and dining table and kitchen counters and floor. It took almost 8 weeks.

Have a look:

mike p

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:37 pm

Wow, now if you just put in the gas tank and a seat you could have really lightweight LT to ride on.

Oh, well maybe you'd still need some front and tail lights, turn signals and why not some storage space and a rear seat for mommy, and some fairings for wind protection and...and..

No really, I am planning to do the same to mine (again) this winter, but I bet it will just be my good intention.

Great (and big) job you have done! Just make sure you will not have left over parts for a second LT when you are done...
Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:43 pm
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Talking Desert???

Now what's all this noise about the bike living in the desert that it dried out? Mine's been living in the desert for over 3-years with no ill effects. Its nice and clean - it only get's dirty when I get to the coast.

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF

post #4 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:45 pm

I think I am going to be sick.....
post #5 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 5:01 pm
Gold Supporter

And I can hardly find enough time to ride around the block.
Very inspirational though.

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #6 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 5:08 pm

Mike, let me know if you need some help putting it back together. I am in Van Nuys. Whereabout are you in L.A.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiker
Hi all,

Bought a used 2005 Ocean Blue in mid-July.

The electrical options put on by the dealer were a mess. Crappy connections, no labeling, things didn't work right.

So I stripped it down to rewire, and cleaned and treated every surface, wire and bolt using cleaner/wax and rubber rejuvinator (and about a half-dozen detail brushes). I had to, the bike lived in the desert and everything was dirty and drying out.

So here it is clean and ready to be put back together. The electricals are done by this time and the instruments and speakers are back on (switched to Alpine speakers). The plastic on the instrument panel is because I got a new cover for them ($130) - the last owner wasn't careful when cleaning and it was hazed with swirl marks.

You couldn't walk around in my apartment because of all the parts spread out everywhere - living room, dining room and dining table and kitchen counters and floor. It took almost 8 weeks.

Have a look:

mike p

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 5:30 pm

BMW's new naked cruiser...

Hell, I'd leave it like that...

put a seat on it, fabricate some protective bars for the vulnerable areas, tell people it's the new Suzuki B-King, they won't know the difference!

you did a great job, it looks fabulous.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 5:39 pm

Hey! Mine is that clean. Ok. It was till we rode in the dust. But I cheated - it's an 07. Great job. An inspiration, even! Maybe next winter???? <G>

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #9 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Who Has Done this to their LT

I dream about doing this, then I look at all those screws, knowing there are alot more hidden I don't even know about yet. Hoping for a tech session in my area.
Sacramento area
'05 LT light yellow.
post #10 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Bare naked

Where are the moderators when you need them? Somebody is posting pictures of bare naked laydees and they are not being pulled ;-))))

Just kidding - great job and I am sure an inspiration to those of us that can be bothered ;-)

regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #11 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:37 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Looks REALLY good!

I think I will wait a year or two

Don't forget a big tube of dialectic grease for all those connectors you have out in the open now.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Very Long!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Just make sure you will not have left over parts for a second LT when you are done...
Regards
Three screws were left over - all three are weird looking. I did have to make a few decisions on what holes got 12 or 15 or 20 mm T25 screws. There is a lot of help here for that, plus I bought the BMW fiche and Clymer manual (believe me, having both REALLY helped) but there's a lot of undocumented screw lengths - most notably, the nose cone area.

I also had a little round rubber cap left over. About 3/4" round an a few millimeters high. I remember taking it off but forgot where it goes back. If anybody knows where it goes...

Read an article in this months Motocycle Consumer News (my favorite motorcycle mag) about being so excited about taking things apart you don't document them thinking you'll remember. Eight weeks later, I was really pissed at myself for not slowing down and documenting (things come off real fast and go on real slow). Before I started, someone said make liberal use of a digital camera. I did not. Another mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Becker
what's all this noise about the bike living in the desert that it dried out?
It was living in Palmdale, CA. Covered with a fine desert dust/dirt. Very hard to get off. I'd wash things with a sponge and soap and when it dried, there'd still be dirt on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg)
Mike, let me know if you need some help putting it back together. I am in Van Nuys. Whereabout are you in L.A.?
The picture below is 2 days after I finished putting it back together - at the Grand Canyon. My suggestion to anyone who does this (besides the above advice) is to go back over the whole bike with a torque wrench. I wasn't happy about finishing the bike and leaving the next day (my plan was to finish a month earlier, but again - it comes apart fast and goes together slow).

Monterey Park - Just east of Downtown. Let's ride! Or drop by for some fabulous Chinese food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petervandyke)
put a seat on it, fabricate some protective bars for the vulnerable areas, tell people it's the new Suzuki B-King, they won't know the difference!
You can put the seat, tank, and crash bars on it and drive it that way. I did to make sure I had a few things right. Wow, is it a different bike without the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn)
Hey! Mine is that clean. Ok. It was till we rode in the dust. But I cheated - it's an 07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrprn)
I dream about doing this, then I look at all those screws, knowing there are alot more hidden I don't even know about yet.
That's what I thought. But surprisingly, there aren't that many hidden. Just take from me what I learned - document, document, document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF)
Don't forget a big tube of dialectic grease for all those connectors you have out in the open now.
DID IT!

I documented everything when I did this to my ZX-12R when I got it four years ago and it was fast and easy to put it back together. I still have the ZX-12R and it looks showroom fresh 'cuz now I can just wash it and use a little Protect-All or Honda Polish and it's back to new again.

So here's what I did:

Installed BMR shelf with Garmin Zumo 550 and XM Navtraffic.
Added Passport 9500 Radar Detector.
Removed 6 Disc Changer and replaced with Dice interface and 60Gb iPod.
Wired everything to a Autocom Super Pro Avi.
Powered everything through a Touratech relay-activated fuse block.
Rewired the poorly done SmarTire (I love this thing - dead-nuts accurate).
Installed Suburban Machinary peg lowering kit.
Installed Cee Bailey Windshield - #2 with wings -4" clear & round.
Installed the fuel line connector upgrades (not by choice )
As mentioned, upgraded to four Alpine speakers
Replaced parts that weren't taken care of (did you know those wings next to the windshield are $55? EACH??????)

Here's the kicker - I ran all wires through 3/4" plastic hosing from under the headlight to just over the front of the battery and pulled electricians string through it so I can pull more wires without disassembling. Also, I bought 8 foot sub-mini stereo extension cables (four) from Radio Shack and ran them from front to back (you can see the three white connectors in the picture below). Now all the accessories that go into the Autocom have their plugs under the front fairing cover - and they're clearly labeled. So if I have a problem or want to ad or change accessories, I merely remove the fairing cover and there it all is!

Lastly, whoever wired the Autocom speaker cut-off was a dolt. So I undid the whole thing (about 25 bullet connectors) and wired in a plug to the speaker wires. Now when I take off the tupperware, it's just another plug to take the music interface off. And I made a loopback connector so if the switch goes kablooey (which they have a reputation for) I can plug in the loopback plug and the bike stereo goes back to stock operation.

MOST OF THE OPTIONS I DID came from information I got here.

I got REALLY bummed that the board crashed the day before I left and didn't work the whole time I was gone. Three or four questions came up that I would have liked help with.

So thanks for the praise - this place is great - and below you'll see the ONLY reason I bought this bike:

Thanks all

mike p.

The ride between the north and south rim of the Grand Canyon:

Before the rewire job:

And after. What you can hardly see (below) is all wires are wrapped with labels - nothing to chance!

Added in the Autocom 1321 music interface bypass switch with a molex connector. The A/B/C labels now correspond to the A/B/C I wrote in my Clymer manual so I don't have to read diagrams and wires to figure out what's what. The L on the molex connector means that is the stereo's left side wires. Now if a speaker goes dead, I know which side of the connector to start troubleshooting. Note shrink-wrap and wire ties on all connections - everywhere. Another idea I got from this board!!!

Last edited by mrbiker; Oct 18th, 2007 at 8:10 pm.
post #13 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:02 pm

I like it. Once the warranty is of my 05 I will have to see if I can get it striped down that far without breaking
anything.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #14 of 45 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:11 pm

Very nice job. I wish I had the wherewithall to do the same thing to my bike.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:09 am

uugggghhh

Put some clothes on, it's like seeing my grandma (rip) without clothes.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #16 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:44 pm

Mike,

You mentioned that you changed speakers, how do they sound? I recently switched the rears to Polk Audio db Series db525, but the radio on my 2001 LT does not have the power to drive them so the sound is not as good as expected. Did you have to add an amp?

Thanks,

Jose
post #17 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 1:18 pm

I have had mine down to that and more during it's "extreme makeover" which took about two weeks to complete. Things that were done included; Remus exhaust, Rhinewest cam grears, HID, new fuse block, LOUD horn, voltage gauge, autocom, some service things and a bunch of little things. It was fun though.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #18 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 4:53 pm

I've had mine down to this point -- and...check the second photo to see how clean it was on the INSIDE! Check pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike on Lift w notes2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	14845   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd stage clutch job 037.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	14846  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #19 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 5:10 pm

How long did it take

I could do that...if I had six months. I like to pretend that everything is just fine under all that plastic. Now you've made me doubt it. I'm going to just act as if I never saw this photo.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #20 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 11:25 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
Where are the moderators when you need them? Somebody is posting pictures of bare naked laydees and they are not being pulled ;-))))

Just kidding - great job and I am sure an inspiration to those of us that can be bothered ;-)

regards
Hey, you stole my line. I was going to complain about the nudity on this post! All kidding aside, I too found less than tidy work done by the dealer when I had them install PIAA lights and the CB/Intercom back when I wasn't courageous enough to tackle the work myself. When I recently did a tear down to put in the GPS, I went ahead and re-routed the wires that were seemingly strewn about, hung on the steering damper and near fuel injector lines, etc., and made it neater. I can't say I did such a thorough job as our friend who started this thread, but I can tell you it makes a difference to see the wiring done properly.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #21 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 1:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgonzo1
Mike,

You mentioned that you changed speakers, how do they sound? I recently switched the rears to Polk Audio db Series db525, but the radio on my 2001 LT does not have the power to drive them so the sound is not as good as expected. Did you have to add an amp?

Thanks,

Jose
I switched out the fronts and left the rears to compare.

The mids and highs are comparable but the lows on the new ones kick-butt, so they sound a lot better.

I bought Alpine speakers Model SPS-13C2

I didn't need to add an amp - the amp in the radio is definitely loud enough. I did consider doing it before the speaker upgrade but didn't need to.

There's a nice looking four channel amp made for motorcycles that I saw somewhere on this site, but darned if I can find it now. I think it was around $90 and had the size and power to be perfect for the LT. Although I never heard of the company before.

If I find it, I'll post it. If anyone else finds it...

Thanks.

mike

Last edited by mrbiker; Oct 20th, 2007 at 1:58 am.
post #22 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 1:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I have had mine down to that and more during it's "extreme makeover" which took about two weeks to complete. Things that were done included; Remus exhaust, Rhinewest cam grears, HID, new fuse block, LOUD horn, voltage gauge, autocom, some service things and a bunch of little things. It was fun though.
TWO WEEKS!!!
Now I feel like a schmuck! How'd you do that? Was that full or part time? I worked sometimes 8-10 hours a day and it took me months.

Have you done this before?

I'm impressed! And embarrassed!

mike
post #23 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 1:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
I've had mine down to this point -- and...check the second photo to see how clean it was on the INSIDE! Check pics below:
Why'd you do that? Clutch? Did you find the inside that clean? That's freakin' amazing

mike
post #24 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 1:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
I could do that...if I had six months. I like to pretend that everything is just fine under all that plastic. Now you've made me doubt it. I'm going to just act as if I never saw this photo.
Everything IS fine under all that plastic - and not as dusty as some of the easy to get to spots.

My first clue something was wrong was when I discovered half the volume coming from the right side speakers as the left. So I moved the balance over and the music all went to left rear. And when I changed the fader to the rear right, it sounded like mice were singing in there

That's what started the whole project. I took the tupperware off to get to the Autocom switch for the speakers which was mounted under the left front speaker. The rest is history - I discovered what you see in the before the rewire photo - with no labels for anything!

Again, my only advice - document where all the screws come out of, or you'll make a bunch of executive decisions while SLOWLY putting it back together.

The day I realized there was nothing else to do but start reassembly, I got a real cold chill up my spine. It took weeks, but I got 'er done.

Good luck,

mike

Last edited by mrbiker; Oct 20th, 2007 at 1:59 am.
post #25 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 1:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
I can tell you it makes a difference to see the wiring done properly.
How true! It was worth the aggravation knowing it's done right. And the SHOCKING part was everything worked the first time when I put it back together. Even I was surprised. So I did 1,300 miles in the week after putting the final screws in (me and the pillion lady circled the Grand Canyon) and everything held up perfectly. Boy was I surprised. But if you do it right the first time...

BTW - along with the toolkit, I brought all the stuff you'd need for electrical reapairs - portable soldering iron, connectors, meter, etc.

Here's what it looks like at the end of the job near the battery - rewiring and detailing done.

The Odyssey battery was a suggestion from this board, also.

mike
post #26 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 1:56 am Thread Starter

More photos...

Here's the condition of this 2005 K1200LT when I bought it - this is representative of everything but the painted surfaces - which were nicely waxed.

And here we are two months later:

And a better look at the wiring up front (with a good look at the connectors and labels):

Thanks for bearing with me - I've never taken the time to document a project this well, and you all seem to be enjoying it - making me feel mighty proud. Thanks again to you all.

mike
post #27 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 7:31 am

Quote:
I switched out the fronts and left the rears to compare.

The mids and highs are comparable but the lows on the new ones kick-butt, so they sound a lot better.

I bought Alpine speakers Model SPS-13C2

I didn't need to add an amp - the amp in the radio is definitely loud enough. I did consider doing it before the speaker upgrade but didn't need to.

There's a nice looking four channel amp made for motorcycles that I saw somewhere on this site, but darned if I can find it now. I think it was around $90 and had the size and power to be perfect for the LT. Although I never heard of the company before.

If I find it, I'll post it. If anyone else finds it...

Thanks.

mike
I hope those Alpine speakers Model SPS-13C2 speakers are water proof, the Alpine web site did not say if they were, I noticed Alpine had some marine speakers listed.

Sonny
post #28 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chockkicker
I hope those Alpine speakers Model SPS-13C2 speakers are water proof, the Alpine web site did not say if they were, I noticed Alpine had some marine speakers listed.
The Alpine speakers have polypropoline cones so they are waterproof to some extent. I used those because a few people on here used similar models with success.

After putting them in, I can see how BMW protects them from the elements. I won't drive in heavy rain. I've done it and I don't like it. Maybe someday I'll be forced to, but I avoid it at all costs.

Besides, the Alpines look more waterproof than the OEM speakers.

Normally I'd say I don't care if they die, I'll just change them again ($40 a pair), but those fronts are a real PITA to change.

mike
post #29 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 3:42 pm

Talking

Sheesh Mike... you did a darn good job at making the rest of us look bad!!!
Quote:
Here's the condition of this 2005 K1200LT when I bought it - this is representative of everything but the painted surfaces - which were nicely waxed.

And a better look at the wiring up front (with a good look at the connectors and labels):

Thanks for bearing with me - I've never taken the time to document a project this well, and you all seem to be enjoying it - making me feel mighty proud. Thanks again to you all.

mike

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #30 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 5:35 pm
was

Kudos, Mike. Elegant work. But the truly compulsive ones among us (not me, you understand; I'm writing this for a friend) want before and after pics of the underside of the bike. Example: the attached is the 'before' pic of the underside of the rear fender when I did my clutch slave and final drive.

I must admit that the 'after' pic, if there were an 'after' pic, would look the same. And yours?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swingarm Removed.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	14851  

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #31 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 7:34 pm

Kudos

I can't believe you didn't dust under those grips.......... ..........great job. You got more nerve than I do.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #32 of 45 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Why'd you do that? Clutch? Did you find the inside that clean? That's freakin' amazing

mike

No, it was not that clean when I opened it up! It was VERY dirty because the slave cylinder had failed and contaminated the clutch area. This was a picture of how clean it was AFTER cleaning and BEFORE reasembly! Here's another one of it disassembled:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3rd stage clutch job 033.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	14856  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #33 of 45 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
But the truly compulsive ones among us (not me, you understand; I'm writing this for a friend) want before and after pics of the underside of the bike.
HOLY MACKERAL! I just realized: I'M COMPULSIVE!

"Hi, my name is Mike and i can't stop cleaning and accessorizing my LT." (all together now - "HI, MIKE!).

So there you have it, the first step is admiting you have a problem - not this "not me, you understand; I'm writing this for a friend." C'mon, WAS, you have to face up to your problems. I'm trying to and take it from me, it's tough to do!

So enough with the touchy-feely stuff - do you want me to come over and clean under that back fender?? It's disgusting! I'd be happy to do it!!!

mike
post #34 of 45 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
No, it was not that clean when I opened it up! It was VERY dirty because the slave cylinder had failed and contaminated the clutch area. This was a picture of how clean it was AFTER cleaning and BEFORE reasembly! Here's another one of it disassembled:
Those pictures are amazing. How is that being held up mid-project - fishing line and duct tape?

Kudos to you - I just cleaned the outside surfaces - you did the REALLY tough ones!

mike
post #35 of 45 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
I can't believe you didn't dust under those grips..........
What makes you think I didn't? Take a closer look.

BTW- I've been known to quote your signature line in the last few weeks! Thanks for that - I love it!

mike
post #36 of 45 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:45 am

This was my project finnaly found it, funny when you tear into the bike you find lots of little things the factory left loose. I did forget to take the hand grips off and dust under them, maybe next time!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22271

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #37 of 45 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 6:15 am

How about a close-up of that shelf and Zuma, please?

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #38 of 45 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:56 am

Very impressive

Don't stop now.
At the first tech at Howard's place, we are starting on my bike.
When Joe looks up and says "What goes on in the mind of a man, THAT TEATHERS HIS TUPPERWARE?"
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #39 of 45 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:43 am

Mike, that is just beautiful.

I spend all day working around brand new motorcycles being built on an assembly line, where the dirtiest parts are the ones that accidentally get too much anti-sieze on them. But when I work on my bike, it looks like your "before" picture. It would be great to have my bike that clean...but I've already had mine on the lift for two months just to find & fix all the leaks; all I've got time for is to get 'er back together and clean the parts I took off.

Spectacular job with your ride. Oh, and keep taking those photos; the more the better. One day soon we'll have a place to start collecting them all here so everyone can use them to document all kinds of projects.

Quote:

mike

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #40 of 45 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 9:12 am

Quote:
Ditto here. And I've included photos of the "dirty" situation that necessitated the job (which is still not finished, by the way )

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #41 of 45 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

More photos...

Here's what the right bag looks like inside - minus the 6 disc CD changer.
The four light gray cables are the other end of the extensions from the front.
This bag was packed tight with clothing (in Kathy's bag liner) and nothing overheated:

And here's what the dash now looks like:

Thanks for looking.

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)

Last edited by mrbiker; Oct 23rd, 2007 at 1:49 am.
post #42 of 45 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 1:17 am

Great set up! Explain your Autocom set up, i have the same one and am not very happy with it. I installed mine above the radio and have a 2820 instead of the Zumo. Do you find that there is a need for an amp for the XM part of the Zumo?

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #43 of 45 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 1:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
Great set up! Explain your Autocom set up, i have the same one and am not very happy with it. I installed mine above the radio and have a 2820 instead of the Zumo. Do you find that there is a need for an amp for the XM part of the Zumo?
Everything worked amazingly well the first time.

I called Autocom support a couple of times and their tech (I can't recall his name right now but a few people here have mentioned how helpful he is) faxed me info on interfacing the bike stereo and how to do the override mods myself (I have a VERY low powered soldering iron and know how to use it - SMC's are very delicate).

HOWEVER:

He said try it without the mods first - some people don't need them. Turns out, he was right - I didn't need them. The Zumo and the radar detector were loud enough. The radar detector has to be kept on low volume or it screams - a terrific feature. The Zumo should be a tad bit louder - but I haven't had time to do any adjusting since I got back from my trip. Apparently, there's input adjustments inside the Autocom (documented in the manual) and one of these days I'm going to open it up and turn it up a bit.

On the other hand, the bike stereo (interfaced through the Autocom 1321) distorts horribly when not even half-way turned up - so I've got to turn that input down.

The only other problem I had was during the entire trip, we had huge wind so wind noise constantly triggered the VOX - thinking we were talking. This turned down the music - so is was an almost constant up and down to the volume of the music. This can also be disabled. A couple of times I adjusted the sensitivity of the VOX, and by the time I got it to false trigger only about 10% of the time, my girlfriend (not a big voice) had to talk loud to get the converstation transmitted. I got frustrated by her not talking loud enough, even after I adjusted mic placement in her helmet 3 times.

The Zumo does have individual setting for the volume of XM, Navigation prompts, and phone calls.

BTW - that was the surprising part - everything I've read said because I was using the Autocom 1299 interface for the Zumo, I may have problems talking on the phone (with the other party hearing me) but nope, me and my girlfriend were able to talk to the reservation department of Las Vegas hotels on our way out there. Everybody could talk and hear each other perfectly.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post, or pm, or pm for my phone number and we can talk - although that guy at Autocom was great.

mike p
post #44 of 45 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:05 am

8 weeks

I couldn't go 8 weeks without riding. Great job though.

Tom
Central Florida
2007 K1200LT Black
2006 Nissan 350Z Roadster - Black
2002 BMW 540i Sport with Dinan Stage 2 package
post #45 of 45 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfthelaw
I couldn't go 8 weeks without riding. Great job though.
Bought the bike for a trip to the Grand Canyon - and want to ride around the southwest/west over the next several years.

I rode the bike for about 100 miles before I started the project so I didn't know what I'd be missing.

Besides, I had my ZX-12R to ride while this was getting done.

As much as the LT is fun to ride - and it is, the Ninja is a major adrenaline rush. I'm sure this comment will get a lot of heat

mike p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in