Can I run a Metzler rear and Bridgestone Front?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Can I run a Metzler rear and Bridgestone Front??

It's time. I bought the bike used, with a new front tire, and a slightly used rear, both were Metzler 880's, which all in all is a pretty good tire. I changed out the rear about 8,000 miles into it, again to a Metzler 880. I did not change out the front, because I'd like to switch to a stickier tire, with better rain performance. Mileage isn't that critical (nobody said we had a cheap hobby). I was going to change both the front and the rear at the same time, probably to a Bridgestone (?????).

I mis-timed it. The front is bald (with the standard wear on the left), and I am going to the BMW rally in Texas this weekend. I gotta do something before I head out, but the rear Metzler still has almost half it's life left.

Opinions?? I don't want to buy any more Metzlers, because I've been slipping around as it is. Anybody want a slightly used Metzler???

Thanks for the quick responses, I gotta do something this afternoon.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessJeep
It's time. I bought the bike used, with a new front tire, and a slightly used rear, both were Metzler 880's, which all in all is a pretty good tire. I changed out the rear about 8,000 miles into it, again to a Metzler 880. I did not change out the front, because I'd like to switch to a stickier tire, with better rain performance. Mileage isn't that critical (nobody said we had a cheap hobby). I was going to change both the front and the rear at the same time, probably to a Bridgestone (?????).

I mis-timed it. The front is bald (with the standard wear on the left), and I am going to the BMW rally in Texas this weekend. I gotta do something before I head out, but the rear Metzler still has almost half it's life left.

Opinions?? I don't want to buy any more Metzlers, because I've been slipping around as it is. Anybody want a slightly used Metzler???

Thanks for the quick responses, I gotta do something this afternoon.

Robert
Put a Bridgestone BT020 BIAS ply on front, and no problems. Mixing brands is not an issue, mixing Bias and Radial MAY be, but even that is debatable.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:10 pm

I have a bridgestone radial on the rear and a 880 on the front. I have run this combination for 3000 miles without any problems.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:30 pm

I know alot of people on here do mix brands, and have no problems. I was at a tire Seminar at this year's CCR, and the presenter, TJ Tennent ( I believe his name is) says that you should NOT do this. The tires are of different compound and developed with different performance philosophies. Just telling you what he said. BTW, I would be interested in a slightly used Metzler, depending on wear and price.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:12 pm

I also would be interested in a slightly used ME880 Rear - PM me with what you want for it. I am also out of sync with my front and rear wear.
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:25 pm

No

The advice from a genuine tire engineer that spoke at CCR is don't mix brands and don't mix bias and radial.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #7 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 6:40 pm

I need an new front tire to replace the BT20 radial. The rear still has half the tread ware.

I decide to switch to the 880s since the roads out here are most flat and straight, and the standard Tucson day is sunshine, blue sky, and green plants. Thought it would be nice to change tires only once during 10-12K.

My experiment of the new 880 in front and the used BT20 is not working out.

The best way to describe it is that the rebound rate on the front no longer matches that on the rear. And, it feels as if the rebound rate of the front and rear are at different angles?

The closest experience I've had to this is running a springer front end on my swing arm 1961 HD chopper.

Either this Friday or next Friday, I'll ride over to SWMotosports and change the rear to the 880.

Bob, 00LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in