Another mystery photo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:56 am Thread Starter

Question Another mystery photo

Since the last "name that photo" thread was so fun, and since I have some more unidentified parts laying around, I thought I'd challenge the masses again with another photo. These fasteners were all sitting together on a table behind the rear of the bike, which has had the rear swingarm removed and the canisterectomy performed while doing a clutch replacement. Someone (hopefully not me ) forgot to bag & tag these, but at least they were grouped together and not scattered all over the floor (unless, of course, this is an incomplete set, and one or more fasteners is scattered about the floor!)

I haven't had the chance to pore over the FM or the parts fiche yet, so I may be posting a no-brainer.

Who knows, if this is as fun as the last one, maybe I'll just start posting random macro shots of my bike (hmmm, this could get interesting, maybe an occasional shot from a Harley to throw off the gurus )

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

The Large ones are the bolts that hold the trunk down,or the cover beneath it. Small ones are license plate screws.

Dan Martin
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=Schweintechnik]Since the last "name that photo" thread was so fun, and since I have some more unidentified parts laying around, I thought I'd challenge the masses again with another photo. These fasteners were all sitting together on a table behind the rear of the bike, which has had the rear swingarm removed and the canisterectomy performed while doing a clutch replacement. Someone (hopefully not me ) forgot to bag & tag these, but at least they were grouped together and not scattered all over the floor (unless, of course, this is an incomplete set, and one or more fasteners is scattered about the floor!)

I haven't had the chance to pore over the FM or the parts fiche yet, so I may be posting a no-brainer.

Who knows, if this is as fun as the last one, maybe I'll just start posting random macro shots of my bike (hmmm, this could get interesting, maybe an occasional shot from a Harley to throw off the gurus )

Macro masochist!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:09 am

Not sure about the shorties, butt the longies may be the four that bolt down the bottom of the top trunk to the frame attachment points. These bolts are only seen when the bottom case liner is removed. I can't find mine at the moment (I am running the Ft. Worth rack) to check, butt betcha somebody will jump in here with the answer, Dave. A thought about the shorties - they may be part of the retaining strap for the top trunk lid. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
Since the last "name that photo" thread was so fun, and since I have some more unidentified parts laying around, I thought I'd challenge the masses again with another photo. These fasteners were all sitting together on a table behind the rear of the bike, which has had the rear swingarm removed and the canisterectomy performed while doing a clutch replacement. Someone (hopefully not me ) forgot to bag & tag these, but at least they were grouped together and not scattered all over the floor (unless, of course, this is an incomplete set, and one or more fasteners is scattered about the floor!)

post #5 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:23 am

Yeah, I was gonna' say the same thing, but, um, uh, um, being that I am such a tech genius too...uh, I'd have to, uh, taste the bolts to be sure. Yeah, that's it.

(and -1 to the first goof who posts a flame response because I used "taste" and "bolt" in the same sentence!)

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
The Large ones are the bolts that hold the trunk down,or the cover beneath it. Small ones are license plate screws.

Dan Martin
I think you nailed it on the larger bolts (trunk), but I think the smaller bolts are for the rear mud flap (to be removed to allow the rear wheel to come off).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:13 pm

Screw the bolts
How much for that ruler???

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Screw the bolts
How much for that ruler???
Incra makes a bunch of varieties of these, I have a few flavors for woodworking. Can't remember where I got 'em, but you can see some here or here.

Incra is for the Geek Woodworker.

Dave

post #9 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Not sure about the shorties, butt the longies may be the four that bolt down the bottom of the top trunk to the frame attachment points. These bolts are only seen when the bottom case liner is removed. I can't find mine at the moment (I am running the Ft. Worth rack) to check, butt betcha somebody will jump in here with the answer, Dave. A thought about the shorties - they may be part of the retaining strap for the top trunk lid. Good luck.
Dick, I like your thought about the strap...those washers are plastic, by the way. I think the trunk mount is close, but I thought the lid under the trunk takes a very similar fastener (top case=38mm long, lid=22mm on realoem.com), and these appear to be less than 1" long, which would suggest they're for the lid.

I'll be trying all this out when I get home!

Dave

post #10 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 1:32 pm

Hey - Never mind the bolts where did you get that ruler ? I like the idea of the marking holes ! Supplier please?
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 1:38 pm

I'm think'n

4 large ones are to the black plastic cover under the trunk case and the short ones are at the Lt & Rt tips of said cover.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 2:13 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
The shorties hold that same cover on as well - at the front corners, on the sides.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #13 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

It's an Incra ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmunro
Hey - Never mind the bolts where did you get that ruler ? I like the idea of the marking holes ! Supplier please?
See my post to Zotter above.

Dave

post #14 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 2:32 pm

Thanks Dave!!

Good stuff

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #15 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Incra makes a bunch of varieties of these, I have a few flavors for woodworking. Can't remember where I got 'em, but you can see some here or here.

Incra is for the Geek Woodworker.
Well, I hope you are satisfied with yourself now. Fancy posting stuff like that. Do you realise how fragile my credit card is and that now it is depleted further? Still it will come in handy soon to measure how far we can travel on on pound Sterling's worth of petrol soon.

Just pussin' through.
post #16 of 18 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
4 large ones are to the black plastic cover under the trunk case and the short ones are at the Lt & Rt tips of said cover.
DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!

Mr. Kinsey wins the prize!

Of course, if Mr. Kinsey is not present or is subsequently disqualified pending the outcome of his background check, Randy came in a close second with the same answer 35 minutes later

And now, The Rest of The Story: The goofball who removed those fasteners and failed to bag & tag them was... ME!

Dave

post #17 of 18 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:52 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Randy came in a close second with the same answer 35 minutes later
I opened the reply before you had one, but I had to find, crop and upload the picture between 15 interruptions at the office

Pretty clear example just how difficult it is to follow through with anything at the office.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #18 of 18 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 4:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I opened the reply before you had one, but I had to find, crop and upload the picture between 15 interruptions at the office

Pretty clear example just how difficult it is to follow through with anything at the office.
Amen to that!

FYI, you might be able to save a step or two by using the Snapshot tool within Adobe Acrobat Reader - it's one of the Select & Zoom tools on the menu, or you can add it to the toolbar:

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in