DIY While under warranty - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

DIY While under warranty

I have four months warranty left and i,m coming up for a 12k service and in march of next year my bike will be two years old.
Got the wife moaning about the cost of the service .
what do i do ?.
I,m sitting at home looking at the cd workshop , which i have recently bought and I can,t make my mind up what to do .
I have many years experience of servicing my previous bikes , especially bmw ,s.
The last big job i did was changing a clutch on a k100 a few years ago .
What i want to ask is, if I service it myself using genuine parts and get the dealer to change the brake /clutch fluid and READ THE Moditec faults out, is this going to effect the resale value when i decide to sell it., because Obviously there won,t be a stamp in the service book.
and will bmw still honour the remainder of the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 4:28 pm
Super Moderator

This will have no affect on the warranty or resale value whatsoever. A large number of folks on this site perform their own service and get the dealers to do the other items you mention (including me). Go ahead and do your own service, and save the money for some new farkles!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 4:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
They can't dishonor the warranty if you do your own service, unless you've obviously messed something up badly. Just keep your parts receipts and a record of what you've done. Plus if you let the dealer do the flushes and MoDiTec readout, they should at least stamp that section.

You're in the UK, right? There's no info in your profile. Maybe someone near you can help walk you through it the first time, or maybe just come and watch you do it while they learn. That has helped a lot of folks get more comfortable with maintenance on the LT.

If you're reasonably mechanically competent, just take your time and follow the manual and all will be fine.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 6:39 pm

Changing the clutch fluid is certainly a lot easier than changing a clutch.

Can't imagine paying anyone to squeeze my clutch lever, or pour fluid into the reservoir.

Guess you could save the clutch fluid into bag, and include it with the sale of your bike.

For SALE: 03 LT; includes all used fluids and parts from the 12K service.

Bob
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 7:52 pm

I have used my warranty after performing the 24K service myself. No problems. Just keep the receipts of the parts you bought for reference.
If your bike turns 2 yrs in March you should have 1 year and 4 months of factory warranty left as it is 3 years or 36K.

~~~~~~~~~
Fascinating.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankf
I have used my warranty after performing the 24K service myself. No problems. Just keep the receipts of the parts you bought for reference.
If your bike turns 2 yrs in March you should have 1 year and 4 months of factory warranty left as it is 3 years or 36K.
Numbnuts doesn't want to tell us where he is - somebody might launch an ICBM at him, I guess - but I think he's in the UK, as Ken Meese suggested. They don't get a 3 yr, 36,000 mile warranty on that side of the Big Pond.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 1:46 am
IBR# 366

Garage
My '99 LT (bought in the UK) had a 1-year warranty. If they've upped it to two years then they're ahead of the game and probably happy about it. Mustn't grumble and all that.

Besides, BMW's don't break anyway, do they?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 5:28 am Thread Starter

DIY while under warranty

Thanks for the input so far folks.
Yes I,m here in Blighty and our warranty is only 2 years with the oportunity to extend for a further 1 year for 650.
My dealer has told me that the extended warranty is not as good as the original warranty.
At the moment I,m nit picking with the bike and i,m driving the dealer mad , making sure that before the warranty expires the bike is perfect so that I dont have to start spending after it expires.
Another issue I have is that some dealers employ young kids (cheap labour) to work on the bikes , and at 47.00 per hour +tax at 17.5% , I woud still check there work when I returned home .

04 your 05

In Blighty
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 2:25 pm

Smile

Use genuine BMW parts keep ALL receipts and all will be OK unless you cockup on a job. Owners manual states that warranty will be operative as long as service is carried out by BMW,this practice was outlawed in some consumer act many years ago under the heading of "restrictive practice" Why pay 400.00+ for some spotty "yuff" to do what you can do better.
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 1:59 am

Also take lots of pics of what you do and parts used. Good record for yourself and the next owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in