AMSOIL Synthetic Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 8:34 pm Thread Starter
Human Behaviour Analyst

Question AMSOIL Synthetic Question

I've been persuaded to give AMSOIL Synthetic a try with my next engine oil change.

AMSOIL offers incredible guarantees for extended mileage use but they are subject to using their oil filters.

Does anyone know if they make an oil filter to fit a K1200 engine? If so, part number or where to get one would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Keir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Tim will be here shortly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 8:40 pm

The Amsoil oil filter # is SMF122. They are painted black. We've run a whole bunch of them in many LT's for a buttload of miles without any problems or paint flaking.

I'm not gonna comment on extended oil changes as that's too much like an oil thread.

Is saying you're not gonna comment constitute a comment?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

post #4 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 8:43 pm Thread Starter
Human Behaviour Analyst

Thanks Grif.
Not sure about New Braunfels TX, but here in Fredericton, saying you won't comment is definitely a comment .....
BTW -- Can you but the AMSOIL Filter (to fit an LT) pretty much anywhere they sell the oil?
post #5 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The Amsoil oil filter # is SMF122. They are painted black. We've run a whole bunch of them in many LT's for a buttload of miles without any problems or paint flaking.

I'm not gonna comment on extended oil changes as that's too much like an oil thread.

Is that like when Joe says he's NOT gay and it's really code for "I'm GAY"! ??

Whoops - hijacked another thread but its been way too long since anyone has picked on him...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 9:04 pm

Quote:

Not too long ago, they changed their filter line up for the BMWs. What used to be SMF122 for the K1200LT, is now EaOM122. Looks identical to me. I've got one of each in the gearage. So I guess it's what is inside that makes the difference - somethang about nanofiber material?!?! Still painted on the outside.
post #7 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 9:12 pm

The new filters supposedly allow you go longer between filter changes and trap more bad stuff.

Any dealer that sells the oil can sell you a filter.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #8 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:43 pm

I'm using both the amsoil synthoil and the severe gear oil. I have been using it with the BMW filters. Have a couple of the Amsoil filter that I will start using on the next change.
post #9 of 27 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 1:35 am

Quote:
... We've run a whole bunch of them in many LT's for a buttload of miles ....
Now, clarify for me if you can.

Is a buttload more or less than a crap-ton? Or am I mixing my fruit here. Maybe I should be asking about a boat-load?? I'm pretty sure that a hella-bunch is less than a boat-load, but not quite sure where buttload fits in. I'm thinking crap-ton is more than any of 'em combined - but I could wrong.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #10 of 27 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter

Is a buttload more or less than a crap-ton? Or am I mixing my fruit here. Maybe I should be asking about a boat-load?? I'm pretty sure that a hella-bunch is less than a boat-load, but not quite sure where buttload fits in. I'm thinking crap-ton is more than any of 'em combined - but I could wrong.

How does one who lives inland know how much is in a boat-load?

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #11 of 27 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 9:06 am

I used the chrome plated one. As far as I know I have not had any problems. I will be doing my oil change soon. I will post the results.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #12 of 27 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:10 am

For what it's worth, I was running MOBIL 1 15-50w extended performance synthetic in my '01 LT and decided to try the Amsoil 15-50w synthetic (motorcycle oil) just to see if I could tell any difference.

The difference was instantly noticable, but in a NEGATIVE way. I could hear a LOT more engine noise. Switched back to the Mobil 1 and it stopped. It was amazing. Very noticeable. (Plus the snake oil...er...I mean AMSoil, was a good bit more expensive).

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 27 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 11:43 am

+1 Pastor Jack.

In my 2004 GL1800 I used Mobil 1 for 15,000 miles then tried Amsoil. I could hear much more internal engine/gearbox noise with the Amsoil and the bike seemed a bit sluggish - almost like there was a greater amount of friction.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #14 of 27 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:01 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter

I believe a buttload is a measure of distance as opposed to weight. Somewhat similar to a lightyear which some (hopefully few) believe is a measure of time...a buttload refers to the number of miles one can ride an LT with a standard seat. A crap-ton is definitely a measure of weight and I believe the National Bureau of Standards maintains a weight with this name as a standard.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #15 of 27 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:04 pm

Friction: Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil

Did you use motorcycle specific Amsoil and Mobil 1? Were the viscosities the same on both oils? What viscosity was it? Just curious.

Fred
post #16 of 27 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I believe a buttload is a measure of distance as opposed to weight. Somewhat similar to a lightyear which some (hopefully few) believe is a measure of time...a buttload refers to the number of miles one can ride an LT with a standard seat. A crap-ton is definitely a measure of weight and I believe the National Bureau of Standards maintains a weight with this name as a standard.
Similarly from the suthern vernackular, a "fer piece" is also a measure of distance, while a "hankerin" is a measure of potential energy.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #17 of 27 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodDreamer
Did you use motorcycle specific Amsoil and Mobil 1? Were the viscosities the same on both oils? What viscosity was it? Just curious.

Fred

In my case, the viscosities were the same. Both were (15 -50w)
The MOBIL 1 was not motorcycle specific (just fine in the LT) and the AMSOIL was motorcycle specific.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #18 of 27 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 9:04 pm

First Timer

OK... I'm lazy. I know I could look up the info in my owner's manual, but it's much more interesting hearing it from all of you.

I've been doing my own service on my Harleys for years, being a big fan of AMSOIL more recently, so you'll have to bear with my "newbie-ish-ness" (is that a real word???) on the LT. On the Harley, I used AMSOIL for the tranny, motor, and primary every 5K. My understanding with the LT is that fluids need changed at 6K intervals. I'm now at 18K on my used '05 LT and would like to do this myself. What fluids need changed and can the same lubricant be used in all of these? It's interesting that Mobil 1 users noticed more "noise" when switching to AMSOIL. On the Harley, AMSOIL made things much more quiet and smoother. Also, for those of you using Mobil 1, where can I get a filter besides the BMW dealer? Consider me a lemming... if y'all are doing it, then I will too! Thanks much!
post #19 of 27 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 8:31 am

I used Mobil 1 that was recommended for wet clutch motorcycle applications (red cap?) and Amsoil MC oil.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #20 of 27 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 9:03 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

My experience exactly with Amsoil.

05 Road Glide, 98", 615/585 sticks, duel 50mm throttle body, 10.8:1, roughly 110/115 HP/Torque, and Amsoil ran it quiet. Mobil was noisy, Amsoil not. I am using Sever Gear Amsoil in my FD and Trany on the LT, 600, 3000, and the upcoming 6000 service.

Guess there is a difference on the LT, and I wont know for another 6000 until my most EXCELLENT Service Manger tells me it is OK, he said 12,000 for a minimum on Synth in the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerBeemer66
OK... I'm lazy. I know I could look up the info in my owner's manual, but it's much more interesting hearing it from all of you.

I've been doing my own service on my Harleys for years, being a big fan of AMSOIL more recently, so you'll have to bear with my "newbie-ish-ness" (is that a real word???) on the LT. On the Harley, I used AMSOIL for the tranny, motor, and primary every 5K. My understanding with the LT is that fluids need changed at 6K intervals. I'm now at 18K on my used '05 LT and would like to do this myself. What fluids need changed and can the same lubricant be used in all of these? It's interesting that Mobil 1 users noticed more "noise" when switching to AMSOIL. On the Harley, AMSOIL made things much more quiet and smoother. Also, for those of you using Mobil 1, where can I get a filter besides the BMW dealer? Consider me a lemming... if y'all are doing it, then I will too! Thanks much!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #21 of 27 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
"...I wont know for another 6000 until my most EXCELLENT Service Manger tells me it is OK, he said 12,000 for a minimum on Synth in the motor.
Are you guys actually running motor oil for 12k in a motorcycle engine??? Or ANY engine???

No way in the world I would do that. No way....and I don't care who told me that.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #22 of 27 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:23 am

Let me interpret...

I agree with you and I certainly don't run my oil that far in anything, but I also don't believe that's LAF was saying. I think the recommendation is to hold off on using synthetic in the motor until you reach 12K. Maybe... maybe not. I know that Amsoil claims you can go double the manufacturer's recommendation on oil changes when using their product (in this case, that would be 12K). I have seen independent lab results of used Amsoil out of a Goldwing where the oil was used for twice the mileage recommended by Honda. Very impressive results, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Just my $.02 worth.

Back to my one of my original questions... what fluids should I be changing at 18K?
post #23 of 27 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Are you guys actually running motor oil for 12k in a motorcycle engine??? Or ANY engine???

No way in the world I would do that. No way....and I don't care who told me that.
Uhh, yeah.
I have been using Amsoil in all my cars I have had and the bike also.
In 1998 I bought a brand new VW Jetta with a TDI Diesel motor. I drove it for work and put 29K a year. I used Amsoil and was told to run it around 12-15K miles, drop the filter and replace one quart, then run it to 25K and then do a complete oil and filter change. THat seemed kinda like a LONG time since I was used to the "every 3000" approach. I ran the diesel car to 10K and then pulled a sample of the oil and had it sent off to be analyzed. THe tests came back with a bunch or compounds that I have no idea what they were but the bottom line on the test was that the oil was good for ANOTHER 20-25K miles due to the compounds that were there. That was after 10K already. I had a hard time going that far since I was used to the 3K mile thing so I just had it changed every 10K.
I am still using Amsoil in the bike and two cars and have NO problems with them.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #24 of 27 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 12:55 pm

I'm also running the Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil (the new MCV version) and the EaOM122 Amsoil motorcycle oil filter for 12,000 miles each for 100,000 miles now. The new MCV version is much improved over the old AMV version Amsoil. I also ran the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil at 6,000 mile intervals, but my LT runs cooler, quieter, and better mpg with the Amsoil. All oil filters are painted. Some don't seem to be, but they are clear coat painted. Have never seen any of them flake. Anyplace you can get Amsoil, you can get the filter, but they might have to order them which takes a couple of days.
post #25 of 27 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 1:50 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

SLOW down there guy...........

First off, I was referring to the FIRST mileage I can use Synth in the motor according to my Service Manager, so I will listen as he is my advocate, and the only one I got with BMW.

I guess I was a little messed up the way you read it.

I will not bite on the 12,000 miles on oil, at all

I change all three, every 3000, me, my option, my wallet.

After that, everyone is left on their own on this one............

Quote:

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #26 of 27 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:09 am

Noise

Quote:
For what it's worth, I was running MOBIL 1 15-50w extended performance synthetic in my '01 LT and decided to try the Amsoil 15-50w synthetic (motorcycle oil) just to see if I could tell any difference.

The difference was instantly noticable, but in a NEGATIVE way. I could hear a LOT more engine noise. Switched back to the Mobil 1 and it stopped. It was amazing. Very noticeable. (Plus the snake oil...er...I mean AMSoil, was a good bit more expensive).
I agree. I thought it was just my imagination. I switched to Amsoil this year and thought that the engine seemed louder.

2012 K1600GT - Red

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #27 of 27 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:34 am

There are varying opinions with regard to oil and change intervals. Do what feels best to you..

My general feeling is to follow the manufacturer's recommendation for oil change intervals. In this case 6K miles is what is recommended whether you use amsoil, mobil one, or dino oil.

With regard to synthetic change, the general concensus around this part of the country (Rocky Mountain Region) is that 18K is when you should be free to convert. I converted at 19K and have had all sorts of seal related problems in the engine and transmission. There are those "in the know" that suspect synthetic as potential contributing factor. Also the "bike sitting without use for a long time" as another contributing factor.

Regardless of all this conjecture, I am currently using Amsoil, have a bunch left, and am not sure what I will do afterward. I may just switch back to dino oil. Not sure yet.

I think all this bantering back and forth is counter productive. I still am not sure of what the benefit is to using synthetic, really....

I was getting castrol for 2.50 per quart, could use it for 6K if I wanted to and then change. The bike ran fine. Can't tell much of a difference with synthetic other then what I think it is doing based on what I have been told. Yep, I spent the money. Yep I felt good about it. That was up until over 2400.00 in maintenance issues with seals and suggestions from various "industry authorities" with decades of experience saying that synthetic could have been a contributing factor. What the heck do I know. I just want to ride the bike and not have to mortgage my home to do so.

Thank you extended warranty.. But, I have less confidence in the bike now that I have experienced these issues.

Put it all in perspective. Oil lubricates. If you want to change every 3K, don't waist your money on expensive stuff. You are wasting your money if you do.

Just that simple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in