Help wanted: ID that connector - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Question Help wanted: ID that connector

OK...slowly but surely getting my bike together after the clutch replacement. Somebody else unplugged this connector, even tagged it with tape, but didn't write anything on the tag.

Is this the coolant temperature sensor connector?

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 1:53 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Hmmmm.

Left side of bike? How far does this stretch? If it reaches behind the radiator area where there is a plug/connector, then that could be the one. It looks like a squeeze spring is on it and that particular connection behind the radiator uses this type of connector.

Otherwise look for anything else that is disconnected. Not sure (haven't been back there in a while now) if this is the same type as the left side power outlet by the shifter.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Gold Supporter

It could be from the temp sensor on the back of the motor. As I remember it is a two pin connector. It is located just above the starter.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:22 pm

That's an "AMP Timer Junior" connector. Used on pressure and temperature sensors, fuel injectors, and the like. Even on the headlight on K12LT (3 terminal).

What's that valve just to the right of the connector? Looks like a pressure sendor on an ABS pump channel. Is that connector capped off?

pg
DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
OK...slowly but surely getting my bike together after the clutch replacement. Somebody else unplugged this connector, even tagged it with tape, but didn't write anything on the tag.

post #5 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:28 pm

I don't remember anything there that this plug could fit. It is right by the ABS unit, and I cannot think of anything there with that type of plug. It won't reach the rear of the transmission, certainly cannot reach anything on the engine.

Hope someone will look around their ABS unit and see if something rings a bell.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:35 pm

Left side of the LT - I can't remember what the O2 sensor connection looks like but it's up in that area somewhere.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Left side of the LT - I can't remember what the O2 sensor connection looks like but it's up in that area somewhere.
The O2 sensor connector is a round one.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik

Hey, Dave - that's what it are. Can't remember if you have a OEM shop manual or the Clymer, butt if the OEM one, it's on page 61.19 "Removing and installing water temperature sensor", with pictures! Just had mine off this morning - the wire lock is a push-in, rather than a pull-out.
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:43 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Dave, it is as Dick said for sure, and 61.19 is clear as as a bell.

I can run my Factory out to you, but it will cost you doing what you did to your Clymer

Just kidding on the cost, but if you call by 5:30 I can have it to you by 6:30.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:55 pm
Just ridin'

Here is the picture.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT61-19.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	14799  

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Randy; Oct 17th, 2007 at 5:04 pm.
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 5:19 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Nice Randy

A picture is worth a .................

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1bmw
It could be from the temp sensor on the back of the motor. As I remember it is a two pin connector. It is located just above the starter.
Bingo! Jim wins the prize!!

The coolant temperature sensor is right behind the ignition coil, easy to see with a flashlight, and, fortunately for me, easy to route the wire back to the connection point with the frame lowered & exhaust on. See bottom for a photo of the mated pair.

Hey, this is fun! Sorta like "Name That Tune!" I have another mystery photo for everyone - I'll post it in a new thread.

Paul - yes, that's the ABS unit.

John - as David indicated, the O2 sensor connector is round - it's the mated connector appearing just above the connector in question.

Dick & Randy - My bike came (used) with a photocopy of a print-out of the FM - the photos are often useless due to copy quality. A former LT owner gave me his CD with the Acrobat file on it, which I was able to research at the office, just before posting this message. I suspected the coolant temperature sensor, but wasn't able to confirm it until I got home last night. Plus, as you can see from the image Randy posted, as well as the photo below from page 34.15, the ABS unit and hydraulic line routing is significantly different between my bike and the photo subject. The connector looked the same, but it's not the only connector of that type on the left side of the bike. Dick, I also have the Clymer's (Lee's comment was about the fact that I had the binding cut off and put each page into a vinyl sheet protector, all of which are in a big 3-ring binder) but the photos are even more ambiguous.

Lee - thanks for the offer, I appreciate all you've done already! I hope to be able to repay your generosity someday.

Here's the other FM image:

And here's the connectors mated (with the wire routed on the outside of the frame just to give a better idea of where it's coming from - obviously I re-routed it after the photo).

Thanks to everyone for helping!

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in