Oil filter wrench - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:55 am Thread Starter

Oil filter wrench

Just finished reading "Oil Change 101" great tutorial. Before I do my first LT oil change, I see I need a different filter wrench. Can anyone name a place where I can buy one of these filter wrenches, and is it a common size? I have a bmw dealer nearby, but would prefer to buy elsewhere if possible.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:03 pm

You can always take your new oil filter with you and go to your local Auto Zone or Kragen, or... and try what they have in store until you find the filter wrench that fits.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #3 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline
Just finished reading "Oil Change 101" great tutorial. Before I do my first LT oil change, I see I need a different filter wrench. Can anyone name a place where I can buy one of these filter wrenches, and is it a common size? I have a bmw dealer nearby, but would prefer to buy elsewhere if possible.
I've read somewhere here about some of the common filter wrenches not being able to fit inside the filter access opening in the oil pan. I got lucky...one of the stamped sheet metal filter wrenches I had in my toolbox fit right on the filter and fit right into the opening. If you take your filter to AutoZone or equivalent and get a cheap, stamped-metal wrench, my guess is that it would work.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
I've read somewhere here about some of the common filter wrenches not being able to fit inside the filter access opening in the oil pan. I got lucky...one of the stamped sheet metal filter wrenches I had in my toolbox fit right on the filter and fit right into the opening. If you take your filter to AutoZone or equivalent and get a cheap, stamped-metal wrench, my guess is that it would work.
+1. I had a filter wrench that "fit" the filter, but not the hole where it resides. Went to auto zone (with filter in hand), and got the thinnest one that they had, and it worked.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
+1. I had a filter wrench that "fit" the filter, but not the hole where it resides. Went to auto zone (with filter in hand), and got the thinnest one that they had, and it worked.
By thinnest one, do you mean thin walled to keep the outside diameter as small as possible? What about the depth of the socket, any idea as to how deep it can or should be?

Since we're here, I'm thinking of switching to synthetic, but wonder if there are enough pluses to warrant the extra expense. Comments?

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #6 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 3:22 pm

Steve:
I run synthetic in my bike, engine - transmission - rear drive, and think it's worth the money. I change my fluids every 6K. There's no warranty, so I use Mobil 1 for the engine. Just bought it at Wally World, $22 for a 5 quart container.

Be careful when you tighten the bolts that hold the oil filter cover in place, they're easy to break/strip.

You need the thinnest wall filter you can find. The stamped ones will probably work. If you need I can bring mine to AZ next week and you can match it up in Autozone. I have the BMW wrench, provided by the previous owner. Let me know.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
Steve:
I run synthetic in my bike, engine - transmission - rear drive, and think it's worth the money. I change my fluids every 6K. There's no warranty, so I use Mobil 1 for the engine. Just bought it at Wally World, $22 for a 5 quart container.

Be careful when you tighten the bolts that hold the oil filter cover in place, they're easy to break/strip.

You need the thinnest wall filter you can find. The stamped ones will probably work. If you need I can bring mine to AZ next week and you can match it up in Autozone. I have the BMW wrench, provided by the previous owner. Let me know.

Ray
Thanks Ray,
No need to bring your filter wrench, the TSA would probably arrest you trying to board the plane with it! Ha! I think I've gathered enough info to get one that will work.

I think I'll go ahead and finally buy a torque wrench too, I figure the money saved changing my own oil will pay for the tools over just a few changes.

My dad always used Mobile 1 in everything, swore by it. So maybe that will be a good choice.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #8 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Some searching found K&N Oil Filter KN163 listed as the one for the LT. It shows and describes a 17mm nut on the end of the filter for easy installation/removal. Anyone had any experience with this filter? Will the nut on the end interfere with the filter cover? My local bmw dealer wants $20 for a filter, so am searching options and found this one for about $15.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #9 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Oil Filter wrench

Autozone has one that fits onto your 3/8" socket wrench. Made out of sheet metal, thin as a peiece of paper. Works perfect. Cheap @ $ .97 but is exactly what the BMW folks don't want you to have. A way around their $200.00 oil change.
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:25 pm

K & N Oil Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline
Some searching found K&N Oil Filter KN163 listed as the one for the LT. It shows and describes a 17mm nut on the end of the filter for easy installation/removal. Anyone had any experience with this filter? Will the nut on the end interfere with the filter cover? My local bmw dealer wants $20 for a filter, so am searching options and found this one for about $15.
I currently have installed this very filter. I can confirm that the nut on end of the filter does not in any way interfere with the sump cover. The K & N oil filter eliminates the need to use an oil filter wrench. Installation of this filter was very easy.

It so happens that the oil filter wrench that fits Harley-Davidson oil filters also happens to fit the BMW oil filter. Any H-D dealer will sell you the wrench if you choose to go this route.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:45 am

I bought and RE-BOUGHT the socket-style filter wrenches from Auto Zone because I made the mistake of not fully checking for fit.

You're gonna' find that there are TWO filter wrenches that will fit the BMW-OEM filter if you choose to go that route sold at Autozone, one that will only grab the last 1/2 inch of the filter but SEEM like it's rock-solid, and a cheaper and "deeper" one that slips all the way on.

Yeah, I bought the first of those two first.

What made it worse is that I discovered this on SUNDAY when the shop I bought it at was closed, my oil was drained, and I was plenty pissed off with no other options but to wait another day.

You will NOT be able to remove or install the LT's filter with a conventional filter wrench (the kind that is adjustable), you have to have one of the ones that looks like a giant socket. Get a thin-wall one, and yeah, I think the one I got that fit was under two bucks...in comparison to the BMW-branded one which was at least $32.

I like the K&N filters, both for the welded "nut" on the top for install and removal, and for the purported better filtering. But I change my filter at 3,000 miles or fewer, so I don't know that I'd buy one if it cost more than a brand-name, high-quality filter and o-ring (the bmw OEM requires purchase of a separate o-ring, the K&N, I believe, does not--another bonus).

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:14 pm

I bought the oil filter wrench from a BMW dealer for $20.00. It is well worth the money to have the proper tools for any job. And putting in synthetic oil. These are all good things to help make the ride last. And the amount you save by doing things yourself more than offsets the cost many times over.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in