High speed on the LT..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:33 am Thread Starter

High speed on the LT.....

This past weekend was beautiful here and I took a short 200 mile round trip on some nice country back roads.

On a long straight mild downhill spot that was desserted and didnt have any driveways or roads entering it....I was able to hold the LT wide open for a bit . I hit an indicated 130 mph . It was really strange on such a large upright bike , but she was stable and pretty smooth despite pretty gusty wind conditions.

As the day wore on it got very windy . On one stretch heading home I was cruising around indicated 95 mph and she was buffeting around a bit but again, she did suprisingly well for such a battleship.

Man the handling of these bikes on the move really is good. It just doesnt feel like an 850+ lb motorcyle at all unless you are at parking lot speeds.

Given BMW's direction currently with every new model being impressively lighter and more powerful than previous ones , I cant wait to see what is in the cards for the next gen LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:23 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shriker
This past weekend was beautiful here and I took a short 200 mile round trip on some nice country back roads.

On a long straight mild downhill spot that was desserted and didnt have any driveways or roads entering it....I was able to hold the LT wide open for a bit . I hit an indicated 130 mph

If that was indicated by the speedo, you weren't going more than 120. Of course that is pretty fast

I believe the fasted reported speed on a pre 05 LT is about 125 indicated by GPS...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 1:32 pm

I can GPS confirm 128mph on a 2005 LT. It really is incredible that such a heavy bike can handle speed so well.

Now don't bash me for this one...

I love the fact that I can run down sportbikes (750GSXR last week) in the sweepers and on the straits. The look they give me is priceless. But I just can't see me dragging knees on the LT. Has anyone ever taken their LT on a true track day?

2005 LT- Dream Girl
2003 Honda Shadow

post #4 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 1:48 pm

high speed

this past week ride in nothern georgia and North Carolina 2006 Lt one up speed on GPS was 130.
post #5 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

I am guessing my actual was ~120ish given speedo error etc......she was still mildly accelerating , not too much left though.....
post #6 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:13 pm

I got a shock when resetting the gps after returning from our recent trip to Arkansas. The wife and I had just been riding and enjoying the wonderful roads and never would have guessed that at sometime during one of our rides we hit 116 mph! The LT is so smoothe at speed that we never noticed. This is also the only scooter we've owned that I don't catch flack for when riding the interstates. Sweet!

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTBrown
Has anyone ever taken their LT on a true track day?
Have a look through the Australian section of the forum. One of the blokes down here took his machine for a punt around Eastern Creek raceway outside of Sydney, I think this was about 2 years ago.

Ride safe all

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #8 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:16 pm

Shouldn't of been goofing off like this but on the return trip down I-35 from OKC yesterday the Garmin street pilot said I hit 124. That's 2-up, fully loaded and an extra bag on the rack. Incredible! Felt like we were going 85. Smooth and solid as a rock. Except for a sharp blow to the back of my helmet from the co-pilot there was nothing unusual feeling at that speed. Dang it's fun to act childish every now and then.
post #9 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:47 pm

During September I was two up on my FJR in Montana when I came across a silver LT two up running down I90. They were doing a brisk high 80's when we blew by them..but they kept up into the low hundreds. Got to love Montana! I was surprised at both the rider and the bike keeping pace. I think I finally wore them out but I give them credit. I think that evening I decided to buy a LT. I know they were more comfortable than we were...

As far a running down jixxer and such..its the rider not the bike. The LT is still 800 pounds of 100hp bike. Its a dog compared to my FJR and an Fjr is a dog compared to any rocket.
post #10 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 5:00 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Went to see my dad in Pittsburgh from Harrisburg, 222 miles, 3 hours and 1 min, 75 mph average, 118 top speed, GPS logged of course.

I have had it buried with no GPS on so have no idea.

I do notice a lot of fluctuation on the speedo to GPS. But at times, and depending on throttle position, it is also dead nuts on.

I have a play bridge going home from work and I do 100+ every day on it.

Just a great speed bike. I do love high speed on it and it really is what made me more conscious of wearing more gear. I go everywhere faster then I used to on the Road Glide.

Just the Nature of one machine to another.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 5:25 pm

with all this speed, who or how many use radar detectors and what kind ??

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #12 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
Who needs those, I use my cruise control to keep from getting tickets. And that is my official answer.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #13 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 9:45 pm

The 05's and later speedo's are much better, mine is off by 3 to 4mph most of the time. This last trip I was on a rode that just begged for a speed run so I wound it up and got 127 on the 2820, the speedo looked closer to 135 but i didn't look that hard just a glance. 4th gear at redline is almost as fast as what it will pull in 5th. It is very smooth at that speed.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #14 of 35 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:00 pm

speed

I have not really pushed it around here. Lots of nice roads but I am concerned about deer. I've had it at 105 or so a few times, but not above that

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #15 of 35 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:25 am

Quote:
I sustained 124mph on my '02 LT for several miles. That's was "it". No more go. My GT has seen 157mph once. Over 150 many many times. (These speeds are all GPS corrected, of course.)

Valentine One is THE ONLY radar detector to buy. Period!
post #16 of 35 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:45 am

Joe you better call Valentine and tell him you want a cut of all the V1's you have got people to buy.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #17 of 35 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
Joe you better call Valentine and tell him you want a cut of all the V1's you have got people to buy.
Yea...I should. Then again, I'm just trying to help even out the fight. It's "us" against "them".
post #18 of 35 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:34 am

Somewhat loaded and GPS comfirmed 126. It didn't feel like it had much left........I didn't want to risk it too long so I pull her back to 80 something.
post #19 of 35 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTBrown
Has anyone ever taken their LT on a true track day?
Oh, maybe.

post #20 of 35 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Oh, maybe.

Come on. I want to see that knee on the pavement. I do like the evil eye peeking thru the tape...

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #21 of 35 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
Come on. I want to see that knee on the pavement...
Do you actually think dragging a knee is going to have that much effect with the 850-pound piggy? You want to watch someone drag a knee with an LT, ride with John Bowles sometime. Although, I did watch him push past the limit of the LT last time we rode. It's wasn't purty. Fortunately, he had the where-with-all to get himself out of it.
post #22 of 35 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 6:38 pm

Garage
I don't know how fast my LT goes we are only allowed to travel at 100kph here in OZ thats about 60m/p/h

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #23 of 35 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ed
the Garmin street pilot said I hit 124.
Except for a sharp blow to the back of my helmet from the co-pilot .
If I went that fast with the co-pilot I would either have a head ache, sore ribs or maybe both.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #24 of 35 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 7:47 am
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by big dog
One of the blokes down here took his machine for a punt around Eastern Creek raceway outside of Sydney, I think this was about 2 years ago.
Like this, still got the grin...

... and earlier this year, another straight stretch:

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #25 of 35 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 7:25 pm

Have had mine to 126 (as per the Garmin), solo and had throttle left.

Rode across a large part of South Dakota packing double at 120. The cows go by realy fast at that speed. Gas mileage drops down into the high 20's too.

B D R
post #26 of 35 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 10:44 am

I get those same sharp blows to the back of my head too. Can't fiqure out what it is.
post #27 of 35 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 11:52 pm
Gold Supporter

I had an iteresting experiance at high speeds the speedo and bike surged faster I backed off my 03k1200lt, If i told you my recorded GPS speed and my speedometer indication you would not believe me...matthew
post #28 of 35 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:12 am

managed to hit 132 (speedo reading) coming down the hill coming off of Yarnell this weekend.....it was still climbing when I had to get out of it.

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #29 of 35 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:13 am

Post it - I'd like to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcrave
I had an iteresting experiance at high speeds the speedo and bike surged faster I backed off my 03k1200lt, If i told you my recorded GPS speed and my speedometer indication you would not believe me...matthew

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #30 of 35 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:29 am

I was there with TBob this weekend. We had a great 425 mile+ ride around AZ. From the desert to the mountain passes. I was two up all day and just loved the back and shoulder rubs from my wife. We got up to 90ish but I don't like to go too fast with her on the back, just too much to lose.
I think all of you speeders should remember that someone at home may love you and you shouldn't take life so easy, you may not come back.
Now I;ve been over 115 before on another bike, (care not to mention what kind) but I wasn't married at the time.
post #31 of 35 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:15 am

News flash, you can get just as dead at "90ish"
post #32 of 35 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Understandable , Woody- and good point.

We all take calculated risks every day in the way we live. The trick is to minimize the risk as much as possible by in this case , being sure your bike is in good shape (especially tires , I have almost new Avon Storms), your location choice is good (mine was - good long range vision, little to no traffic, little chance of vehicles people animals entering roadway unseen etc), your skill level is up to it (I have ridden all types of bikes for 30 years), and you are wearing all the right protective gear (ALWAYS minimum -boots gloves longpants helmet, usually add Jacket and sometimes add riding pants) in case something goes awry. By doing these things we only minimize the risk....but we all know with motorcylcing , as with many other entaining things , there is risk involved. Its smart to be safe and every individual needs to make a decision about what level of risk they are willing to take.

Cant stop living life though......be smart , be safe , make the best choices you can and enjoy every day.....
post #33 of 35 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:48 am

Yeah I've been riding for a long time also, and I've been hurt and in the hospital twice with bike crashes. Luckily they were both slow moving accidents. I learned then (1984) that it doesn't take much to get seriously hurt quickly on a M/C.
You are right though, good clothing will help. I recall a statement the instructor made in the M/C Safety Class, jeans only last 8 feet and leather lasts 44 feet when being dragged across the asphault, which would you prefer, "Leather".

Cant stop living life though......be smart , be safe , make the best choices you can and enjoy every day..... Can't agree enough with this statement, that's why we're both still here man.
post #34 of 35 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 1:54 pm

Head whapper

I had those same head whoppers,Now I put the cup in the cupholder and Co-Pilot cannot see speedo..
Which might get up to 80 when the Missus is on board.
Solo top speed once was 115 on speedo. Plenty fast enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitstop
I get those same sharp blows to the back of my head too. Can't fiqure out what it is.

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #35 of 35 Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 3:02 pm

Quote:
I use the Valentine One because it alerts me to the safety radar used at many road construction sites. Not sure what else it is good for, but those working on our motorways deserve the best protection available.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in