NGK iridium spark plugs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Question NGK iridium spark plugs

Can someone tell me what is the NGK Iridium plug for the 2005 LT is? I look all over the net and can't find it they (NGK) list only till 2004 and we know there was a change in 05.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 4:04 pm

FWIW, I tried these plugs and did not like them. I put maybe 750 miles on a set and took them off and put BMW OEM plugs back in.

If you want an improvement (my opinion only), try the Split Fire plugs that David Shealey suggested long ago. I finally tried a set and have been impressed. You can find them online.

Not sure about your comment about the spark plug part change.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Iridium plugs

I put the Iridium plugs in my '03. It's part number DCPR7EIX. They cost me $32. It runs fine with them but it also ran fine with the old stock plugs as well...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 9:49 pm

NGK plugs

I recently installed the NGK plugs as an alternative too the BMW dealer overpriced items. I also replaced the air filter at the same time with a K & N unit. The reason for both is elimination of problems and maintanence. I want to ride and the air filter is a royal problem every few thousand miles.

Installation of plugs were no problem once plastic was removed, the bike started and runs fine. I pulled the plugs once after putting 500 miles on the bike, no signs of problems, overheating or cold running. I then proceeded to ride from NM to Oregon knocking out about 600+ miles a day. Fuel mileage in the mid to upper 40's which is about the same as before. I'd recommend them as an alternate, check with the NAPA folks they will special order the things and you don't have to pay shipping.

Now, if I can just fix the damn clutch slave cylinder leak. I'm thinking of drilling the hole so I can see next time it fails.
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:04 pm

+1 on the splitfires, just make sure you get the triple platinum ones (there are two kinds, the more expensive ones--which are the same price per plug as the standard BMW plugs--are the ones you want, they have a 60,000 mile lifetime, and are usually special order).

sparkplugs.com

you'll have them in about three days

you'll need a socket to fit 'em, I bought a deep-well socket from autozone and just pulled the rubber protective gasket from a cheap-ass spark plug socket of another size and put it in there...saved $8, and it worked just fine...take one of the plugs with you when you go shoppin.

I noticed a big difference in throttle response when I switched (I have an '04).

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in