Intermittent Headlights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

Intermittent Headlights

I have had a 2004 LT for a few months now and by searching thru all your threads have managed to solve most every problem that has come up. There is probably an easy fix for this problem, I just canít find it.

My high and low beam headlights are intermittent together. Because they are intermittent we know the bulbs are good. The high beam indicator light stays on no matter the switch position. All blinkers, dash lights, parking light, etc, are working. I have read the posts but can find nothing relating to just the driving lights. I am thinking ground wire is the most likely cause.

My question is, is there a ground or disconnect that could be loose that I can get to without pulling all the tupperware off. I have searched Clymer and the 2004 manual on CD but canít find anything that shows the connections.

Any ideas on this problem would be appreciated.

Regards,

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:45 pm

Pull the cover off the rear headlight access, and wiggle the plugs, make sure they are connected fully. This happened to mine, found a loose connector, plugged the sucker in properly and all is fine.

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 1:29 pm

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 2:37 pm

There is a ground connector inside the headlight where both bulbs are grounded. Fairly often these develop a looseness or a little corrosion and start to heat up, until the connection becomes totally unreliable. Check that. Hard to see with just the cover off though. It is near the top front of the assembly.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input. It turned out to be a loose connection on one of the lights or maybe a little corrosion on the ground. I will check it a little better when I pull all the tupperware off for the 24K checkup.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:47 pm

Yes, this was exacly what happened to my head lights a few weeks ago. The ground connection developed corrosion!!! It is located just under the head light kinda tight spot for sticking fingers there :-)

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 7:34 am

Can anyone explain how the headlight ground causes the high beam indicator to stay lit regardless of high beam switch position?

It looks to me that the indicator gets power from the multiswitch at the same time as the high beam but uses a different ground, regardless, doesn't make sense to me.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Elementary Mr. Watson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Can anyone explain how the headlight ground causes the high beam indicator to stay lit regardless of high beam switch position?

It looks to me that the indicator gets power from the multiswitch at the same time as the high beam but uses a different ground, regardless, doesn't make sense to me.

High and low beam share a ground connection bus (same wire). If the ground opens, (the one in the headlight) the current flow is through the low beam filament to the ground bus (which is now isolated and no longer a ground potential) through the high beam filament (from the ground bus) and back feeds the high beam wire from the switch. The high beam indicator is connected to that wire and has its own ground and therefore glows .

Clear as mud, huh.

HTH

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 7:01 pm

Yes, very good. I couldn't pick that up. Thanks.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in