K1200LT comfort for tall riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 9:26 am Thread Starter

K1200LT comfort for tall riders

This is my first post. Have been thinking about purchasing of a 2003-2005 K1200 LT and stumbled upon the forum while researching. Have owned many different bikes over the years (including an R-series BMW awhile back), and for the last 7 years have been riding an HD Road King which I am very happy with. But by gosh I love a BMW too and have reached a point where I think I can now add another bike to the stable without putting the wife-o-meter solidly in the red zone.

Have been admiring the K1200LT from afar for over 5 years now, and finally test road a used í03 at the dealer yesterday. Iím 6í4Ē w/35í inseam, so the bike height with feet on ground was no problem. On the test ride, it handled well Ö good power train, shifting, handling, overall smoothness, etc. So far so good BUT Ö one nagging concern. I felt like I had been spring-loaded onto the bike Ö feet behind knees, knees tensed, no other foot positions or contortions available to relieve butt pressure. Iím a long distance rider and like to get on and go Ö and not have to be worried if my butt screaming at me to get off every 2 hours to give it a break. On arriving back at dealer, I tried a K1200LT with Jpegs installed Ö felt like it was just elevating my knees towards my ears. I loved this bike but sadly I do not think I could sit on it for a long ride. Any other tall riders out there with some good advice on comfort, modifications, and the K1200LT Ö was wondering if there is a way to make this bike work for me.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:23 am

K1200 comfort

I went from a electraglide classic to a 2005 LT. It felt like my legs were being strecthed backwards. Here is what I did. I put on an Air Hawk seat for butt comfort and installed Mick-O-Pegs for the legs. Ride all day and no discomfort.
J-Pegs did not work for me. Good Luck
post #3 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:36 am

The mick o pegs would be a must (best pegs available for the LT in my opinion). You might also consider a taller seat (also a must if you're distance riding). I don't think the footpeg lowering kit would help much...it didn't me...an inch or so both down out is about what it gives. Other than that, I don't know much that's available. There are a number of tall riders out here that have the LT and like it. It would take some getting used to probably. I'm not going to "sell" you on the bike if it doesn't fit you. There are other good bikes out there that will. Stay tuned and do a search on this forum for info on the topic also. Good luck!!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:44 am

Iím 6í6Ē with a 35Ē inseam and have been riding the LT for 4 years now. Iíve been riding for 30+ years and the LT is the best, bike Iíve owned by far.

Everyone has different ideas/needs about comfort. The LT does have a different riding position that takes a bit of time to get used to. When I first got the bike, I was thinking how could I change the handlebar position, the foot peg location, seat height etc, etc, but in the end I didnít need to. I tried the high position on the seat but found it made me slide forward too much, and after a bit of time I just got used to the new riding position. I did spring for a custom seat that gave me a little more legroom and a much more comfortable ride. I also installed J-pegs, regular at first as the hadnít come out with the XLís, and they helped. I swapped the regular out for the XLís and they provide a much better position to stretch. There are a couple of other brands out there with different leg positions, so you should be able to find something to your liking. Some people get the peg lowering kit, but I didnít want to give up cornering clearance.

So, with some tweaking and just letting your body get used to the new position, you should be able to ride comfortably into the sunset. I had never thought of doing an Iron Butt ride before getting the LT and now Iíve done several.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:25 am
Gold Supporter

I'm 6-04 with a 36 inseam. I put on a custom seat that gave me a little better position and a heck of a lot more distance than the stock seat, added the peg lowering kit, XL Jpegs, and Mick-O-Pegs. Now I can ride with my feet in about any position I want and change as needed. Lots of differences between the 03 and 05 you might want to consider in your purchase though.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #6 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:49 am

I too am 6'4", 36" inseam, and bought a 2000LT in July after years on a wing. I like the LT postion just fine. Looked at the XL Jpegs. laughed at my dealers price and am casually searching for a used set. I'd like to try the mickopegs first. In sept did a ride with several 400-500 mile days strung together, no alternate leg positions and had no real discomfort. Longer days may have me shopping more urgently, but I think the bike is very comfortable as is. Let us know what you decide. Cheers!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #7 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 2:43 pm

6'5" w/ 35" inseam.. I tried the seat in upper position, but it just pushed me forward.. Not good. I added a Beadrider, XL J-Pegs, and the lower & forward floorboards. My previous ride was a Honda VTX1800R with forward controls & highway pegs. I've actually adjusted to the "feet under me" position of the LT. The lower running boards help. (but I do scrape them pretty hard on occasions.)
Sitting up straight makes cornering so much more fun, and less "suspenseful" that I do not miss the "laid back" cruiser style ride.
For a long trip (3,500 mi over Labor Day week) I had the back seat loaded with tent & fishing gear. 800 mi days were no problem. I felt better at the end of a long day on the LT than I ever did on my VTX.
With the seat in the low position and the pegs in the original position I had some serious knee pain after a 200 mi trip. I had to make the changes.
Now, no problem..
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #8 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 2:54 pm

Another option is Highway Ottomans.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #9 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 3:56 pm

I agree with the MOPs, and can't comment on the ottoman option. However, after a season of riding my LT with floorboards all around, neither my wife or I could imagine one without them... they offer a huge range of foot placement options.
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Garage
Talking one tall guy link fest coming up!

compared to you, I'm a shorty: 6'1" but with a 36" inseam:

I extended the pegs with the Suburban Machinery peg extentions. They work just fine, but if I were to do it again, I'd go for the floorboards from dodk64

Also, a backrest is a must. Either a BackUp Backrest or a new saddle with one built in.

Speaking of saddles, there is endless debate over which one to get (final story, get the one that works the best for you), but you can chose from:
Corbin
or Russell (especially if you're 240lbs+)
or Rick Mayer (who seems to have forgotten to pay his hosting bill)
or KonTour Seats

Also, you'll probably want some sort of highway peg like the others have mentioned. I'll just re-add the links to make it a one-stop tall guy post:
Mick-O-Pegs or J-Pegs XL or Highway Ottomans

Lastly, you probably have large hands. I found the grips to be a bit small on the LT. Grip Puppies cured that.

On a side note, I got most of my stuff through RaffyK's website since he is an LT rider, an active member of this board and a supporting member of this board.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 6:46 pm

I'm 6' tall with a 34" inseam. The first few long rides on my LT were almost unbearable. My knees would get so stiff that I was actually considering selling the bike. I added the peg lowering kit that sets the pegs 1 1/2" lower and 1" further forward, they helped immensely. A couple of weeks ago a friend let me try his bakup backrest on my bike, now I'm saving my pennies for one over the winter. Between the backrest and the lowered pegs I was completely comfortable for a 480 mile ride, only having to stop long enough to get gas. I'm running the stock seat in the lowered position.
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:18 pm

tall rider's comfort

I have 36 inch inseam and am 6'6". I have a Bak-up back rest, XL JPegs, Grip puppies and an AirHawk and find the bike is comfortable both for short and long rides. On two other bikes I was not nearly so comfortable so my comfort seems to be attributable to a combination of the items but also I think it is due to the fact I am relaxed listening to music when I ride.
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:36 am

I am just under 6'3" but I have a 37"inseam. That's right, I got long legs. I came from the HD Ultra with the feet out in front of me position. When I first sat on the LT, it felt kinda weird but I liked it. Now I could not sit on another HD again.
I have the XL J-pegs and Bac-up backrest. I move my seat from the high to low and back pretty often. The high spot feels better on the knees but the whole body works better in the low slot.
I have done a few long days and I really like the way the LT sits. Sure, when I stop I have to stretch my legs and calves out but what helps is when I pump gas, I put my toes on the curb and rest my heels on the ground. Good stretch. After that, I'm good for another 200-250 miles.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:08 pm

Here is my two cents:

I am 6'-10" and ride an LT and a R 1150 GS Adventure. Being this tall, I have always had to modify my machines. Custom seats are the best place to begin. The custom saddle guys will do wonders for getting the best height and leg angle for your bike. Once that is established, you may need to go to an aftermarket windshield/system.

The third thing you can address is to possibly go with footpeg relocators. I have not had to do this. XL J-Pegs and a backrest work wonders, espcially if used together. While in the J-Pegs it is nice to have a backrest to counter the pressure from having your legs elevated.

My GSA is a little more comfortable for my legs, but the LT has the radio, cruise and e/windshield. I am just happy/lucky that I can choose which bike I want to ride on any given day.

Give your LT a chance and safe riding.
post #15 of 16 Old May 2nd, 2008, 8:52 pm

Re: K1200LT comfort for tall riders

JWIMBERLY

I own a 2005 K1200LT. My inseam is 37" and I have been told the MOP K12N will not work for long inseam riders because their knees will hit the fairing crash bars. How do your long legs do it?

BMW MOA Member #144729
My Prevoius bikes:
post #16 of 16 Old May 20th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Re: K1200LT comfort for tall riders

I am 6' 6" with a 35" inseam. The only thing I have done to date is the Subrban peg lowering kit and I find it works well for me, The ride position seems more comfortable with my feet under me. I don't find a need to move around like I did on the Ultra Classic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in