Brake and Warning lights flashing ..sometimes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Brake and Warning lights flashing ..sometimes

About a week ago, the brake and warning flashers starting randomly coming on ( alternating, about 1/sec ) in flight. After turning the ignition off then back on at a stop, it usually stops. I don't think the fluids have been serviced in about 6k miles. It seems to only happen in the morning or when the bike is first running. It never comes on during the start but rather after the bike has been riding a while after a few brake applications. I read the HOW, which suggestd both lights on indicated a trip to the dealer. Any other suggestions, before I take this expensive route..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:05 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthrottle
About a week ago, the brake and warning flashers starting randomly coming on ( alternating, about 1/sec ) in flight. After turning the ignition off then back on at a stop, it usually stops. I don't think the fluids have been serviced in about 6k miles. It seems to only happen in the morning or when the bike is first running. It never comes on during the start but rather after the bike has been riding a while after a few brake applications. I read the HOW, which suggestd both lights on indicated a trip to the dealer. Any other suggestions, before I take this expensive route..
This is usually caused by low fluid in the rear brake master cylinder resevoir.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:50 am

Yep...most likely low fluid in reservoir(s). If the fluid is near minimum and you make some turns the sensor trips saying you're low. Yes, check both reservoirs...there're two attached together under the seat (rear seat on my '03). You may need to loosen the tupperware to access the one furthest to the front...no need to remove the tupperware tho, just three or four torx screws removed will suffice for providing access to remove the reservoir caps. A syringe or marinade injector (my favorite) works very well for getting the fluid into the reservoirs.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:20 am

It usually happens to me when the weather starts to cool off. The reservoir will look like it is full but needs to be filled up to the maximum line.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #5 of 8 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 4:35 pm

You might want to check your pads also. The brake fluid can be low from excessive brake pad wear.
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 9:00 pm

I had that problem last year about this time. The first cool night and they started blinking.

I added a couple spoonfulls of brake fluid to the rear reservoir and it stopped and has never come back.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 8:03 am

I had the same thing happen and the fix was to replace the pads. How many miles do you have on the brakes?
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Yep...most likely low fluid in reservoir(s). If the fluid is near minimum and you make some turns the sensor trips saying you're low. Yes, check both reservoirs...there're two attached together under the seat (rear seat on my '03). You may need to loosen the tupperware to access the one furthest to the front...no need to remove the tupperware tho, just three or four torx screws removed will suffice for providing access to remove the reservoir caps. A syringe or marinade injector (my favorite) works very well for getting the fluid into the reservoirs.
Just try to remember not to use that marinade injector on the Thanksgiving bird later..... :-)

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in