Reversing light & handbrake - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Question Reversing light & handbrake

I have done some trawling as best i can of the archive and forum - but came up with nothing useful - so thought i'd pick the collective brains of you all.

Firstly - a handbrake .... my previous bike was a Honda ST1100 ... traded in px for my 01 LT ... the Honda had a "Middleton" hand brake http://www.st1100.org/farkles/handbrake.html - a device that could be flicked into the gap created by the application of the front brake lever which effectively locked the lever in the braked position. A quick pull of the lever released the brake (on a spring). This was great for holding the bike on the brake without having to use the right foot ... especially when stopping on an incline say at a junction or such. I'd love to be able to do the same on the LT somehow - but I have no 'engineering' skills .... and wondered if anybody has such a device or knows of where to find it?

Secondly, reverse lights - I've added fog lamps to the front of the bike - It's easy enough to add fog lamps to the rear .... but has anybody knowledge as how to add reversing lights that come on automatically with the selection of 'reverse'?? ....

Regards

Mick
Suffolk / UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrichardson

Secondly, reverse lights - I've added fog lamps to the front of the bike - It's easy enough to add fog lamps to the rear .... but has anybody knowledge as how to add reversing lights that come on automatically with the selection of 'reverse'?? ....
How about a reed switch and magnet mounted by the reverse lever? Feed a relay from it and the job is done.

Should you be cleverer than me, you could organise a sensor that will see which way the wheel is rotated.

Just pussin' through.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 10:13 pm

Did read once here 'bouts some fella put a backup alarm on his LT.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! when in reverse.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 10:29 pm

Just for laughs I have hooked up a backup alarm along with some bright LEDs for reverse lamps. Both have gotten quite a bit of attention at different times. Used a very small hose clamp around reverse rod too create a cam to actuate a micro switch normally found on electric forklifts. Seems to be very water resistant. Have forded a few creeks without any problems. Wired the switch to a relay that is supplied by a fused circuit. Backup alarm is from a industrial electric cart. Again I have gotten more laughs than I can count. Does it serve a real purpose I think not. Existing tail lights are more than adequate to avoid backing into something at night and as far as the alarm goes all my riding buddies are deaf from to many years of riding without earplugs....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:25 am

Here you have some pictures of a limit switch installed in the reverese lever. This switch actuates a relay that feeds my reverse alarm, gives power to the distance detectors and feeds my future reversing lights. So far I have not found proper ones that would fit in nicely, I have the wiring ready and waiting behind the rear panel though. Perhaps I will start looking at some led application...

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...RSINGDETECTORS

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #6 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Here you have some pictures of a limit switch installed in the reverese lever. This switch actuates a relay that feeds my reverse alarm, gives power to the distance detectors and feeds my future reversing lights. So far I have not found proper ones that would fit in nicely, I have the wiring ready and waiting behind the rear panel though. Perhaps I will start looking at some led application...

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...RSINGDETECTORS

Regards
Nice farkle Ari, but you have TOO much time on your hands.....

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #7 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:56 am

Many snowmobiles come standard with a device similar to (but not nearly as ugly as) the lever in your link. It's built right into the lever, a smaller plastic 'lever' that fills the gap. One finger application, releases automatically when you pull the brake lever again. Would be handy on the LT I'm sure. You got me thinking... so I went out to the garage and found a small wedge shaped piece of rubber, pulled the brake, and jammed it in the gap. Worked great. The problem now is how to keep it handy, like on a string or something, without looking too 'ghetto'.

I dropped the LT the other day on a sloped sidewalk. Left side. If I had thought of this then I could have locked the front brake and saved the tipover wings from some scratches. As I picked the beast up it wanted to 'pivot' a little with the wheels rolling. The shift lever was buried so getting it in gear wasn't possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrichardson
I have done some trawling as best i can of the archive and forum - but came up with nothing useful - so thought i'd pick the collective brains of you all.

Firstly - a handbrake .... my previous bike was a Honda ST1100 ... traded in px for my 01 LT ... the Honda had a "Middleton" hand brake http://www.st1100.org/farkles/handbrake.html - a device that could be flicked into the gap created by the application of the front brake lever which effectively locked the lever in the braked position. A quick pull of the lever released the brake (on a spring). This was great for holding the bike on the brake without having to use the right foot ... especially when stopping on an incline say at a junction or such. I'd love to be able to do the same on the LT somehow - but I have no 'engineering' skills .... and wondered if anybody has such a device or knows of where to find it?

Regards

Mick
Suffolk / UK

Rick
'01 LT
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Nice farkle Ari, but you have TOO much time on your hands.....

Garry
Thanks Garry, I sure hope that would still be the case but unfortunately not...I have soooo many little farkle thingies in storage but looks like this will be the second winter in row that I barely get the oil changed and that's about all the farkleing I have time to do.
Now who ever invented the thing called "work"....

regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #9 of 9 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

Hi Rick

Not recalling any gap such as described, I went out and had another look at my levers. I don't have that gap .. the lever is partially housed and covered -but looking at the set up - the hole that would be suitable for handlebar mounted mirrors may be in the right place to support a device that would somehow drop forward over a compressed brake lever .... sort of securing the lever in the braked position. Assuming it were spring loaded a small further compression of the lever would release the 'clamp'.

My big issue is that I have no ability to work something up - I have no garage facilities sadly and nowhere to work any materials that I might otherwise be able to play with to try and make something work that didn't come from the kids Mechano set...... hence trying to pick the forums collective brains.

The device on the ST1100 whilst pig ugly to look at, once it was on the bike, it looked as if it ought to have been OEM - and it worked brilliantly.

Thanks folks for the feedback re the reversing lights .... from what I have seen, it looks to be a bit too complicated to make it worthwhile -may just resort to a switched white light to the rear if I ever get around to doing it.

Best regards

Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-L
Many snowmobiles come standard with a device similar to (but not nearly as ugly as) the lever in your link. It's built right into the lever, a smaller plastic 'lever' that fills the gap. One finger application, releases automatically when you pull the brake lever again. Would be handy on the LT I'm sure. You got me thinking... so I went out to the garage and found a small wedge shaped piece of rubber, pulled the brake, and jammed it in the gap. Worked great. The problem now is how to keep it handy, like on a string or something, without looking too 'ghetto'.

I dropped the LT the other day on a sloped sidewalk. Left side. If I had thought of this then I could have locked the front brake and saved the tipover wings from some scratches. As I picked the beast up it wanted to 'pivot' a little with the wheels rolling. The shift lever was buried so getting it in gear wasn't possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in