Motorcycle Lifts - anyone use one? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:50 am Thread Starter

Motorcycle Lifts - anyone use one?

Winter is approaching here in New England all too quickly (we've already had to shovel the driveway). So, it's getting time to start thinking about doing all the projects on the bike I've been planning, like installing the intercom system, PIAA lights, as well as performing the routine servicing.

Tools and skills aren't a problem - I've been a professional auto tech for years, and am now an instructor/regional troubleshooter for an import manufacturer. Years of turning wrenches have taught my body a few things, too. It no longer likes to crouch down, or lay on cold concrete floors anymore without severe repercussions.

I have one of the "jack type" motorcycle lifts. It worked fine for my old cruiser, but it just won't handle the LT. I've been looking at one of these:

http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-MC/603-038

Has anyone had the opportunity to use something like this? I was concerned over the stability of the LT being supported upright by the front tire clamping device. If it allowed just a bit too much lean, I couldn't imagine the damage an 850 pound bike would cause falling over from three feet up. Ideally, the lift would be lag-bolted into the garage floor, but that just isn't practical in my situation.

If anyone has something else they have used with success, please let me know!

(BTW, temps this week will be approaching 60 - with rain. Thursday should be dry and cooler - there is still time to take the bike to work!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:00 am
Senior Member (ret.)

If that's not a Handy SAM 1000, then it is a real good copy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:37 am

I've never used one myself, but a couple of friends of mine built one from plans that's similar to the one shown. They've used it to lift Harley Road Kings with no problems. Shouldn't think the LT will give any either. If your concerned with the bike tipping over while up on the stand you could always use a pair of tie-downs hooked to eyebolts on the side of the table.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
If that's not a Handy SAM 1000, then it is a real good copy.
Wow, I guess it is! I'll bet the accessories from the Handy lift will work quite nicely.

I also found a BikeWorld review of the Handy lift, where they used it for the K1200LT.

I think I've found the "thing" I can hint about the next time my lovely wife (Telle) asks me what I want for the holiday!
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:29 pm
Prodigal Son

Handi is a great lift. have used them several times.
i ended up getting the Direct-Lift Pro XLT (with all the options) on sale and got to pick it up (local) either will do .
http://www.directlift.com/direct_pro_cycle.htm

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
Has anyone had the opportunity to use something like this? I was concerned over the stability of the LT being supported upright by the front tire clamping device. If it allowed just a bit too much lean, I couldn't imagine the damage an 850 pound bike would cause falling over from three feet up. Ideally, the lift would be lag-bolted into the garage floor, but that just isn't practical in my situation.
I have a Handy lift, but I would not trust the wheel clamp alone. I generally leave her on the center stand, and put a tie strap from the front wheel to the stand. If you need the center stand to be up I suppose you could use some tie straps off the lift handle to stabilize.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #7 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 1:01 pm

Wink Hft

Harbor Freight tools has one on sale for 299.00 I'm thinking about.
Looks OK

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 1:01 pm
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
I have a Handy lift, but I would not trust the wheel clamp alone. I generally leave her on the center stand, and put a tie strap from the front wheel to the stand. If you need the center stand to be up I suppose you could use some tie straps off the lift handle to stabilize.
Ditto, then use a strap lift or a jack to elevate the rear in order to "gut" the drive train and center stand if needed.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #9 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 3:07 pm

lift

i am selling a grazia motorcycle lift for $425.00. it works very well but is older and strickly hydraulic. no compressor needed. this lift is one that many dealers prefer to the air ones. it would need picked up in pa. i could possibly email pictures if you have any interest. don
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
Harbor Freight tools has one on sale for 299.00 I'm thinking about.
Looks OK

Spence
I looked at Harbor Freights and would be more than a little leary of putting an LT on it. I would not raise it more than a foot due to the lightweight materials used. I have also read posts from another bike site that talks about stability and broken welds.

I like HF but this is one item I would not buy. Just my 2 cents.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #11 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Thumbs up

I would suggest the Handy Lift with the electric motor, when using the e-lift you have infinite control of height. The air lifts are good but to erratic with such a heavy machine not smooth. Also get the attachments for increasing the width and length.

Pete aka murray
post #12 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 6:18 pm

I have the same lift that Harbor Freight is selling, but I got it from another source. Mine has a compressor driven lifting mechanism. It's not quite a Handy Lift, but for the home repair vs. shop use it's fine. It's stable, comes with a good wheel clamp, and holds the bike without any scary moments. The only issue is the flexing of the deck because it's not quite as heavy as the Handy Lift, but that's really a nit. Long term durability is probably better with the Handy. If money were no object I'd get that Handy Lift. Otherwise, the one from Harbor Freight is quite adequate.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 9:27 pm

Looks exactly like the one my mechanic uses with my LT. I don't think they bolt it down in any way.

Good luck,
Tim
post #14 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle

If anyone has something else they have used with success, please let me know!

(BTW, temps this week will be approaching 60 - with rain. Thursday should be dry and cooler - there is still time to take the bike to work!)
I have one of these it works great,
http://www.directlift.com/direct_pro_cycle.htm

they didn't have the drop out rear section when I bought mine, I have the Pro-Cycle XLT it comes with the Vise it is 93" long and has the removable sides that take it tio 48" wide, it also comes with the dolly at 750 usd, the drop out rear is 850usd, I can ride my LT up on it, put the sidestand down, get off put it on the center stand by myself with no worry at all.
it raises to 33" as well, lifts the LT just fine with 100psi of air to it, (but i do have some volume) it is a darn good buy.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 8:30 am

Lifts

Just tap in Johnbean for the website.(trademark of snap on).and Balco.
The lifts they supply are popular in the UK, and they have outlets all over the world.

04 YOUR 05

GRAPHITE IN BLIGHTY
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:13 pm

Smile

Hi, I have used a General lift for five years with no problems at all.
It can handle the weight of my 99 LT easily.Very stable!
Sure does take alot of bending and lying down out of the maintenance work.

Cheers,
George
post #17 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 2:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've been looking at the HF lift also. I think it's the same one my independent BMW mechanic uses and the LT looks stable on it. If you're going to use it frequently you'll get a leg work out.

Motor On ,/'

post #18 of 18 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

I really like the Pro Cycle XLT lift from Direct Lift. It looks as sturdy as the Handy model, but comes with the side extensions and wheel vise for about the same price as the Handy without the extra ($$) goodies.

Plus, with the extra width, I can convince my wife that I'm getting it to make servicing the John Deere (that's HER toy!) much easier!

Thanks to all for the suggestions, feedback, and links!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in