Rear fog light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Rear fog light

Coming home from France we experienced the most solid fog most of the way. This got me thinking that the back of the bike could do with a high intensity fog lamp. Has anyone done a mod like this? I have found a square on that fits on a panel and I am considering under the number plate.

Just pussin' through.

Last edited by Ajlelectronics; Oct 15th, 2007 at 2:43 pm. Reason: Dyslexia of the digits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 3:19 pm

I don't know about England, but in US it is illegal to mount a white light pointing backwards. Unless it is only on while backing.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 3:45 pm

It doesn't have to be a fog light and fog lights don't have to be white. One of the vendors at the Falling Leaf had bright red light ( I believe it was LED) that could be mounted on the rear of a bike with an indicator switch up front to turn it on and off. It was used for bad rain and weather, not just fog. F1 uses them in the rain. Try here http://www.rallylights.com/hella/backup.asp and scroll down a half page.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

Likewise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
I don't know about England, but in US it is illegal to mount a white light pointing backwards. Unless it is only on while backing.
Maybe you misunderstand? A rear fog light is high intensity red. A white light to the rear is only permitted for reversing, obviously similar to your regs.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...sp?sku=CP01047

Just pussin' through.

Last edited by Ajlelectronics; Oct 15th, 2007 at 4:09 pm. Reason: Add link
post #5 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
It doesn't have to be a fog light and fog lights don't have to be white. One of the vendors at the Falling Leaf had bright red light ( I believe it was LED) that could be mounted on the rear of a bike with an indicator switch up front to turn it on and off. It was used for bad rain and weather, not just fog. F1 uses them in the rain. Try here http://www.rallylights.com/hella/backup.asp and scroll down a half page.
In the UK there are strict rules about rear fog lights. They must never be used except in poor visibility. In particular, their use in rain is frowned upon due to the glare produced. They must only come on while the sidelight circuit is energised and must have a warning lamp.

Used sensibly, I think they make a big contribution to road safety.

Just pussin' through.
post #6 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It would be nice to have something that strobed some colors, including
red, to warn off folks approaching fast. Something to let them know
just before they run you over....

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
Maybe you misunderstand? A rear fog light is high intensity red. A white light to the rear is only permitted for reversing, obviously similar to your regs.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...sp?sku=CP01047
I didn't think about another color other than white. My bad. I think some high visiblity strips would also do a great deal. And it is very cheap to put them on.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #8 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:54 pm

My Audi Q7 has a rear fog light. The port side tail light runs 3-4 times brighter when it's activated. Since most BMW bikes come in one of the traditional Bavarian 40 shades of gray a fog light seems like a great idea.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:19 pm

I had dual-function Hyper Lites (running lights and brake lights) put on at CCR and I'm very impressed with their intensity. Maybe there is a way to engage them into flashing mode (as if the brakes were applied), or in the secondary mode (on, but not flashing -- very bright) at will, without applying the brakes.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 7:18 am

I think Ari said that some people have used the center light on the rear as a fog light. The center light has two filaments but only one is used for running lights. The other filament isn't connected but there is a terminal on the bulb socket so it is relatively easy to run a wire and switch to it.

I connected this to an electronic flasher so that it would blink whenever I had the brakes on. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...tronic+flasher

Just curious, wouldn't the hazard flashers work better than a steady red light in limited visibility?

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 7:27 am

I also have hyperlites on my UK bike. Currently they're only connected to the brake and flash along with the regular brake light (interesting comments at MoT time, but don't contravene the regs!). I'm sure another set wired to a switch would work great in fog as they are quite bright. Very expensive in the UK, though, so get them from the US if you can.

As to the use of fog lights in the UK - sure the laws are there but when was the last time any traffic cop enforced them? In fact, when was the last time you saw any traffic cops outside a town or not parked up with a radar camera on the M1??? Round here I haven't seen a police car out of town for years, and only see them in town because the main police station is just a couple of miles away and almost next door to Tesco........ The cops are all in their offices writing up the paperwork to support the on-the-spot fines they hand out to local yobs when the pubs throw out. Not their fault, perhaps, but the ACPO's don't do anything about it either.
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
The center light has two filaments but only one is used for running lights. The other filament isn't connected but there is a terminal on the bulb socket so it is relatively easy to run a wire and switch to it.
Now THAT is interesting. It should be just the job and may have been designed for the purpose. I will look at that. It will look neater than an add on, but there is still the switching to design and install.

Quote:
Just curious, wouldn't the hazard flashers work better than a steady red light in limited visibility?
Perhaps so, but a) that would contravene Road Traffic Acts and b) There would be no way to signal a turn. The rear fog lamp spec is 21W the same as a brake light, so a useful improvement in visibility.

On top of that, the following traffic seeing hazard lights would assume that the vehicle in front had stopped.

Just pussin' through.
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Aerostitch

Was looking through the magazine and found this http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...r-p-19521.html

you could mount this where ever you wanted them. Turn on when it is foggy (about 150 hours of battery). Then they are reflective when they are off.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #14 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
Was looking through the magazine and found this http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...r-p-19521.html

you could mount this where ever you wanted them. Turn on when it is foggy (about 150 hours of battery). Then they are reflective when they are off.
This is why I want a proper fog lamp at the rear ....

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/R...g%20Lights.htm

Just pussin' through.
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 8:40 pm

this is what i did

PIAA has some Hi intensity LED's in both red and white.
I put the red on the back for a fog light and a set of white on each side in the front.

The switch is from blue sea marine switch Top is for front set and bottom is for rear. center will be used for fuel pump for Aux fuel tank to be added at a later time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010155.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	14809   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010157.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	14810   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010159.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	14811   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010163.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	14812  

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #16 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Two steps forward . . . .

Quote:
I think Ari said that some people have used the center light on the rear as a fog light. The center light has two filaments but only one is used for running lights.
My investigation shows this to be the case. I am now trying to find a way of controlling it. I have tried to thread a cable through the existing grommet, but I cand find where the cable might emerge. It seems to go into the backside of the pannier and then vanish. The loom seems not to appear in the tail section.
Anyone know what route it takes and if it is easy to get to?

The other option is to be clever and use some logic to switch the beam on. Something like 8 brake light flashes with the tail light on and the hazards going, and then drops out when the tail light goes off again? No indicator would be possible then and it is part of our regs that it should have one. Still, nobody but me would know it was even there I suppose!

Just pussin' through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in