Sweet Lemon! Bouquet for BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 1:33 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Sweet Lemon! Bouquet for BMW

After owning my "06 for 15 months now, my LT I found out during this time was built by Herr Murphy at the Motorrad plant. Everything that can go wrong....! The final straw was when I got to my bike and the central locking went on the fritz. With alarms sounding and everyone looking as though I was busy stealing the "nice bike", enough was enough! My (BMW) dealer (who is on my speed dial) came along and trailered my bike away leaving me to wait for my SO to fetch me.
A phone call to the top man at BMW Motorrad SA (South Africa) I explained the entire sad history of my Ocean Blue. From good 'ol slave cylinder clutch failure to headlight failure to reverse gear failure (x 2) and now central locking system replacement. Each time the bike goes into the shop, the tupperware comes off. This has caused the mirrors to be loose and fall off at the slightest bump in the road. Each time BMW keep my bike for weeks on end! "This Sir is a Lemon". And he agreed!
He contacted me the next day and asked me "what color do I want". I was overwhelmed to say the least! I chose the new black one! It arrives tomorrow! They have traded my old one and given me the new one at a slight additional cost for the Xenon light that it now is fiited with - $1200! That's it! I still can't believe it, but it could have something to do with the fact that I own a '07 1200 GS Adv, an '04 650 GS and my '06 LT! But they never said so!
So guys, having problems? Go straight to the top!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Wow, Allen, I'm impressed!

I own an 06 LT, but haven't had any problems other than a clutch, but I think that was mostly my own fault.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 1:41 pm
Gold Supporter

Sorry for all your problems with the scoot. My problem was with the idiots at the dealership that kept screwing it up (or trying to screw me over), but by taking the same action you did and going straight to the top, I got it fixed right...FINALLY!!!

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 1:59 pm

watch out, I hear the black ones are really prone to problems!

(JUST KIDDING!!!)

glad you got satisfaction and they owned up to what was obviously a poorly build LT!

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Good on ya', Allen
and you got the fastest color !

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

So, what's BMW SA going to do with the old bike? Refurbish it and
sell it as used to some unsuspecting enthusiast? Perhaps you could
publish the VIN # somewhere ?

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

post #7 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 6:58 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
They have traded my old one and given me the new one at a slight additional cost for the Xenon light that it now is fiited with - $1200!
I hate to sound picky, but I would have made them give it to straight up with out the extra charge. They could have even swapped the headlight out of the old LT.

I know, $1200 is worth the aggravation but still it is your money.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #8 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Birdman

Couldn't agree with you more on the number of problems I've experienced also. Too bad my 2000 isn't newer so I could get a brand new one. Sure hope the someone shows up soon to buy mine. VIN#ABC123456789
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
I hate to sound picky, but I would have made them give it to straight up with out the extra charge. They could have even swapped the headlight out of the old LT.

I know, $1200 is worth the aggravation but still it is your money.

Just my 2 cents.
No offense, but there's one in every crowd. You can't please some people no matter what.

My 2 cents: This is truly the antithesis of the zillions of "they won't do anything about my clutch/fd/slave cylinder etc. etc." stories.

KUDOS TO BMW!!!!

First of all, the guy gets the upgraded headlight.

Secondly, he gets a bike with a higher extrinsic value - it's a year newer so it's worth more that his '06 - and always will be.

Third, he get's another year of warrantee - how much is that worth?

Fourth, he (hopefully) won't be spending most of his days taking time off of work to bring the bike in and pick it up again.

Fifth, he (hopefully) gets more riding time with a bike that's not continually in the shop.

Sixth, the mileage he put on his bike is wiped clean - along with any dings, nicks, scratches, etc.

Lastly (and I'm sure there's more I'll think of later), he gets to sleep nights not worrying about what's going to go wrong the minute the bike goes out of warranty.

I'm not flaming anyone here and you may be a very loved member of the community, but fer cryin' out loud - what do you expect them to do - fly him to Germany and put him in a 5 star hotel and give him use of a 750il ('cuz nothing less will suffice) so he can watch them build it for him?

Jeesh...

(don't flame me back - I mean this all in a GOOD way)...

mike
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Dang it!!

Allen, first of all, way to go and great for you...I thought that I was the only person that BMW had ever replaced their bike because of problem after problem after problem...after three months of being pateint and understanding, took me talking to a lawyer and simply mentioning to BMW NA that they had one day or my lawyer was going to have a whirl at it...great for you, now ride like ya stole it and amen able you getting a new bike that has never been dropped (dropped my the first week, 100 miles before the problems started)... and BMW did step up to the plate at that point.....TT runs like a bat of of hades and my friend with the Wing has invested couple of grand plus so he can stay out front....dang it, i should have told him that he is my gennie pig and let him see what is up front....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in