Sound System Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Sound System Help

Relatively new to this site and to the K1200LT (29 yrs on airheads). The 02 LT I recently picked up has the factory sound system. The annoying thing is the volume of the speakers to communities I drive thru, so I am looking for a way to install a helmet speaker system that I can enjoy and not disturb others. I don't want an intercom system as I ride alone. Any suggestions?
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 8:20 am

Sound system

Joe
You can change the fader so only the front speakers come on. You can also change the way the sound increases with speed/outside volume. Another option would be to fit Autocom part 1321 (www.autocom.co.uk) details of fitting this can be found in the Hall of Wisdom. If this is wired as described before the rear speaker connections then the rear speakers could be disconnected but you would still get sound. This would leave you with a 3.5 mm stereo plug. You could then buy a male/male adaptor and you could plug in headphones or what ever. If you go this route I would be tempted to get a used intercom unit that accepts music input as the wires and connections are designed for m/cycle use and I know that the Autocom mic unplugs from the headset to give listening only.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 8:46 am

Garage
I went with the other popluar aftermarket system Baher Optima XL made specifically for the LT. It connects directly into the sound system. You unplug three of the barrel plugs under the pillion seat and your done. I think the install took me less than 10 minutes.

I've attached the link to the installation and operating directions that are uploaded to the files section.

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/profile.php?uid=7899

Good Luck and welcome to the board!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 6:55 pm

There are a couple of recent threads under Accessories on the CAMOS bluetooth (wireless) headsets and the wirevo adapter that look interesting.

While CAMOS is set up for intercom use, it is also for listening to music. And the wirevo adapter allows an MP3 player (or other device) to broadcast over bluetooth.

Try this link... http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28184

It's worth a read before buying a wired solution anyway.

Good luck.
Gord
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
I went with the other popluar aftermarket system Baher Optima XL made specifically for the LT. It connects directly into the sound system. You unplug three of the barrel plugs under the pillion seat and your done. I think the install took me less than 10 minutes.

I've attached the link to the installation and operating directions that are uploaded to the files section.

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/profile.php?uid=7899

Good Luck and welcome to the board!
Rob,
If I understand correctly, the Optima XL can be used on earlier LT's that don't have the integrated sound system by plugging in the RUP -01-01 7 pin plug to the 10 pin plug located under the pillion. One would then adjust the fader control to push the audio back to the rear speakers where the XL would then become the interface for headphone, GPS, etc?

If the rider wanted speaker audio, then adjust the fader to direct the output up front.

I have a 2000 LT which has radio, tape & CD player but no other audio interfaces. This sounds like a simple, albeit $$$ solution for additional audio inputs & control.
Baehr Site

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in