Will I get cold feet? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Will I get cold feet?

I may be crazy but I really enjoy the cold weather riding. It might be due to the cager looks I get when cruising around in 20 degree weather.

I've been a Gerbings user for a number of years now (gloves/socks) and am upgrading my heating system to include a jacket liner. I have been using a dual control for the gloves and socks, adjusted to comfort. What is your experience using the liner and gloves and socks on a single control? Do you toast yourself trying to keep your hands/feet warm or is the system pretty balanced?

Thanks for any input.

Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 9:23 am
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Lightbulb

Bob,

I have a Gerbing pants and jacket liner. I have both the single and dual controls. I don't use the heated socks (yet).

For me I'd rather have my legs a bit cooler than my upper body. In most instances I can ride without the Gerbing pants liner. So, I really need to have dual controls otherwise I'd probably wind up constantly fiddling with the controls to get warm.

This will probably boil down to your own comfort. When I first got my jacket the dealer suggested getting a dual control. He was anticipating my getting the pants liner at a later date. His point was that I'd probably want the flexibility to adjust them separately. Consequently, I'd avoid buying a single and then getting the double. He was right.

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:47 am

Gerbing stuff

I have the jacket liner and gloves. Bought the socks last fall. I got my jacket liner wired to control gloves separate from the liner. Socks plug into the accessory cord on the jacket liner. I use a dual controller. Gloves controlled separately from the jacket liner and socks. I like to turn up my gloves fairly high. If the jacket liner were turned up that high I would roast. I am very happy with this setup.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:19 pm

Dual control or not dual control, that is the question.

Long time Gerbing enthusiast here in the deep south of Vermont.
Pants and Jacket liner, gloves and socks.
I use both dual control and single control depending on what bike I am on. In cold weather on one of my unfaired bikes I generally use single control, jacket, pants, socks and gloves all one one.
On the KLT, gloves and jacket on one zone, pants and socks on the other. This works very well. Sometimes I turn on heated grips with the gloves on at the same time. I don't have heated seats, never found the need for it with the Gerbings.
The dual control adds convience but you can get alone nicely with single control if you are willing to experiment with layering and are methodical in your dress. The thickness of the garment UNDER he Gerbing liner makes a difference. If I have the jacket and the pants on the same zone, I want a little more that a single layer shirt under the jacket liner or by the time my legs are warm enough my torso is too hot. A little more layering under the jacket keeps the heat a little further away and prevents over heating. Another aspect of layering is that I use a light pair of street socks under the Gerbing heated socks. It keeps the temps a little more moderate and is a little easier walking because of the wires in the heated socks.
So single control is very workable in my opinion, however the convience of dual control makes it worth having.
Ok, enough, I'll chill out now.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyirish
I got my jacket liner wired to control gloves separate from the liner. Socks plug into the accessory cord on the jacket liner. I use a dual controller. Gloves controlled separately from the jacket liner and socks. I like to turn up my gloves fairly high. If the jacket liner were turned up that high I would roast. I am very happy with this setup.

Pat,
This was a very good heads-up for me. Since the Gerbing website doesn't give this info, I was not aware of the option of ordering the liner with the extra wire so you can run the gloves separately from the liner. I called and changed my order. Without the extra wire, your only option is to use the gloves and liner together.

Thanks

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:58 am

Thumbs up Ain't this site something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
Pat,
This was a very good heads-up for me. Since the Gerbing website doesn't give this info, I was not aware of the option of ordering the liner with the extra wire so you can run the gloves separately from the liner. I called and changed my order. Without the extra wire, your only option is to use the gloves and liner together.

Thanks
Bob,
Glad it helped. I was fortunate to be educated by the Gerbing guy at a bike show a couple of years ago before I bought my jacket liner.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

post #7 of 9 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 8:11 am

Red face

I am also a long time Gerbing fan. Here in Seattle I use the heated liner about 9 months out of the year. Heated socks and heated pants liner are used only during the longer winter rides or our bitter cold temperatures (that's about 38 degrees here). I have the gloves but never use them. Can't feel the bike when I wear them. I have a pair of Held long gauntlet gloves with deer skin palms (thin leather). The tops of the Helds have thick insulation. The heat from the grips directly warm the hands and the tops of the gloves insulate the rest. Seems to work great in our mild climate (BTW we ride year round here).

Oh yes for your questions, I use only a single heatroller even with the socks, pants and jacket liner. Works great from my experience.
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 9:05 am

I have a jacket liner and gloves running on the same controller. With the jacket set to a comfortable level my hands have never been an issue. Never too hot and never too cold. The coldest weather I have used them in is 28 degrees riding my HD Heritage Softail. My hands are exposed to a good amount of the air flow on it and my hands were not cold with the jacket set comfortably. I think they work well because the heater elements are on the back side of the hands. You aren't compressing the heater elements into your hand and the elements are between the source of the cold and your skin. Now if you are waving at other riders a lot in 20 degree weather then your mileage may vary . Somehow I don't think that is going to be an issue .

I am not even using my Gerbing gloves riding Rufus. I wear summer rain gloves and set the grips on Hi. My hands get colder than when I use the Gerbings but I don't like wearing big clumsy gloves because I can't feel the controls. I tend to have to look down at the controls and that takes my attention off the road. I have only put 8k miles on Rufus since I bought it in July so I figure by the time I have 100k on it I won't have to look down any more. Maybe I'm a slow learner or something .

Of course cold and comfort levels are subjective issues. One of my past nick names was Polar Bear.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #9 of 9 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:03 am

My experience was that I had to use a dual controller, and in really cold weather run the gloves and socks on one, the pants and jacket liner on another. Unfortunately, unless you order the Gerbings with "split" wiring up front (most would never think of doing that), you have to run the glove and sock cords into a "Y" connector plugged into one controller, and the pants and jacket into the other one. Made suiting up a pain with the extra wires.

Even in weather not so cold, I found I had to run jacket/gloves on one control, and pants/socks on another to get a reasonable balance. The LT blocks so much of the wind that I normally had to run the jacket a little hotter than the pants.

To me, the gloves and socks needed more power to feel balanced with the pants and jacket.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in