parking lot strategies for the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

parking lot strategies for the LT

If you drive an LT very much, you have developed your own parking lot strategies -- where to park, where not to park, how to plan your exit strategy, when to use the center stand and when not. How to handle gravel, slopes, rough surfaces. How to prepare for traffic both entering and exiting a parking area so you don't get caught in an awkward stop that could topple the hippo. I'd love to hear from people what there strategies are, what they try to avoid at all costs, what they look for, etc.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Parking Lot

Look, Decide, Execute. Slow And Steady Wins The Race.
post #3 of 30 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:10 pm

I usually park on a handicapped person.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

post #4 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:43 am

I park on the fringes where hardly anyone else parks and avoid gravel when I can.
post #5 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:53 am

I park on either level ground or facing up a slope, leave it in first gear, and make sure the side stand is down and forward all the way.

I never use the center stand. Guess that is because I've tried to keep here up as she slowly went down. Trying to get her up on the center stand just trigers the feeling that she is on the edge of going OVER.

Bob 00LT
post #6 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 1:28 am

Thumbs up Plan ahead

Howdy...........

I just plan ahead. I guess I learned that from driving a semi truck afew years back. One can't just park one of those without some thought as to getting back on the road.

I do the same with my LT, even when entering a gas station. Plan the exit before pulling up to a pump.

NEVER park headed down hill.

Always survey the lot before landing and park so it's an easy out.

With a little practice one can tell if the slope is to steep to use the side stand.

I NEVER use the center stand except for servicing the bike.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 6:34 am

Parking

Park so you do not have to back out. I always find a couple of empty spots and turn the motorcycle so I am facing out of parking lot.

If it is a parking lot, as a mall, I always or try to park through the space so again I am facing out.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #8 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I park on either level ground or facing up a slope, leave it in first gear, and make sure the side stand is down and forward all the way.

I never use the center stand. Guess that is because I've tried to keep here up as she slowly went down. Trying to get her up on the center stand just trigers the feeling that she is on the edge of going OVER.

Bob 00LT
You should practice with the centerstand, and if possible get someone to stand on the other side of the bike to "spot" you in case you get it overcenter to the right. Once you get the feel of it, and have the method of putting your weight down on the stand and lifting a little, you will find that it is a lot more stable than you think now. When putting it up, when you put enough pressure down on the arm, you can easily feel when both feet are on the pavement, then just continue the process.

I almost never left the LT on the sidestand, only used it to get off the bike, then immediately centerstanded it. I did use the sidestand a couple of times on sloped surfaces when there was no level spot for the centerstand. That was very rare though. The bike is a lot more stable on the centerstand in my opinion, and you don't get the exhaust smoke on startup as you often do on the sidestand.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
Howdy...........

-----------------------------------------------
I NEVER use the center stand except for servicing the bike.

Practice, Practice, Practice.
I was the opposite, almost never left the LT on the sidestand!

As I said in in the previous post, I would suggest that you apply your Practice, Practice, Practice to the centerstand. On reasonably level ground I feel the LT is much better parked on the centerstand.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Of course, but what if there is not a handicapped person around?

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #11 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 7:45 am

As I am pulling into the parking lot, I have already given great thought to the layout of the lot and where and how to park.

What's funny is when I am on a group ride and everyone is parking, I usually park somewhere else! They think I am being snobbish!

I tell them that BMW's have special parking privileges.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #12 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 8:39 am

I always use my center stand because I have the power one. I think you will find the 05 and later to use the center stand more.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #13 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 8:51 am

[QUOTE=pkpr1998] They think I am being snobbish!QUOTE]

They may have a point there.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #14 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 8:56 am

I don't use either stand! I try to never get off.
post #15 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 9:19 am

I usually park in a regular parking spot, and always use my center stand. I just make sure not to pull all the way up to a parking curb, so that anybody that wants to zip into what was a seemingly empty spot can see the LT before they decide to do so.

Never put the bike on the center stand when it's pointing uphill...you can only do this once, as I have learned. ( manual stand).

If it is a sandy or soft parking area, I'll ride 3 blocks away to find a hard point to park, just dont like the idea of walking away from the bike and coming back to see it laying on its side.

If I see a scooter close by, I will park out of the line of sight from said scooter. LOL

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #16 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 9:41 am

If I'm parking on gravel or asphalt softened by the sun, I always use the side stand. I keep a 4" round metal plate in my tank bag & always use it under the side stand. If I'm on a hard level surface, I will many times use the power center stand.

I don't pay much attention to parking on a downward slope anymore since my bike has the power reverse. I just put it on the side stand, make sure the bike is in gear & then I roll it as far forward as I can.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #17 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 9:47 am

Talking

Trade for an RT, all those problems go away..

Tom McNulty
..sometimes you eat the bear...and sometimes, the bear eats you....

2003 Silver K1200LT---Sold
AKA "Miss Piggy"
2006 Graphit Gray R1200RT
AKA "Piglet"
post #18 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:13 am

Talking never had a mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I was the opposite, almost never left the LT on the sidestand!

As I said in in the previous post, I would suggest that you apply your Practice, Practice, Practice to the centerstand. On reasonably level ground I feel the LT is much better parked on the centerstand.

I ride almost every day and never had a side stand mishap. Absolutely no effort required to put the side stand down, roll forward in 1st, and lean it over.
The center stand is nothing but WORK to me both going up and getting it down. Guess I'm just plain lazy. Anyway, the side stand route works just fine for me.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #19 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:35 am

parking lot strategies

I do commute to work daily on my bike and experience multiple parking lots. By the way, I'm starting to get refused entry to some covered garages they say it's because bikes set off all the car alarms. I agree that the exit strategy has to be considered upon entering any lot. Most of time the lots I use are asphalt and the surface is irregular. Beware of dips (yikes, that water's deep!) and speedbumps, which remind you the skidplate is there for a reason. In the summer, be aware that the hippo will sink in soft surfaces incl. asphalt at even moderate temps. I carry the cover from an electrical junction box and put it under the sidestand if I park it that way. Sometimes you can find a cement footing. Using the center stand 99% of the time, although the one and only almost dump was taking it off the center stand and not being on the bike.
'05 KLT lt. yellow
Sacramento area
post #20 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 1:35 pm

Gee I just ride up, find some empty looking space, slow down a little and step off. When the bike finally stops moving and all the noise is over with, I walk over and remove the key!
post #21 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Best advise is to do what I do,, just keep riding!

On a more serious note though its taken me some time to learn that the LT is NOT an airhead, and you do have to scope things out as you're parking. A few weeks ago i came rolling into a gravel parking area then realized that it had a slight down hill slope to it and I was parked facing in. Couldn't get any traction to back her up so had to use the revserse for the first time since getting it a year ago. Kinda jerky, but it worked. On rides along back roads finding spots to park it for picture opps is a real pain, I've missed i don't know how many good ones, its been a big switch from the 78 airhead! So sometimes I still take the 78 for really out-of-the-way rides.

Planning, planning, planning is all I can recomend

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
post #22 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 2:48 pm Thread Starter

Cool Here's one more event to plan

My driveway,or part of it, is also the alley between my house and our neighbor's. Usually, I just turn right in, no problem. But once, as I was getting ready to make that turn, my neighbor was just about to exit in his car. Woops. Wasn't expecting that. I made a stop, but it was awkward because the road was sloped there, etc. So, now I really check out as much as possible who is coming and going before entering a parking lot/driveway. It makes for smoother riding and stopping if you can be prepared for another vehicle emerging as you are getting ready to enter.
I use the center stand on all smooth level surfaces. Just like it better.
Avoid backing up on gravel. Even if you use reverse it can be very dicy.

Greg

post #23 of 30 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 8:44 pm

OK LTryder, I'll bite. Why not use center stand when pointing uphill? I always park facing uphill as I find it easier to get her on the center stand pointing in that direction.

Steve
'04 LT
post #24 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenia
OK LTryder, I'll bite. Why not use center stand when pointing uphill? I always park facing uphill as I find it easier to get her on the center stand pointing in that direction.
I'm going to guess it's because it can be a real PITA to get it OFF the centerstand when you are ready to leave. At least mine is if I park it pointing up hill on the center stand.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #25 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenia
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
I'm going to guess it's because it can be a real PITA to get it OFF the centerstand when you are ready to leave. At least mine is if I park it pointing up hill on the center stand.
Agreed. There is a certain uphill-slope angle (I don't know what it is, but it exists) beyond which it can be difficult to push the beast off the center stand. If you really want to draw attention to yourself in the parking lot, do the dorky back-and-forth thing as you repeatedly try to get the LT off the centerstand.

This is one time, however, where being two-up has its advantages: if you and the passenger rock forward together it's easier to push the bike off center.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #26 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 5:23 pm

Hey Howard!!!
Saw you on 70...again at about 3:45pm.....bankers hours eh???

Mike
post #27 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow

Why you drop your bike on the nearest on-looker of course. Viola, instant handicapped person. This is one of the many advantages of an 800+ pound bike.

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #28 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
Hey Howard!!!
Saw you on 70...again at about 3:45pm.....bankers hours eh???

Mike
<continuing thread hijack>
Yes, that was me. Now that I work for a bank I get obscure holidays off (Columbus Day, last week) and occasional "banker's hours". Of course, I worked until 9:30 last night, and was back at the office at 6:40 a.m. today.

Why was I leaving so early? Because I was riding on a ticking time bomb of a rear tire (see other thread) that I knew was slowly deflating all the way home. I wanted to get out of Dodge before rush hour.
<return to thread>

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #29 of 30 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke

that's what I LOVE about the LT's top case...room to carry your own, if you don't mind the vertically challenged ones. I used to pack twins, but I found that one of them always screwed around with my CD-changer. Little bastards.

Pete "already goin' to hell, so this post isn't pushing me over the edge" Van Dyke

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #30 of 30 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 9:08 am

I always use the center stand. It just seems much more solid. It can be a challenge to get it down if you are really on a uphill incline. Just takes a second and its peace of mind.
I'm still getting used to filling up on the right side of the tank. My previous bike had a center fill cap, and the bike leaned left, so I filled from the left.
I just have not had that much of a problem with the low speed stuff.
Don't get me wrong I've dropped it twice, once while backing out of a steep gravel drive on to a very sloped road, and another doing a u-turn in the black hills at 11:00 pm after an 15 hour ride. It was one of those 11 point turns on a 10' wide road..
I try to keep my head up and look ahead..
just my $.02 worth

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in