Stop n Go kudo, Avon source ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Stop n Go kudo, Avon source

Checked the LT tire pressure just a few minutes before a couple of friends showed up for a Sunday afternoon ride. No air in the rear! But there was a nail.

Didn't want to ride 2 up on the /6 (kinda chilly and the Gerbings needed the LT power) so I stuck a Stop n Go plug in the rear tire. First time I had used the kit on a motorcycle tire. The plug worked just fine and was pretty easy to place.

Shame, that was the last BT020 radial on the rear. I ran the Avon front/020 rear combination only for a few hundred miles. I have to say that combination is not quite as good as a matched set of 020s was.

So now I am shopping for a rear Avon Storm 160/70-17. These seem to be more expensive that I remember the rear 020 radial costing.
Any suggestions as to where to order the Avon from?

Addendum: I ordered from SWMoto... the lowest price of the few sites I checked.

Thanks,

Last edited by CharlieVT; Oct 14th, 2007 at 7:32 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I ran the Avon front/020 rear combination only for a few hundred miles. I have to say that combination is not quite as good as a matched set of 020s was.
What don't you like about it?

I'm running that combo right now and I love it. I put the Avon on just before a trip and then immediately put 2,000 on it, mostly on Colorado and Arizona backroads. I found the combination to be very turny and responsive, even more so than a pair of BT020s.

Regards,
-joel
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

The Avon/020 combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
I'm running that combo right now and I love it. I put the Avon on just before a trip and then immediately put 2,000 on it, mostly on Colorado and Arizona backroads. I found the combination to be very turny and responsive, even more so than a pair of BT020s.
Regards,
-joel
Good question Joel,
Not that "I didn't like it" but somehow it wasn't quite the same as a new set of radial 020s. Your question makes me think further about what I noticed. Neutral steering was maintained, so this wasn't the issue. Very stable in the corners. I guess I would say "twitchy" when going from straight and level flight to entering the turn. During the transition from straight to entering the turn, the stability seems just a little bit less than I remember a new set of matched "Stones" to be.
Aggressive riding two up (yeah we do that), Ohlins, 42lbs front, 48 rear: I found just a little more need to keep "hands on" during turn entry.
Very subjective assessment, and not a criticism. I found the combo to be very good, just not quite the same as I recalled a matched set of stones.

Maybe what I consider "twitchy" you call "turny and responsive". But my take on it was that with the combo when I had made up my mind which way we were headed, the tires still hadn't quite decided, and with the matched set of 020s the tires and I reached the conclusion at the same time. (If that makes any sense.... anthropomorphizing the tires) .
I have a rear Avon on order and I look forward to experiencing that set.

Thanks for asking,
Regards fron back east, the deep south of Vermont.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog

Regards,
-joel
I also run the same combination and I really like the Avon front tire. It runs fine and had lasted much longer than any of the previous front 020's ever did. I think it may feel a little "twichy" because it seems to start out with a lot more rubber - the treads are deeper. A brand new front 020 never looked like there was much to it tread wise so there was not much to rub off. JMO

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:09 am

Garage
Exclamation As a member since 2002. . .

. . . you should know that you're going to lose most of this crowd using three syllable words...let alone six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
(If that makes any sense.... anthropomorphizing the tires)

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in