New Tire Time - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

New Tire Time

It's that time for a new rear tire, and as I've been happy with my BT020 that came with the bike I'm going to stick with that. Found it for ~120-130 delivered, which is much cheaper than any 880s I found which also helps.

The next step is to mount and balance it. If there is anyone local who could help me out I'd appreciate it . Local is relative of course. I'd rather not use the local MC dealer, and the "local" BMW dealers aren't so local. Basically, anything to help me avoid using the spoons and a 2x4.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Tire change

I'll do it free, I live in West Texas!
post #3 of 20 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Interesting.

Adam
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!

post #4 of 20 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
It's that time for a new rear tire, and as I've been happy with my BT020 that came with the bike I'm going to stick with that. Found it for ~120-130 delivered, which is much cheaper than any 880s I found which also helps.

The next step is to mount and balance it. If there is anyone local who could help me out I'd appreciate it . Local is relative of course. I'd rather not use the local MC dealer, and the "local" BMW dealers aren't so local. Basically, anything to help me avoid using the spoons and a 2x4.

Cheers,
Hey, Adam - that always begs the question; where did you find the tire for the price?

And btw - if you have a Cycle Gear store near you, lots of those folks will mount and balance a tire for ya. The ones I hear about ask that you take in the rim and old tire, and the new tire, for them to do the work. Good luck to you, Adam.
post #5 of 20 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Tire Prices

No Cycle Gear near me unfortunately. For the pricing, I searched throughout the Tire section of this forum, and also googled discount motorcycle tires. The sites I found that had the BT020 were the following (these are the cheapest):

American Motorcycle Tire www.americanmototire.com $129.41
Bike Bandit www.bikebandit.com $127.33
Motorcycle Pro Shop www.motorcycleproshop.com $122.00

These prices all include delivery. I couldn't find the tire listed on SW Moto unfortunately. I ended up using Motorcycle Pro Shop.

Enjoy,

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #6 of 20 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Quote:
No Cycle Gear near me unfortunately. For the pricing, I searched throughout the Tire section of this forum, and also googled discount motorcycle tires. The sites I found that had the BT020 were the following (these are the cheapest):

American Motorcycle Tire www.americanmototire.com $129.41
Bike Bandit www.bikebandit.com $127.33
Motorcycle Pro Shop www.motorcycleproshop.com $122.00

These prices all include delivery. I couldn't find the tire listed on SW Moto unfortunately. I ended up using Motorcycle Pro Shop.

Enjoy,
Thanks a lot, Adam. Always good to hear of our member's success in sourcing m/c items; expecially tires. Ride safe.
post #7 of 20 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 6:46 am

Tire Change

Quote:

Cheers,
Ride it down to sarasota. I'll show you how change and balance it. If you're interested email me at: [email protected]
post #8 of 20 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:18 am

I just had my rear (tire ) changed at the local shop. Did it while I waited for $30. I brought just the rear wheel in, but removing the wheel is a piece of cake. There were some dealers in Omaha who would not change the tire unless you bought the tire from them, but some would. Call around.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #9 of 20 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, think I'll bring the rim and new tire to the local HD shop to do. Quoted $34, so not that bad. The service and parts dept have treated me well, plus they're close and open at a good time.

Was debating a HF changer+MC adapter, but have heard mixed reviews. At ~$100 for both it is interesting, but not quite yet.

Cheers,

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #10 of 20 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Yeah, think I'll bring the rim and new tire to the local HD shop to do. Quoted $34, so not that bad. The service and parts dept have treated me well, plus they're close and open at a good time.

Was debating a HF changer+MC adapter, but have heard mixed reviews. At ~$100 for both it is interesting, but not quite yet.

Cheers,
speaking HD dealers changing BMW tires....

I took 78 rear wheel into one a number of years back in some small town cause I had a flat and no repair tools with me. A while later he comes out and wants to know which way to remount the tire. Huh? then I realized since it didn't have a sproket he didn't know which side was which! Ha Ha!

Then they only charged me half as much with the comment "Damn, that was too easy!" (guess cause it didn't have rim locks)

Too funny....

RM

I ride because I look funny walking!
post #11 of 20 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 8:05 pm

tire

Quote:

Cheers,
You do know that the HD dealer can't balance the BMW rear wheel, don't you? He won't have the adapter.
post #12 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:09 am Thread Starter

They don't come pre-balanced?

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #13 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:41 am

I've researched balancing of motorcycle tires...a lot of people claim aligning the paint mark with the valve stem is totally adequate. Some don't even think balancing the tire is necessary for a scoot.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #14 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:30 am Thread Starter

I've heard this as well, and suppose it could work in a pinch/emergency repair. But given my druthers would like to get it balanced. Turns out there is a BMW/Guzzi shop in town that I thought was out of business. Well, they have an answering machine at least. I'll be spinning by there at some point to check it out.

Cheers,

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #15 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Rear Tire Too

Adam
I live in Floral City, Fl just about 50 or so miles south of you and it is time for me to get a new rear tire too. I have been considering the Avon Storm or the Bridgestone but have no experience with either. I have worn out several of the ME880's and would like to try something else, especially since the Metz have gotten so expensive.
So my question is what kind of mileage did you get out of the Bridgestone? I am pretty good about keeping the air pressure up to snuff and have not had any problems with cupping, I do have my own tire installation equipment so the install is not an issue but I have read that mileage with the stones is an issue.
Jim Davis
Floral City, Fl
post #16 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

I got my LT used with this tire. If it came stock, then that would put it at ~17k. That's pretty high, so I think there was a change in there. Basically, I'm not sure .

So...your own tire equipment you say

**edit**
Forgot to actually answer your question. I've put on ~7k miles with the BT020s, plus the balance from the previous owner. That sounds in line with other tires, but I'll be more sure once the new one dies.
**end edit**

Cheers,

Adam
The
wants YOU!

Last edited by browad; Oct 17th, 2007 at 1:19 pm.
post #17 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 1:00 pm

Stones

I think that I am in the same boat as you I bought this LT (2003) about 5 months ago with 9600 miles on it from a fellow in Ocala and at the time the rear tire looked good but not new and now with 17000 on it I am ready for a replacement but I don't believe Metzler was the original tire, it has ME880's on it front and rear. On my previous LT I was getting from 12-14000 miles on a new ME880 rear so did the original, which should have been a Bridgestone ony last 5 or 6000 miles?? Guess I will just have to try one and see for myself.
Jim
post #18 of 20 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 9:34 am Thread Starter

Update

Rode out to the Gville HD dealer, took the rim off (incredibly easy btw) and they changed the tire. That was at 16500 miles, and I took it out to Biketoberfest later that day. New tire =

Cheers,

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #19 of 20 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 1:43 pm

Bring it by and I'll show you how to change one without spoons or bars. Can't do much for balancing though.

B D R
post #20 of 20 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:33 pm

Just replaced the front BT020 on my 05'. I took it to my KTM dealer and they mounted and balanced it. They aligned the dot with the stem and perfect balance (no weight)! This is the fifth set of BT020 (bias) and this has happened 3 times now. I love the feel of this tire and if I run them at 42/48 I don't get any cupping (front) until they hit about 4K.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in