buying a K1200LT a mistake? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

buying a K1200LT a mistake?

As I read thru this and other forums I'm beginning to think I made a mistake buying a 2002 LT with 20K miles. I read about having to change throttle cables, oil leaks, rear drive failures, lousy dealer service, $800 mirrors falling off, expensive service, being top heavy, and on and on. I wanted a reliable touring bike and didn't want to get a Goldwing because every one has one of those. But now I feel that the BMW might not be so reliable and more expensive than other bikes to maintain.
Am I getting worried over nothing or did I make a mistake?

Newly retired in PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 8:08 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleybmwbiker
As I read thru this and other forums I'm beginning to think I made a mistake buying a 2002 LT with 20K miles. I read about having to change throttle cables, oil leaks, rear drive failures, lousy dealer service, $800 mirrors falling off, expensive service, being top heavy, and on and on. I wanted a reliable touring bike and didn't want to get a Goldwing because every one has one of those. But now I feel that the BMW might not be so reliable and more expensive than other bikes to maintain.

Newly retired in PA
Don't worry just ride it !!!!! I bought a 2000 with 13200 on the clock 2 1/2 years ago now have 38,000on her with out even a hickup and I pull a trailer

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 8:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Newly retired in PA
Well, I'm new to BMW also after owning Kawasaki's exclusively for 30+ years and my last bike being a Voyager XII I owned for 17 years. I hope that you are worrying about nothing!

I think you have to keep in mind that forums such as these capture all of the bad stuff and little of the good stuff. I sold my Voyager after it had two final drive related failures. The first, at 36,000 miles, was must a leaking pinion seal. This wasn't a big deal and took a couple hundred bucks to fix. However, when the seal failed again at 44,000 miles, it wasn't so benign. This time the coil spring that tensions the seal lip came out of the seal and was ingested by the pinion bearing. This isn't a field repairable unit according to Kawasaki and thus they wanted to sell me a new final drive for the princely sum of $1,500 (which is about twice what I understand BMW FDs go for). I instead bought a used FD for $300, installed it and then sold the bike as I no longer trusted it.

So, all brands have trouble and I don't yet know if BMW is more or less troublesome than other brands. They do seem to have a higher than desirable FD failure rate, but there is also slight evidence that the problem has been less prevalent in later models, although apparently this year's Iron Butt had an unusually high failure rate so maybe not.

Personally, I'm going to ride my LT and though it were bulletproof and not worry about it until it proves otherwise. So far, but with only 3,600 miles, so good!

Matt

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 8:19 pm

hmmmm.....

May want to be sure you have safety ties of some sort on the mirrors so they can't fall to the ground but about 6 to 8 inches. Then apply gasoline liberally.

Flint

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #5 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 8:32 pm

Ride it like you sole it!

The only concern I have, is the amount of money that I spend on tires.
I average 2K on a set of tires. Front and rear.

My sportbikes get 2K on the rear and at least I two rear to a front.

The LT just simply gobbles up tires.

I don't worry about things breaking until they break.
THe LT is a fine machine...
All Motorcycles break.

Look at Harley's.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 8:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC

How do you chew up a tire in 2K miles? I have 3,600 on my OEM 880s, and they are worn 40% at most. I'm expecting to get at least 8K and maybe even 10K.
What brand(s) are you using? The soft compound sport bike tires? I got one of those on my Voyager once as they didn't have the 481s in stock in my size and it barely made 5K (I got 10K+ on the 481s).

Matt

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 9:13 pm

Mark,

Don't worry about your new bike. Just enjoy the ride!

You have come to right place for information and help with anything that may go wrong with your bike. Read the forum and you'll find all the things that are likely to ever go wrong with the LT. You'll know what to look out for and what items to make sure you maintain.

If the final drive goes there isn't much you can do about it before hand. Just change the fluids often. I change mine every 3,000 miles along with the oil. You can buy a brand new drive for $800 and install it in an hour or two if the worst case happens.

I'd be more concerned with a leaking slave cylinder since that can contaminate the clutch and result in a 20-30 hour repair if you tackle it yourself or $1500-$2000 if you have a dealer do the repair. Drill the weep hole and you'll eliminate the potential for contaminating the clutch.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #8 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 9:14 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:

All Motorcycles break.

Look at Harley's.
Man I get 10,000 on a rear and around 18.000 per front.!! You riding without air in dem tires??

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Man I get 10,000 on a rear and around 18.000 per front.!! You riding without air in dem tires??
I think he replaces them when the little rubber tips wear off:-)

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #10 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Garage
Quote:
......Am I getting worried over nothing or did I make a mistake?.....
Relax and just ride it. Most of the stuff discussed around here will probably never happen to you. In 100K (+,-) LT miles I had a few problems, but nothing like one may think from reading the forum. For example, my mirror(s) never fell off, never had an engine oil leak, no gear linkage ,rear main seal, throttle cable failure, nor transmission failures. Luckily, I have had great service from either of two local dealers.
I had a drive failure at 46K (covered under BMW warranty) even though I was out of time and over 30K!.
Other than routine maintenance the bike(s) have been mostly trouble free.

Last edited by patrick2000; Oct 13th, 2007 at 9:57 pm.
post #11 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Look at your addresses and look at mine.

I don't ever ride a straight road... By choice.

I got 3K on the ME880.
2K on the Storms.
I gaurantee that I ride my LT more aggresive than any other rider on this site.
If you doubt that statement, let's go for a ride.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #12 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:02 pm

One thing that will make you feel better and make the LT cheeper to own is to attend a "tech day" in your area and learn to do the maintenance yourself. If you take it to the dealer for everything then you are going to spend a lot of money.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 52 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:05 pm

He's running the same as me. They are very sticky tires. Here's a picture of mine from the Dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
How do you chew up a tire in 2K miles? I have 3,600 on my OEM 880s, and they are worn 40% at most. I'm expecting to get at least 8K and maybe even 10K.
What brand(s) are you using? The soft compound sport bike tires? I got one of those on my Voyager once as they didn't have the 481s in stock in my size and it barely made 5K (I got 10K+ on the 481s).

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	north carolina 012.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	14733  

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #14 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 1:35 am

bad things good things

..... like anything ells in life nothing is perfect, it's all about the way you look on things .... & with this heavy Puppy the key word is interaction ….
just logged 3500 miles on my 2000 Red Canyon (47K on the Odo), Southern CA to Indianapolis IN ...... this Bike is amazing Bike, and if it brake down I'll fix it & keep riding, and riding, and riding ....
post #15 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 6:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yair1956
..... like anything ells in life nothing is perfect, it's all about the way you look on things .... & with this heavy Puppy the key word is interaction ….
just logged 3500 miles on my 2000 Red Canyon (47K on the Odo), Southern CA to Indianapolis IN ...... this Bike is amazing Bike, and if it brake down I'll fix it & keep riding, and riding, and riding ....

Amen! Bother.

Visit
post #16 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 6:52 am

Like Mr Pie Princess says......

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn

I get at least that on my Metzs!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #17 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 7:29 am

Great Ride, No Problems

I bought my 04LT back in June thinking of a 4,000 mi trip I had planned for Aug. Then I started reading all the "repair" threads on this site. I even posted a thread similar to yours about being nervous about my trip out west..
I've now put close to 7,000 on it since I bought it. (24,000 to 31,000) It is running better now than when I first bought it.
All I have had to do is change oil etc. (& final drive oil)
I keep looking for oil drops, and I'm paying close attention for any clutch slippage. I bought metal cables to catch the mirrors, if they fall. I'm planning to drill the weep holes at the 36,000 mi service.
Its a great bike. I test drove the wing, it was just not made for me (6'5".) I did not want a Harley (I put on too many miles).. The LT was the only bike that could do all I wanted.. It still is.
I think its just the nature of this site to focus on "problems." It makes sense. Who's going to post every day about a "great ride" "no problems" ??
Its obvious by the tire wear that there are riders out there that are pushing their LTs a lot more than the average rider, and they are staying with it.
I'm really happy with mine, and when it does have a problem, I'll fix it and keep riding. Its not perfect, but I can't think of another bike I'd rather own..
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

Last edited by justlookin; Oct 14th, 2007 at 7:36 am.
post #18 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 7:46 am

I had most of the problems the LT can present, plus the worst one I have seen here that only I had (broken ring lands on all 4 pistons), plus the very difficult to replace starter sprag clutch. That makes me probably the most experienced person here with all the possible LT problems.

I don't have a bike right now, totaled my second LT, and due to financial reasons (just retired and moved from San Diego to Tennessee), but when the finances allow I will get another bike. Guess what is in the top billing when I do? You guessed it, another LT! Second on the list is a GS.

Although I had a lot of issues with the LT, over 120,000 miles, it is still the bike that just plain FIT me and my riding better than anything else could. I may go to the GS because I don't think that multi 1,000 mile day rides are in my future any longer, and I may ride more locally than I did before, when I was riding all over the country.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #19 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 8:07 am

I agree most people will complain then give thumbs up, it's the same with anything. My 03 is driven everyday and other then gas and oil changes it only gets better with riding it. I have the 24K coming up and I intend to do most of the work myself, now that I can get the tupperware off. Enjoy the bike and just ride

2002 R1150R rip
1996 R1100RT
post #20 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 8:12 am

Quote:
I'll take that challange, bring your title.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #21 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 8:48 am

Quote:
Yep, I doubt that.
Quote:
I'm sure we will

Let's put it this way. Our endurance team chewed up a team called Deals Gap Racing and Team Hammer 2. then we'll go from there.

BTW I get 7-10K miles on Metz's and really hate to get tickets, especially in NC.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #22 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 9:09 am

trouble free

I have had my 05 for 3 years and have put 15,000 miles on it. I know that's not a lot of miles but I have had no trouble at all with it. I replaced my 880's at 10,500. They probably had about another 1500 left in them. I just got out of warranty, so I hope to have no trouble in the future.
post #23 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 9:57 am

OK!

Mike, Rock and John can the rest of us come and watch?

I KNOW that I don't belong anywhere near that group but I sure would like to see what some of you guys can do with an LT. I know that Joe has high praise for John's riding skills.

How about a track day on LT's? That way us slow guys won't have to try to keep up to see the action. We can just sit in the bleachers and watch.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #24 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:39 am

Stop reading.

When I went to Alaska and back, one of my fears were all the fears I have read on this forum. I as scared to death that I was going to break down. However I returned after 12060 miles without a problem. I just finished another 1100 mile trip to North Carolina. Now I agree with a lot hear that the problems you read will probably not happen to the bike. So I ride with less fear.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #25 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:49 am
fas

Talking Don't be afraid.....

Quote:

All Motorcycles break.

Look at Harley's.
Laugh at Harley's.....

My 2002 LT served me very well for 4 years. Never stranded me. Tires lasted 16,000 miles (METZ). Dealer replaced throttle cables free under warranty.

My GT OEM tires are already replaced at 9,400 miles. Zero GT problems in the first 15 months of ownership. I run the GT harder. I had METZ Z6 installed because I was impressed with the life of the Metx on my LT.

No problems with either bike other than me not riding them enough due to our crap weather or my business interfering with my fun...

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #26 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Yep, I doubt that.

I'm sure we will

Let's put it this way. Our endurance team chewed up a team called Deals Gap Racing and Team Hammer 2. then we'll go from there.

BTW I get 7-10K miles on Metz's and really hate to get tickets, especially in NC.
Lets see if we can get an LT's day race up Pikes Peak

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #27 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:56 am

Quote:

Newly retired in PA
I've had three K1200LTs since 2001... two 00's and one '05. I've ridden well over 60,000 miles on them, and have had one rear drive failure, no throttle problems, no oil leaks, good service from dealers, and the only mirror that popped off could've been prevented through the intelligent use of a mirror tether. They do tend to feel top-heavy, but only at 5 mph in parking lots. I'm delighted with my K1200LTs.

=======================================
George Falcon, Rockville, MD.
Riding since 1975, daily since 2000.
2005 K1200LT in gold (my third K1200LT)
(frame cracked)
AMA, BMWMOA, BMWRA, BMWBMW
NRA, Mensa, Intertel
=======================================

post #28 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
OK!

Mike, Rock and John can the rest of us come and watch?

I KNOW that I don't belong anywhere near that group but I sure would like to see what some of you guys can do with an LT. I know that Joe has high praise for John's riding skills.

How about a track day on LT's? That way us slow guys won't have to try to keep up to see the action. We can just sit in the bleachers and watch.

Kevin
Oh, that testosterone thing again.

You're right Kevin, the track is where this stuff belongs. Unfortunately, not my LT. I looked into a couple track days just for old times sake and the idea of safety wiring some plugs, removing antifreeze, taping or removing glass, etc, doesn't appeal to me. The costs are reasonable though.

Oh, and Joe is just Joe

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #29 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
Lets see if we can get an LT's day race up Pikes Peak
All right Neil, you can come too

And I'll do Pike's Peak if I don't get any rock chip's on my bike. I've been doing too much gravel lately and I hate scarring my machine.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #30 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 2:58 pm

Quote:

And I'll do Pike's Peak if I don't get any rock chip's on my bike. I've been doing too much gravel lately and I hate scarring my machine.
You should be glad you don't live around here. They chipped and sealed everything and haven't swept off the gravel yet. If they keep doing this im thinking about ryno lining my bottom fairing. That should patch my hole that are in the fairing now.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #31 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 4:26 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
If they keep doing this im thinking about ryno lining my bottom fairing.
Grif has done that! He can tell you how that works.
post #32 of 52 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 5:03 pm

If I have to quit riding my LT, I will probably quit riding.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #33 of 52 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:40 pm

I got my 03' about a year ago. It had 6,200 miles on it. Right after I got it, I started to read this and another BMW (local club) forum and found out about all the problems, and man I was almost afraid to ride mine to the end of the driveway. (I think I even made one of these posts myself.) That was a year ago. I've got just over 18,000 on it now, and haven't had a bit of trouble. I've changed the oil, the transmission and read drive fluids, checked the valve clearance, and a few other things myself. Put new tires on it at 16,000 miles (Metz's). I hope to ride it a lot more.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
post #34 of 52 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 10:32 pm

My '02 has over 11k on the current rear and about about 5k on the front. Both have lots of miles left. Metzler ME's.
As for the mirrors. I bumped mine (left one) in the garage and knocked it off. Zip-tie them on. A simple fix that takes a couple minutes.
There was a time I wondered like you after reading about the nightmares and encountering a few bugs myself if I had made a mistake buying the LT. But, I have owned over 50 bikes and have come to the conclusion that if you want a bike that can do what the LT does it's worth it. Read this forum (I find that it answers every question), get a Clymer manual, ride!

Regards, Dallas
02 K12LT Pac Blue
post #35 of 52 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 7:04 am

Only you you can decide...

if you made a mistake buying a KLT. But don't base your decision on what you read here. Ride the bike.

I bought my 2000 new and with 58K miles on it now I wouldn't trade it for any other bike, including a newer KLT.

I modified the stock seat to sit a litter lower, put on Subarban Machine peg lowering adaptors, but no other substantive changes. With riding experience and slow speed practice this bike gets smaller and lighter.

For the long distance comfort, weather protection, and two up ability, this is a remarkably agile motorcycle.

Quote:

Newly retired in PA
post #36 of 52 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 8:20 am

I bought a 2002 with 18,000 miles on it .

Read all the horror stories . My bike suffered from one. A rear disc that rang like a cowbell , which I fixed for a couple hundred bucks by replacing it with an EBC.

After that I logged 15,500 miles on her in a year and a half (Would have been even more but I have more than one motorcycle.) the last 1000 carving out a path through the Cheif Joseph and Beartooth pass. (which I rode back and forth through 3 times in 2 days in absolute blissful riding)

The only problem in that time period I had ... is I found out the LT doesn't like to be crashed and rolled down the highway at 55mph.

Totalled and I miss her already.
post #37 of 52 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:26 am

Quote:

Newly retired in PA
I will confirm all of your concerns except for the mirrors (Rebuild for about $110 per side). While I have had all of those problems (actually dealer service has been pretty good) this bike at 69,000 miles has been the best bike I've ever owned and never let me down. I have experienced all of the above failures but I discovered them at home and promptly took care of them. I would never hesitate to take the bike on any trip of any duration. (None of my miles are commuter miles by the way)

Now regarding maintenance: If you dealer service your LT you will find that the scheduled maintenance and tire replacement costs will be the highest you've ever experienced. Good Luck and God Bless.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #38 of 52 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Sold my Ultra and bought my 05 LT last July from a dealer with 86 miles on the clock. At 1,300 miles (about a month later) the slave cylinder went and took the clutch with it. Having never owned a BMW I had the same thoughts... what did I just get myself into? The bike has 18k on it now and I haven't had another problem. Took the bike to Montana in August and it performed flawlessly (3300 mile round trip) so I ride without worry that the bike is going to break down. Besides, its hard to worry when you're having so much fun!!!

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #39 of 52 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Cajunbass............... It reads: "he gave his only 'begotten' son" Thought you might like to know............

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #40 of 52 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Cajunbass............... It reads: "he gave his only 'begotten' son" Thought you might like to know............
By George. How did I miss that all this time?

Corrected, and thanks.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
post #41 of 52 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 6:32 pm

2000 K1200LT with 71,000 miles...not a hiccup and has never left me stranded, and I ride it like I stole it..
post #42 of 52 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Just ride it and enjoy it.

Folks who own LT's either ride or bitch. When they ain't riding, they find something to bitch about.

B D R
post #43 of 52 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 9:26 am

Quote:

Well thats a pretty tall order . Not sure how you got so puffed up on yourself , but if you ride that well to be that close to me. I'm afraid the Rock chips will be unavoidable .
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #44 of 52 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Well thats a pretty tall order . Not sure how you got so puffed up on yourself , but if you ride that well to be that close to me. I'm afraid the Rock chips will be unavoidable .
Rock

Rock-
I've seen you wrench and know iff'n you can wrench like that you can certainly ride
Now I've seen John,Joe and Neil ride...not for long though cause they were WAY gone in short work after each stop
as I worked on my "Smoothness".......yeah that's it-smooooothness

When I read "I Guarantee!!" I thought this is definitely gonna ruffle some feathers..as it should. Oh what fun it can be here with a leetle aggitation

Mike
Smoothing on an LT
post #45 of 52 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 5:40 am

Greetings Harleybmwbiker.

Jump onto your new LT and enjoy it. My '99 has been most well behaved since I've owner her. Just one thing. Some people around here live by the quote of "ride it like you stole it". Well, if you live by that knuckleheaded attitude, you're be "walking while you're repairing it". Understand? Yes, I know you do.

Climb aboard and pick your favourite destination.

Kindest regards and ride safe.

Paul Harrington
AU

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #46 of 52 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 6:20 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well I am not offended by the remark, I do ride it like I stole it.

Now that does not mean beat the crap out of it. There is a difference of running the bike and trashing the bike.

This bike was made to run, and at high speeds, and pretty good RPM's.

I too am on the edge of my seat with all the hype and concerns but I know I love the bike the more I ride it like I stole it, and it is a fine machine.

ALL brands have issues that affect a percentage of their bikes.

Ride the bike and enjoy it.

If it breaks there is a lot of help here to get you going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowbmw
Greetings Harleybmwbiker.

Jump onto your new LT and enjoy it. My '99 has been most well behaved since I've owner her. Just one thing. Some people around here live by the quote of "ride it like you stole it". Well, if you live by that knuckleheaded attitude, you're be "walking while you're repairing it". Understand? Yes, I know you do.

Climb aboard and pick your favourite destination.

Kindest regards and ride safe.

Paul Harrington
AU

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #47 of 52 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 7:56 am

I bought an 06 new from the dealer and it broke down 8 times in a year.

But would I buy another - yep, as I think I must have had a Friday afternoon / Monday morning job.

Ride safe

Martin
post #48 of 52 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 9:26 am

I bought my '02 LT this fall after 40 years of Harleys. Harleys are extremely reliable NOW! But...I remember a time when all I did was wrench on them! It gave me something to do during the long Winters in Minnesota.
Bottom line....I took the Lt on a Fall run through Missouri put 1700 miles on ...and ...not a issue! The bike rides and runs great!!!
I am 58 now and don't plan on owning any other bike except..BMW.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #49 of 52 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:17 am

2006 broke

I have had similar problems with my 2006, All factory F***-ups in the harness installation. The factory did not route the harness in the correct locations which lead to shorts and problems. The right grip heat quit. The Headlight fuse opened, at night of cource. The fuel pump had a hose break, internal by-pass hose located in the gas tank. Loss of fuel pressure stops the motor everytime.

I too would by another one. It is the best two-up bike I have rode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey03
I bought an 06 new from the dealer and it broke down 8 times in a year.

But would I buy another - yep, as I think I must have had a Friday afternoon / Monday morning job.

Ride safe

Martin
post #50 of 52 Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser1200
I have had similar problems with my 2006, All factory F***-ups in the harness installation. The factory did not route the harness in the correct locations which lead to shorts and problems. The right grip heat quit. The Headlight fuse opened, at night of cource. The fuel pump had a hose break, internal by-pass hose located in the gas tank. Loss of fuel pressure stops the motor everytime.

I too would by another one. It is the best two-up bike I have rode.

Yep, that's the sort of problems.

Do you reckon it is just the 06 models with the cam bus wiring loom - total cods up that is, if only they stuck to the basics - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in