Beginner sins 24 hours. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Beginner sins 24 hours.

Yesterday I got my Lt 2004. I have made my first experiences in this short time with were both god and bad. Me and my wife were out in rather a cold Swedish autumn weather. We really enjoy the ride. Of course I hade to concentrate very much in the ride because of the bikes weight. Itís a heavy thing to handle but everything went without any great problems till we, after visiting some friends, packed for the homerun, and of course dropt it. It was not a fun experience. I got really scared. Amazingly no scratch neither on wife or bike. Shaky after that two strong men lifted it up, and I started the engine again, I tried to put in the first gear. After letting go the clutch the motor stopped. I tried several times with the same result. After idle running for some minutes everything started to function normally again. What was happening? Hade it to do with the motor oil? After a little tens ride home I have decided that I will go out for a ride first thing tomorrow. But first a god nights sleep after a eventful first day with our new family member Ė the LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 6:56 pm

It's OK..."most" have dropped their LT at some point or another. Are you sure that you weren't leaving the sidestand down (in your unsettled state) and if so, when you released the clutch, the engine shut off?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 7:01 pm

Welcome to the DA club. I dropped mine also with the wife on broad, also no damage to either. That was when we had over 10,000 mile on the bike, yes she still goes with me.

Enjoy the new ride.

Take your time when going slow, remember keep the wheel streigh when stopping this helps to keep the balance when coming to a stop.

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks both for a quick and encouraging response Ė it could had been the problem with the stand. In my little nervous state I didnít check. But which technique shall I use to get it up again if Iím alone.
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 7:35 pm

Glad to hear there was no damage (to wife or bike) when you dropped it.

There is a short video on this site somewhere. It shows the proper technique that enables one person to pick up the K1200LT. I have it stored on my PC and can email it to you if you don't find it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:02 pm

Joachim,

Watch this video. http://john.munson.net/revspickup.mov

It is really very easy. Just push with your legs. Do not try to lift with your back. Grab onto the handlebars with your right hand and the the handle with your left hand and slowly walk back into the bike. Small short steps will help.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the DA

Don't feel bad about dropping the big bike. I dropped ours the first day of the first big trip - twice in a row - with the wife on board. Yes, she still rides with me. But she won't let me forget it. And, while the bike is heavy to lift, it does come right up if you follow the lifting procedure and use your legs.
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Dropped mine for the first time last week, I was screwing around, playing with the centerstand on an uneven sidewalk in my backyard and down she went.

After picking it up (within 20 seconds) I noticed the clutch engaged much sooner than normal, I barely let the lever out 5mm or so and it was fully engaged, where normally I have at least twice that amount. After several short trips it was back to normal. Maybe yours did the same thing and it just stalled out? I figured there was some air introduced into the clutch cylinder or something that had to be worked out. All back to normal now.

Rick
'01 LT
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 2:39 am Thread Starter

Ohhh that was a video that give confident. But I wont try it to day! Ore maybe I will. Over here it is sunday morning now and I will son dress for the sermon. We celebrate Thanksgiving today, but not as great as you do it over there. Never the less, In my thoughts I will bring back yesterdays experiences, with the god ending of the bad, and all the fun with the god. In the god is of course also the meeting with you guys. Sorry for my very bad english.
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 9:25 am

Joachim,

Don't worry about your english. It is much better than our Swedish.

Have fun and be safe,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 9:47 am

Almost 30,000 miles on mine before I dropped it (with wife on back). A steep angled rest area and I was not paying attention. Went to put my foot down and the lean angle was past the point of no return. Bike went down hard and took off the left mirror. Wife and I were able to right the bike and I had to baby the clutch for the next 60 miles. Next morning the clutch was back to normal. Replaced mirror and chrome strip on left bag, good as new. Wife still likes me, even though I have dropped the GS with her on it too.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 4:52 am

I DROPPED MINE AT 50+ MPH, got a broke arm and hand out of the deal.. Your lucky... Keep riding...
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 5:26 pm

I dropped mine the first day I rode it home from the dealer as I was turning into the driveway for the first time. I was able to pick it up using the back up to it method.

I dropped it two hours later, taking it off the center stand. I had to get help that time because it was laying sort of downhill.

The next morning I dropped it in the parking lot at church. I had help there almost before it hit the ground.

I've dropped it twice more and was able to pick it up myself both times.

All five were at very low speed, and all were the result of hitting the front brake with the wheel cocked (turned). Don't do that. You'd think I'd learn wouldn't you?

No damage to the bike or the rider through all that.
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 6:33 pm

I meant to ask this before:

This " Droppers anonymes" club we have, after how many years does the membership expire? I dropped it twice in the first year (1999 & 2000) that should have made me a charter member. But no drops since. But I will admit to a few near drops...

I would not worry about dropping it on the first day, it has happend to most of us in the beginn.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #15 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Smile Beginner also

Hi All

I have also just bought a 2003LT. Has 60k (kilos)approx 35k (Miles) on the clock. I traded my old R1100RT and felt a little sad leaving it. But now re this LT. I was in awe when first trialing the bike and thought that it maybe a little big for me. I am only 5' 8" and weigh 87 kilos. Now that I have purchased and rode it for a week and getting used to this big bike, I am very impressed and am glad I purchased it. The handling and comfort are great. Love it!!.

Nearly dropped it while trying to place it on the side stand, the ground was not level and the weight of the bike started to lean to the left. My wife had just got off and I asked her to help, she just stood there and stated "I told you the bike is too big for you". Here I was struggling to hold the bike and she was stating that. I eventually got the bloody thing upright and have been very careful for not to happen again. My wife now also loves the bike now as I am getting used to the mass. My wife loves the comfort.

I have two questions . I live in Sydney, Australia. and all our fuel is done on litres. My tank is supposed to hold 25 litres. my fuel gauge is seems to be inacturate as when I get to less than the quarter mark I still have 10 litres of fuel. is there a way to change/adust the sensor to have so that when it reads half, I have 12.5 litres.

Other question is my antenna of the radio seems to be bad as have static all the time. even on FM Stations. Is there an aftermarket antenna that I could purchase that would be better than the BMW.

Glad to be in the club

Graham

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in