Where is this oil leaking from? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Cool Where is this oil leaking from?

My 1999 LT has NEVER done a H-D imitation of dripping oil when parked -- until the last couple of weeks, that is. I cannot figure out where the engine is leaking oil. It's wet in front of the oil filter cover, none behind and none above and to the front like it's from the timing chain cover. I wipe of the bottom of the crankcase; but, in 25 mi., there's enough oil on the front bottom of the crankcase to drip on the floor of the garage.

One other item that could be related is that I had apparently overfilled the crankcase on the last oil change and ridden 1,000 miles or so before draining the excess -- thanks to Overton's oil extractor designed for boats where you must drain through the dipstick tube.

Is it possible that I've managed to blow the front and maybe rear crank seals? Please say that that ain't so!!

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 9:51 pm

Just how much "extra" did you put in it?
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcbrowne
Is it possible that I've managed to blow the front and maybe rear crank seals? Please say that that ain't so!!
My 2001 started leaking from the rear main at 66k miles, and I could see oil residue along the crack where the tranny meets the motor. Pull the lower fairing and it may be more clear to you.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Hi, Paul - yeppir, an educated guess is the rear main seal. Toad just had it replaced after 105K miles. And when you see it, you'll wonder what took it so long. That leetle thang just takes a beatin' and keeps on tickin'.

Were I you, I'd get after it right soon, cuz it ain't gonna fix itself, and just may bring damage to some other related areas. In addition, you might check out some of Dave Shealey's earlier posts on the subject - a good primer on how it should be handled.

Hope I'm wrong, Paul, and maybe the experts will jump in and add further info.
post #5 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

It was maybe 1/2 quart over. And, how, if it's the rear main, is the oil only showing up at the FRONT of the underside of the crankcase? Mileage is 40K.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:35 pm

Check that the oil filler plug is tight and that the o-ring inside it isn't cracked. The front of the oil filter cover is exactly where the oil runs to when it has an opportunity to run from there.

Dan
New Hampshire
2002 K1200LTC
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:43 pm

Oil Leak

It sounds to me like the infamous timing chain cover leak that was SO prevalent on RS models.
Have you recently had any service that might have involved removing the cam cover? Maybe the sealant wasn't applied properly when it was re-installed.
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:44 pm

Quote:
It was maybe 1/2 quart over. And, how, if it's the rear main, is the oil only showing up at the FRONT of the underside of the crankcase? Mileage is 40K.
Well, we don't know eggzactly, but it's just a swag. You will have to pull that over fairing piece to get a good look. It could be the timing chain cover, too. Remember, the advice you get here could be worth the price you paid!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Darn! That sounded too simple. No problem with the filler plug or gasket. At the front of the bottom of the crankcase, there are three bolts in front of the oil filter cover. All appear tight, but the middle bolt itself looks to be leaking! This makes no sense. There's NO oil at the rear of the engine.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Munson, could you explain "pyromainiac" and 2001 LT Up In Flames?

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #11 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:35 am

Quote:
Darn! That sounded too simple. No problem with the filler plug or gasket. At the front of the bottom of the crankcase, there are three bolts in front of the oil filter cover. All appear tight, but the middle bolt itself looks to be leaking! This makes no sense. There's NO oil at the rear of the engine.
Paul, are you talking about the three bolts shown in the third pic in this article: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles...rticle&artid=4

If so, two primary possibilities. Either you haven't noticed the oil is from the timing cover above the front two (unlikely), or it's a factory problem of insufficient sealant application about the flange adjacent to the leaker (a porous casting is also a possibility, but that's a *very* rare occurance).

Any way you can post a pic, preferably with the lower center fairing panel removed?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #12 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Cool

Well, I cleaned off my glasses, wiped off the oil and looked at the three bolts and surrounding area for the leak. Three bolts -- I only had two! The middle one was missing. The oil was coming out where the bolt should have been. The other bolts were tight and there's no history of the bike's oil pan being taken off. I guess Munich may have been short on bolts one day! I'm glad that it was such a simple thing.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT

Last edited by paulcbrowne; Nov 28th, 2005 at 9:23 pm.
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 7:29 pm

my 2001 with 36K miles has just recently started leaking in the same exact area. just a drip on the floor every now and then for now, I snugged the bolts a bit for the oil pan but it still seems damp at the fron of the oil pan. I am due for an oil change, so I'm hoping the o'ring has gotten brittle or cracked. It has been about 9K on the Amsoil synthetic oil this go round.

My 01 has 3 bolts across the front of the oil pan but it appears there is an additional hole without a bolt, not sure if it was intended to have one or not. Maybe someone with one of the 99-01 models can comment or post a picture

Joe and Robin
2001 K1200LTC 60K miles
space coast of Florida

Last edited by lavamanz; Nov 28th, 2005 at 7:57 pm.
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:49 am Thread Starter

The shop manual for the 1999 and Mark's picture definitely show 3 bolts across the front. The middle hole where I had no bolt was definitely tapped for a bolt.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in